• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

850 dashboard reinforcement - better than fiberglass?

Jack

junkman
Believe it or not but I actually found a perfect 850 dashboard. Now
I want to reinforce it inside with something that will bond to the plastic better than fiberglass. I reinforced my almost perfect dash (currently installed) about 8 years ago with fiberglass cloth and resin. 3m stuff

While the dash is holding up well, much of the resin has unglued. I even sanded prior to application.

So I?m looking for something that will bond well with the plastics as I know I will never find a dash as nice as this one

Jack

I used some 2-part plastic epoxy about 5 years ago under my 850 dash to accomplish various things (like hold down the airbag flap & align the part that likes to separate from the middle vent) It seems to hold up fine. It doesn't get gooey in heat as far as I can tell.

I used some 2-part plastic epoxy about 5 years ago under my 850 dash to accomplish various things (like hold down the airbag flap & align the part that likes to separate from the middle vent) It seems to hold up fine. It doesn't get gooey in heat as far as I can tell.

thats something along the lines I think I need. I just dont know whats the best products

I'll need quite a bit of it too

Check on the bottom side of the dash. Somewhere on there should be a logo that says what the plastic is made of. From what I can remember it was ABS, so something like the epoxy may be a better route. I reinforced several key areas on the R years ago when I had it out, no idea how it's doing now, 8 years or so later and living a few states away.

thats something along the lines I think I need. I just dont know whats the best products

I'll need quite a bit of it too

I used this stuff.

Also used it to rebuild the glovebox frame on the S70 when I had an aerosol can explode the glovebox into a million pieces one summer

51DxJGFLpXL._PIbundle-8,TopRight,0,0_SX236SY500SH20_.jpg

Check on the bottom side of the dash. Somewhere on there should be a logo that says what the plastic is made of. From what I can remember it was ABS, so something like the epoxy may be a better route. I reinforced several key areas on the R years ago when I had it out, no idea how it's doing now, 8 years or so later and living a few states away.

my dash that I did years ago is doing fine for the most part. You have to reinfoce everything or the cracks will form in new areas.

my dash
http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/171818-diy-850-dashboard-repair/page/3/#comments

will be trying this
http://media.wuerth.com/stmedia/shop/masterpages0000/std.lang.all/02512.pdf

Are you still planning to reinforce with glass cloth? That Wuerth stuff looks like a good adhesive, but appears to be thick like caulk. The PDF says apply a minimum thickness of 3mm for bonding. I don't think it would saturate cloth.

WEST System G/flex toughened flexible epoxy will wet out glass and can be thickened to fill gaps when bonding.

I am starting to sound like a salesman, but I have no association with the stuff except as a user. I think it is a great company with superior products and customer service.

Are you still planning to reinforce with glass cloth? That Wuerth stuff looks like a good adhesive, but appears to be thick like caulk. The PDF says apply a minimum thickness of 3mm for bonding. I don't think it would saturate cloth.

WEST System G/flex toughened flexible epoxy will wet out glass and can be thickened to fill gaps when bonding.

I am starting to sound like a salesman, but I have no association with the stuff except as a user. I think it is a great company with superior products and customer service.

no this is good stuff.
I think I'll use a combo of both
yes Ill will still use the cloth

just ordered 8z kit to see how it goes... fingers crossed

Last edited:
Back