• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Day dreaming

THEKID

So I was sitting in class thinking what I could do with a Volvo 850 turbo motor and I thought of something but I'm not sure if it will work.

All right guys I have a question but I have no clue if it is possible. I'm a "vw kid" I have a 2001 s4 wagon and I'm about to get a Volvo 850 turbo for free with everything good on the motor and turbo. I want to get a Volvo 240 can I put the 850 turbo motor in it? I'll have the ecu and everything with the 850 and all that.

Thanks

In before the "Search Noob"

The simple answer is Yes it can be done. Easily? again with the simple answer... no.

I want to get a Volvo 240 can I put the 850 turbo motor in it?

There's an answer to your question. But you haven't actually demonstrated enough knowledge for anyone to know whether it's worth answering at length.

Do you know that 240s are rear wheel drive and 850s are front wheel drive?

Because if you do, then your questions should be things like:

Is there a transmission that I can bolt to an 850 engine for a rear wheel drive application?

Can engine mounts be found or fabricated to mount an 850 engine longitudinally?

And, most importantly, is a turbo 850 engine a worthwhile swap, horsepower-wise? Can you get just as much power by turbocharging the 240?

Aaron

Thanks for the replies. My s4 is already full stage 3 I was shooting some ideas around as a summer project and yes I know it would be a bitch but I was just wanting to have some feed back on the topic

Sure you can do it.
I'm in the process of doing it, there are a few other on the board that have done it as well.

Thanks for the replies. My s4 is already full stage 3 I was shooting some ideas around as a summer project and yes I know it would be a bitch but I was just wanting to have some feed back on the topic

Who did your Stage 3 work on the Audi? Just curious as I'm also an Audi vet, had a 2000 S4 sedan and a 2001 S4 Avant but now.......S6 Avant w/ a GT30R and other goodies ( I5 20VT).

Last edited:
Ah heck, while I've got stupid ideas: take the front end of the 850 and mount it in the trunk of the 240 for ultimate drift machine. The best part is all the time savings of not having to wire up your battery in the trunk for better weight distribution! That's the last freebie..

Back