• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

M47/3.31 vs T5/3.73

PDXBryan

I've got a '91 245 5 speed and I think I'll be pretty happy with the gearing once I coax a bit more power from the redblock. I also have a '93 245 autotragic that I'm considering a T5 swap. I won't bore you with the math, but based on my calculations the two tranny/ FD combos end up being quite similar (app. 5% difference) when I theoretically compare 1st gears and overdrives. The T5 I'm considering has the 3.35 1st gear and the .68 overdrive (5.0 Mustang).
So to summarize: Am I correct in thinking the T-5 with 3.73 rear end should perform very similar to the M47 with 3.31 rear end?

if you swap the .68 overdrive for a .72 yes. Still a bit too tall for cruising around the hillier bits of Portland though.

If I do stay redblock it will be pretty conservative since I'm looking for good economy too. From looking over the n/a B230 threads I think a torquey 140-ish hp build is pretty reasonable, right?. I think the stock 5sp gearing with this power would make me happy enough especially if I can make it NOT feel and sound like a tractor over 4-6K rpm range.

Thanks

For what its worth, im ditching my 3.31 for something higher. I have an M47 and drift my car with a larger turbo and it feels like a slug until its actually rolling. Takes a second for the wheels to spin.

For what its worth, im ditching my 3.31 for something higher. I have an M47 and drift my car with a larger turbo and it feels like a slug until its actually rolling. Takes a second for the wheels to spin.

Good to hear from you! Your attitude still blows me away especially after your band"s "big adventure". I can imagine for your purposes going to at least a 3.73 would be a good move. Is your M47 holding up alright?
The bulk of my sideways action will be limited to secluded on-ramps and dirt roads. I'm hoping for the best combination of mpgs and decent performance I can muster. My dream car would be a duplication of the TDI powered 245 I got to drive. It wasn't my car to drift but I could tell, with all that torque, it would've been great at it. TDI swap is definitely in the cards eventually but for the near future I'm starting to lean towards the warmed over 8V.

Back