• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Propav8r buys a P2 V70R

Well R ownership is going exactly as I expected lol

The car is a lot of fun, but after a weekend of hard driving at MountainMeet, a faint clunk in the front driver's side suspension got noticeably worse. It was diagnosed as bad spring seats, so I ordered new seats, ball joints, tie rods, and endlinks.

Got through replacing the passenger side yesterday, tackling the driver's side tonight.

Unfortunately I discovered that the 4C strut on the passenger side is effectively dead. Still rides fine and isn't throwing a code, but there's really no resistance on compression and it doesn't rebound.

I'm sort of torn on what to do. It's actually cheaper to buy a complete BC coilover setup for the car, and after talking to a couple people that own them, they seem very pleased with them.

KWs are an option, though more expensive.

I could overhaul the 4C through FCP and just use their lifetime warranty the next time they fail, but the same argument could be made for the BC coilover kit purchased through FCP.

My biggest concern is that I don't want to look at error messages every time I start the car, and I don't want to lose the adaptive throttle or DSTC. I guess that means I'll be cutting the inductors out of the original struts and hiding them somewhere to fool the system.

I also need to replace the LDP apparently. That's not too bad though, about $75 it seems.

Bah, don't buy BC.

I got the front struts off amazon a couple years ago. probably about due on the rears now. Also have a clunk that got worse at MM, could be strut mount (I have those already, they were supposed to be replaced this summer, but... reasons), but I think mine is going to be lower suspension/swaybar related... even though I replaced the end links and a couple other odds and ends when I did the struts. reckon I'll see what's up when I get it on the lift.

what's the ldp?

what's the ldp?

Leak Detection Pump. A couple days ago, I started to get a dash message that said "fuel filler cap open-loose" and Erik says that's almost always an indication that the pump has gone bad. I guess it has something to do with detecting the integrity of the fuel evap system.

Why not? I've talked to three people that have the BR setup on their P2Rs and they all really like them.

Maybe I am misinformed, but I don't think they involve as much or any sketchy welding or cutting compared to an install on a 240. In that case I think they would be worth a shot.

Leak Detection Pump. A couple days ago, I started to get a dash message that said "fuel filler cap open-loose" and Erik says that's almost always an indication that the pump has gone bad. I guess it has something to do with detecting the integrity of the fuel evap system.

oh, on mine it was just the gas cap. check there first, make sure the gasket isn't cracked.

it's hard to find a well maintained 06- m66 R. I was looking for one earlier in the year and couldn't find any near San Jose. Nice purchase!

You've bought VIDA right? Otherwise it is just a parts cannon and that gets REALLY expensive.

Personally, I've never seen that error be the leak detection pump. Typically it is a big leak somewhere- like the gas cap, or maybe the evap line under the car has separated.

With VIDA, you'll do a 5 minute evap test. It will tell you if the pump is running, and if there is a leak, how big. Then you can narrow it down.

Any time I've seen a leak detection pump failure, it threw a check engine light, not a cap loose message.

I've only ridden in one car with BC suspension, it knocked like crazy. But it was old at the time.

Jordan

So the fuel cap message actually went away...maybe it was just a loose cap. Interesting.

Found my clunk in the front left...it was a combination of a worn ball joint and loose swaybar endlink. New spring seats, ball joints, endlinks, and outer tie rod end, aligned on Saturday morning, at the Dragon Saturday afternoon.

The car performed really well. Derrick in the Miata is still quicker through the turns which is...bothersome, but that car is worked over pretty well. Still only 1/3 of the power tho. Argh.

Best bang for the buck would probably be a set of stickier tires, but these truthfully aren't bad. It does have a tendency to understeer/push if you romp on it in a turn too hard, but if you keep it below the limit and listen when the car talks back, it is really more than capable. It ran down a number of cars this weekend, and the only one I was consistently slower than was Derrick.

Anyhow...

JlJx5Dxh.jpg

^Photo by Derrick

Our hammock camping spot early this morning:
8MpEDdAh.jpg

hhHAbzWh.jpg

Hung out at Gravity Cavity a bit:
BMbaSNyh.jpg

It was Minis weekend. Tiny cars, HUGE egos:
Dm6f2Hkh.jpg

Suzuki B-King. Don't see many of these. It's basically a factory-built streetfighter version of the Hayabusa.
plkwzZBh.jpg

I love going to dinner at Tapoco...the parking lot is always like a car show.
jNsYReUh.jpg

We get it bro, your brakes vape.
wrJtUNMh.jpg

WuBRcHbh.jpg

xV3CAjsh.jpg

Are you 100% sure your AWD works ? (you can let it run on jack stands and watch the wheels move) I remember my 04 with working AWD having a tendency to oversteer when pushed hard. But FWD 850's will understeer like dogs.

Looks good, it makes me miss mine. They are fun cars.

Are you 100% sure your AWD works ? (you can let it run on jack stands and watch the wheels move) I remember my 04 with working AWD having a tendency to oversteer when pushed hard. But FWD 850's will understeer like dogs.

Yep, it works. Angle gear collar was replaced about 30k ago, and I've checked it since. It's no atrocious understeer, but its there.

Mine, with the clapped-out stock engine and 5 speed auto, will kick the rear out a LITTLE if you load it up and flick it in the wet.

Eh, maybe the IPD bars have something to do with it. I also don't think y'all understand just how hard this car gets pushed on that road lol

Updates on suspension? 4c is a pretty slick system to have. Was nice when we picked up the 05 and works great in our 07 too, though mileage is around 60k on the car.

mine generally understeers most of the time with 'normal' heavy driving, I have to really almost over-commit to a corner or sweeper to get it to set up and go.. not normally something I like to do with the car

mine generally understeers most of the time with 'normal' heavy driving, I have to really almost over-commit to a corner or sweeper to get it to set up and go.. not normally something I like to do with the car

I think mine also does this, like I can make it feel like its starting to plow if I don't get it good and ready for the corner.

Back