• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

volvo powered S-10?

donalson

well WAY back in '07 I tried to get ahold of an s10... specifically my memas (grandmother-in-law)... this was a "farm truck" used on their 20 acres... would run into town on occasion... at that point it had been parked and replaced with a newer model S10... needed an exhaust manifold and some eaten wires replaced... she wouldn't let it go as it was papas (her husband) who'd passed a few years prior... prior to them owning it it was owned by the local water company... it still has bits of the service company sticker on the door lol.

now a few years latter she's down sizing, shes giving me the truck in trade for some work (that i'd do for free but she'd insist on paying me for)

it's an '88 2.5L duke/tech 4 with a slushy box trans.

IMG_0639.JPG

IMG_0646.JPG

interior was full of crap.
IMG_0653.JPG

the anemic 2.5L iron duke/tech4 with it's all iron OHV pushrod awesomeness.... 92hp 130tq
IMG_0654.JPG

I knew it had some running problems and hoped to get it sorted before I did anything else with it... a few mice had nests up in the engine bay, found another one in the cowl vent, some of the wire harness had been eaten and i was told the exhaust manifold was cracked and the fuel pump needed replaced...

some of the mouse eaten harness... not to bad honestly.
DSC08493.JPG

fuel pump was OK but the hose connecting to the sender had melted... replaced with some EFI hose and that took care of the fuel issues
DSC08507.JPG

replaced the cap, plugs, wires, rotor and got her running... but she was rought... compression test told the story 110-0-0-110 so pulled the head to verify the inevitable blown HG

I found this while pulling stuff...
DSC08517.JPG

and this tells the story
DSC08520.JPG

at this point I had a decision to make...
DSC08525.JPG

put the $35 into a headgasket set (yes a SET) or while it's this far apart pull the entire dang thing and test fit the volvo drivetrain... so out it all came....

the same day I picked up the truck I also picked up an '89 745ti... it had been mine but I sold it to a friend some years back with no turbo attached (stock turbo was blowing smoke so i pulled but never got it back together)... but it's been sitting at memas land waiting for him to come and get it... that was back in '07... the mice where far less kind to the volvo :(

a pic of it when I got the engine in back in '04... the engine came from an '86 765 with a nasty body... engine has about 145k miles on it now.
DSC01422.JPG

a quick drop in verified that we have plenty of room... sans the head mount dizzy... I was lucky enough to find that i have the teeth on the shaft for a block mount dizzy so :)...

IMG_0661.JPG

not much room back there.
IMG_0667.JPG

my biggest concern for clearance was the TB and steering shaft... plenty of room... and thats with the pan sitting on the cross rail... when I put a 2x4 under clearance got even better everywhere
IMG_0669.JPG

haven't removed the stock motor mounts from the frame (had to cut into the frame to get to the bottom nut... other option is to drop the lower control arm... but obviously plenty of room once the mounts are gone
IMG_0671.JPG

IMG_0672.JPG

space for a down pipe is a little tight but nothing a BFH can't fix... accessories fitment may be tight... no a/c to worry about so If needed I could run the alternator high on a hacked a/c / alternator mount... will do another test fit with the power steering installed before I go any further though.

plans for a 3" exhaust... which will basically be a down pipe into a cherry bomb or something and a turn down under the bed of the truck.

will be running an aw71 for now... I have 2 and will do the accumulator mod, I would like to do a t5 at some point but budget restraints prevent that for now... for turbo I have a tdo4h 13g... also have a chinabay 50 trim t3t4... will need a '90+ manifold... the stock IC and 3 core volvo radiator fit like it was made for the truck... I have a chinabay FMIC also but it's only a 20x7x3 core so not sure if i should try it out or just sell it and step up to a real big boy IC... for engine control i'm debating on running stock lh2.2 or going stright to Megasquirt... MS would simplify the wiring portion of the install but obviously increase initial cost and require tunning... but it's prob the best way to go if i'm honest with myself.

as of now the next step is to get mounts fabbed up... which means I need to pick up the proper dryer cord to adapt to my MIG lol... one day i'll have 220v running into my own garage... untill then...

