• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

"Barn Find" 1980 242.

mopar318

I picked up my new 242 over the weekend. This was for sale on craigslist for a while at $1500. It had really crappy pictures and looked like a rust bucket. A week ago, I saw it on craigslist again at a much lower price. I went and looked at it not expecting much, but was surprised on how nice it was for the year.

The under body was extremely clean. There is a rust issue on the drivers side quarter panel, but should be an easy fix. There are various spots where with some surface rust. If you know the salt belt, its like a 10 year old car. I came home, looked over all of the photos I took and made an offer on it.:)

The car has not ran in 10 years. I got it off the trailer, and the first thing I did is clean it inside and out. I put a battery in it, and gave it some cranks. It fires, but won't run. Fuel pressure is at 5 psi before the filter. All injectors are getting fuel, and I have good spark. I think it either needs a secondary fuel pump or a fuse.

Nice find. Looks like it already has a GT grill, wheels, and stripes. Hopefully that means the previous owners were enthusiasts. What are your plans?

Nice find. Looks like it already has a GT grill, wheels, and stripes. Hopefully that means the previous owners were enthusiasts. What are your plans?

The car was on a property that got sold, so the guy I dealt with was the car owners uncle and father. They said the family acquired the car in 1982, and it was passed down to several of the kids.

All of the parts are dealer installed items. I will list what I know, and other can add what they see.

1. ? Grill
2. GT wheels
3. Stripes
4. ? steering wheel
5. Leather Shift boot
6. GT instrument panel
7. Passenger side grab handle
8. CB radio
9. Flexible map light.

Last edited:
Yeah I don't think those are gt stripes. They don't wrap up onto the trunk, also that's a DL grille with foglights, it's slightly different from the gt grille. Plus that coin tray on the dash is nice too!

Cool! Was your barn car a nightmare to get home like mine or did your wheels actually turn lol.

No, it was quite easy actually. It really wasn't in a barn, but rather a new pole building with a concrete floor.

I can push it around by myself easily.

Real nice! I have a good seat to match those, but unfortunately, it's for the passenger side. But then, you're the upholstery guy and will prolly want to pimp it out, big time.

Awesome! The K-Jet system will probably need an overhaul from sitting but that's what we're here for! :volvo:

Thanks! I think I am pretty close to figuring it out. I am getting fuel out of the in-tank pump, but only 5psi to the fuel filter, so I think the in-line pump is shot. It is turning on though.:wtf:

Very cool find! I am currently in the market for one of those grab handles! It is not everyday that you find a 242 with so many awesome options!

Very cool find! I am currently in the market for one of those grab handles! It is not everyday that you find a 242 with so many awesome options!

Finding the rubber/vinyl cover is the tricky part. If you find one without it, a piece of the foam trim on that side can be trimmed to blend in pretty nicely.

Back