• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Where to find 3.07 gears for 1030

bartman

I have followed all the discussion of matching transmissions and rear axle ratios with interest. My situation is like others who find that I am geared way to low, someone remarked, ?you might as well not use 1st gear?, and it?s the truth, as I am getting about 5 miles to the gallon with my 327 stroker! Where should I start looking for a 3.07 gear set, what cars had them. I am using the original 1030.

3.15 ratio came in 83 760 turbo diesel with automatic tranny. Good luck. OR buy new one from sweden somewhere I think you can if you gots lots of monies. Other option put ford 8.8 whole rear end in car..

I know for a fact that volvo only uses 3.73 and up dana 30 type gears and sheet in all there rear ends even the ones with gears lower then 3.73.. So normal dana 30 lower then 3.73 gears won't fit in volvo rear end. Maybe those gears in the links will work. I don't know. Maybe that is only the 1031 volvo rear gears that are like that. All the 1030 might be all the same.

Last edited:
I have followed all the discussion of matching transmissions and rear axle ratios with interest. My situation is like others who find that I am geared way to low, someone remarked, “you might as well not use 1st gear”, and it’s the truth, as I am getting about 5 miles to the gallon with my 327 stroker! Where should I start looking for a 3.07 gear set, what cars had them. I am using the original 1030.

What transmission are you using? Carb or efi ? 5mpg isn’t unrealistic depending on the use of the go-pedal.

I know for a fact that volvo only uses 3.73 and up dana 30 type gears and sheet in all there rear ends even the ones with gears lower then 3.73.. So normal dana 30 lower then 3.73 gears won't fit in volvo rear end. Maybe those gears in the links will work. I don't know. Maybe that is only the 1031 volvo rear gears that are like that. All the 1030 might be all the same.

What I have read that you cant shim 3,54 diffrential with 3,73 gears. It is close but needs something like 3 mm more space.

Maybe that is only the 1031 volvo rear gears that are like that. All the 1030 might be all the same.

The 1030 is built the same way. The "3.73-up" True-Trac is what fits the 3.54 and 3.31 gears also. There is no carrier split, in the Volvo.

Which means, if I understand this correctly... even though (for example) Jeep issued a 3.07 in a Dana 30, it will probably slide onto a Volvo carrier but it's not going to be positioned in the proper place in the pumpkin. It's a lot farther off than shims can correct.

I have a carb and a T5 from a ‘83 Camero that I had re-built to race standards. I could probably look up the tranny ratios but it would be academic.
Also installed a hydraulic throw-out bearing and a TruTrac.
The car is a lot of fun, but it really needs a more hiway type gear..
Could I use the 3.31 gears then if I can find them?

Only if you use a 1031 housing. 3.31's were only available for 1031 diffs.

The tallest gear ratio for a Volvo 1030 gear set is 3.54.

I have a 3.54 R&P and a complete 3.31 rear axle, Mid Hudson Valley, N.Y.

https://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=6119081&postcount=10

Edit:

This is a 4.10 1030 ring gear.

1030RingGearDiameter.jpg

Last edited:
My head is about to explode...so, since I have the original 1980, standard transmission rear end, it’s a 1030 in a 3.73 ratio. Further, since I put a TruTrac in it, this version won’t work with 3.07 gears, correct?
If I purchased a 3.07 set, say from summit, it physically will fit, but not in the correct position, and that it is too far off to shim.
Will my Trutrac fit in a 1031?
At this point, the Ford options are looking better and better, especially since I need wheels....

Correct. Any non Volvo Dana 30 gear set taller than 3.73 will require a different carrier.

Yes, your True-Trac will fit a 1031 housing.

Ay caramba dude, I think you'll find an 8.8 out of an explorer might suit your needs better. I think I paid $150 from pick and pull and someone sells the weld on Volvo brackets, wish I'd known before I cut everything off the 1031. Anyway if you shop right you can get a Ford traction-lok already installed and V8 ratios. I put in the Cobra clutch kit and it lights up both rear 275's. I went the other way for quicker spool and got a 4.10. If you have any fab skills you will probably come out cheaper than paying for a new gearset and having someone set it up. Plus you won't be crying when your 327 breaks you redone 1030/31.

Back