*edit* I didn't mention... I hope to bring this truck to the GRM $2011 challenge... won't be super fast or competitive but just want something that is fun to drive around...

and from my findings i've got 4.10 rear end and it's about 500lbs less than the volvo wagon... the iron duke/trans combo should weigh within about 30lbs of the volvo setup... so should be pretty fun.

I really like the idea of the GRM challenge with this thing. Free engine and free vehicle leaves quite a bit of the budget open for go fast mods.

Is it still as heavily weighted to the concourse as it was in previous years?

Believe the challenge rules ate about the same as last year... but its more that I just want to go.... no i won't be competative.... I just thouht it would be a fun engine for my truck that isn't the same v8 everyone always does....

It is a skinny rod block so. It has limitations on power.... but the upupgrade path is welll established

lol i'm picking up a '95 extended cab with the 190hp 4.3L and a 5spd here in another month from a friend... waiting on more info but may have the zq8 "sport suspension" package (fat sways, 2" drop Bilstein shocks) (was thinking of taking the engine and swapping it into the s10 and adding a turbo... but the volvo power should be fun :) ... they are good BS daily drivers... not near the comfort of a volvo but they are simple

and some random facts...
---------------------Volvo ------- S10
wheelbase-------- 109.1--------108.3
track f/r------------57.957.5-----54.1/54.4
curb weight -------3272lbs------2568lbs
length -------------188.4---------178.2

I expect the volvo setup to add less than 50lbs vs the stock duke... the 4l60e weighs 30lbs more than the aw71 the engine should weigh about the same (no accessories) from what I found... so i'd say even with the turbo, IC and such i should weigh in pretty stinkin close to stock... if/when I goto a t5 weigh will be down another 75 lbs or so...

track will increase a bit with these 15x8 weld prostars... picked up a few weeks back... 12 lb wheels FTW (one has been cleaned the other cleaned and a quick polish)... one has a bit of rash but some time should clean it up and get it looking awesome... not bad for $130
IMG_0625.jpg

today is a no school day for the kiddies... so no work to be done today :(

*drools* eikers look pretty sweet.

na these are 2peice alu wheels... 12lbs each made for drag racing but street legal... not sure how they hold up in turns... bought em on a whim... was looking at a parts truck (supposidly an xtreme) and was hopeing to snag all the zq8 suspension bits off of it... wasn't a real xtreme but i tossed an offer on the wheels... unlike volvos it's super easy to find wheels that fit the s10... saw some 20"s a few weeks ago with rubber for $200 lol... camaro wheels bolt up (and look good for the old IROC and such)...

waiting on getting the swap done before i drop any more into the truck itself though...although if i see good shocks at the JY i may snag those

not much today... removed the drivers side frame motor mount and then slipped the drivetrain in complete with trans... the power steering pump will JUST fit... the donor car had a/c also so i've got the big drivers side acc bracket... i'll need to cut it up a bit and just have a top mount alternator

also tossed the front end on just to see how stock hoses fit... i was amazed to see how well it all fits stock IC hose and all... motor mount building will be tight as you can see from the pics the stock 700 mount just sits there with no room to spare... I think i'll end up with some very narrow mounts and then do a 3rd anti tourqe mount along the passenger side frame rail to the head...

still finding a good source for metal to build the mounts...

DSC08539.JPG

DSC08540.JPG

DSC08541.JPG

DSC08543.JPG

turbo v8 s10, run of the mill like mine, but turbo volvo 4 banger, prolly one of the first ever. i love this idea, love the progress, only wish it were done tomorow but good things are worth the wait

lol I wish it was done yesterday... but as people with car projects know (that actually build their own at least) it takes time :-/ lol.

yours is the remote mount turbo v8 right?... looks pretty sweet :)

Back