• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

(locking diff) Question for the 940 gurus

N97746

Have been searching all the PickNPulls I can find for a car with a G80 that I can grab. Found an out of the way yard today with a '91 940 Turbo. Unable to do the jack the rear end and rotate the tires test as it is buried in a foot and a half of frozen snow.
Before I trek back in with a snow shovel and jacks, does anyone know the likelihood of this car having a stock locker? Car has been there for a while but only has 117K on the clock.
Thanks.

My 91 940 turbo had one. It was also listed on the window sticker as standard equipment
Damn that?s low mileage to be in the junk yard. Was it hit?

It is a real hike to get to this car but what I may do is go back out and check when it was last registered to get a better idea of mileage accuracy.
I also wonder if it has a solid or IRS rear axle. I tried digging down through the snow to get a look but with bare hands I gave up pretty quick.

If the sticker on the right axle tube is there which they almost always are. (check from rear of the car), check if it is 1031 or 1041.
1031=no locker.
1041=locker.
BR

All US market 940s had locking differentials regardless of turbo/non, or gear ratio.

Unless of course this is one of the few models with IRS

All US market 940s had locking differentials regardless of turbo/non, or gear ratio.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4Ru8DMW-grY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No, they didn't. Volvo's own sales literature from the time period spelled it out. Standard equipment on all turbos, 91 and newer. Standard equipment on all 940s 93 and newer. Even that didn't happen. I have seen plenty of 91-92 NA 7-9 series cars with the G80 in them. Several people on here have found 93 NA cars with open differentials in them. I have never seen a 91 and newer US market Turbo car without the G80. I sold a member on here a differential out of a NA 1993 940 that only had 30,000 miles on it when it was T-boned. That rear axle was open diff. I can guarantee that was the original axle in that car. It was a garage queen that was in show room condition prior the getting into that accident.

And the bar code tag is on the driver's/left side axle tube, not the passenger side. Look for the 1041 on the label to determine whether it is a G80 equipped car. In the US, if it is a 940 SE, it has the locker. It won't do you any good if it is an SE unless you have an IRS car because those have a different axle spline count compared to the straight axle cars.

Last edited:
My 1991 740SE sedan is not IRS reared. Only that 940se is irs for se IRS eee's. If wagon no IRS in 940se rears. My 1991 740SE sedan did not have a locker from the factory. I put one in for sure! But I swapped out the whole rear. Next I'll swap out that 3.73 to a 3.31 when I put in the m90 in it. And again I will swap out the whole rear end to one of my extra parts 3.31 rears with g80 in them stock and already modified to lock up at all speeds!

Course not much time for me to hot rod cars anymore, too busy doing that slave labor thing and now gotta fix the leaky hard trans fluid line at the trans in my 95 940 daily driver. I tightened it up yesterday but I think the hard line is cracked at end. After re-tightening it leaks even worse.. DAmmit, well the beauty is I got a few extra lines good thing I kept all those from every car I scrapped.

Well just back back from the JY. A little more info, car I was looking at is a '91 940 SE turbo. Car does have IRS, with 117K on the clock, no body damage and last registered in '09. From what I was able to find out, the car should have a locker.
But I may be barking up the wrong tree here as I'm looking to drop the G80 in a '93 straight axle 240. As 2manyturbos pointed out it may have a different spline count. Rats. Can anybody confirm?
On the other hand I did find a '92 wagon with what appears to be a factory tow hitch. Was the locker standard on tow hitch supplied cars? This does have an alloy rear diff cover if that is any clue. Or just because it has ABS?.
The axle sticker is intact and has the number P1216413 and ratio 3.31 above the bar code with *T101784 below. Can anybody interpret that? I didn't have a jack or tools with me to pull the diff cover but that might be the next step.
Thanks gents for your help.

Yes the IRS locker and the Nascar type solid rear have different number of splines on the axle shafts so the g80's in each one do not interchange.

Best G80 is in those pre 95 960 wagons, fyi. Stronger g80's tag on rear drivers side back of tube says 1041K, K being better then 1041 without K.

Yes it will bolt in and fit in your later 240 solid rear.

Back