• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

WTF

Bready

board deviant
Had a weird experience yesterday. Was driving during the day and started to get a strange ignition problem - similar to what I've had before when a coil pack goes out. Figured that's what it was and that I'd fix it when I got home. Had a bit of a long drive and the problem worsened.

Got home pulled the first coil pack and plug and the plug's electrode and conductor were gone. I've actually had that happen once before about 5 years ago or so. Swapped out the plug and drove for a bit but the problem was still there. Swapped out the coil pack and no change. Went to plug #2 and it was black with the conductor bent down all the way over the electrode.

Weird - swapped out all the plugs and everything was fine.

What cause the issue with the first two plugs? Detonation? They were OEM Volvo turbo plugs, pretty new. Can't say that I'll be using them again.

Thoughts?

:wave:

I look forward to the day when you actually contribute something worthwhile to a thread...

You know that'll never happen right?

Assuming this is on the C70? I've seen electrodes gone maybe twice, only on aftermarket plugs. One was a Champion in the Dodge (never run those anymore), one on a Delco on my wagon.

Strange that 2 plugs had issues though. The missing electrode I could see as a fluke, poor weld on the conductor, same thing. Having one bent down I'd be looking at intrusion into the chamber, be it the missing electrode, fuel, water, something like that. Any chance you might have an injector sticking open, flooding the cylinder at shutdown, then when you restart it was right on the cusp of hydro but cleared out? Yeah, I know, a hell of a stretch.

Or you're running WAY too much bewst? lol

shut up

only use volvo plugs on these engines or NGK copper

little bit of moisture or oil causes the packs to short

Jack please stop bothering me.

If it helps the term "OEM Volvo Turbo Plugs" = "Volvo Plugs" which I'm not likely to purchase again.

You know that'll never happen right?

Sadly I think you are right.

Assuming this is on the C70? I've seen electrodes gone maybe twice, only on aftermarket plugs. One was a Champion in the Dodge (never run those anymore), one on a Delco on my wagon.

Strange that 2 plugs had issues though. The missing electrode I could see as a fluke, poor weld on the conductor, same thing. Having one bent down I'd be looking at intrusion into the chamber, be it the missing electrode, fuel, water, something like that. Any chance you might have an injector sticking open, flooding the cylinder at shutdown, then when you restart it was right on the cusp of hydro but cleared out? Yeah, I know, a hell of a stretch.

Or you're running WAY too much bewst? lol

Strange to note I've had two missing electrodes both on the same cylinder, once yesterday another time years ago.

The second plug was just weird. Other three were perfect.

Replaced with Delco (all the local Schucks had) and it's running perfectly.

:e-shrug:

Electrode on plug 1 was "gone" by erosion or mechanical damage?

And by "plug 2" you are referring to a different cylinder (#2) or the second plug in the same hole?

Interesting.

Denso plug wires. My 7mm Denso wires haven't had a hiccup in 4 years. Volvo spark plugs..... Well.... I'd check the coil packs too.

Oil consumption will destroy plugs.

There is an engine I work on that is known for burning oil on the rear cylinders. I just did plugs on one last week and also did a WTF. An old skool dude informed me it was due to this known engine issue. Meh, it had 100k. Swapped plugs.

Last edited:
Electrode on plug 1 was "gone" by erosion or mechanical damage?

And by "plug 2" you are referring to a different cylinder (#2) or the second plug in the same hole?

Interesting.

Mechanical - either plug failure or something damaging it, hence the detonation question.

Plug numbers on this end - facing the front of the motor 1 is far left 2 next etc.

Oil consumption will destroy plugs.

There is an engine I work on that is known for burning oil on the rear cylinders. I just did plugs on one last week and also did a WTF. An old skool dude informed me it was due to this known engine issue. Meh, it had 100k. Swapped plugs.

You might have a very valid point there. 230K on this motor and oil consumption has been an issue.

But will it cause that sort of plug damage? Fouling and that sort of thing I can see, electrodes falling off? :e-shrug:

You might have a very valid point there. 230K on this motor and oil consumption has been an issue.

But will it cause that sort of plug damage? Fouling and that sort of thing I can see, electrodes falling off? :e-shrug:

It it possible. I also did a big WTF!? when I pulled a plug recently and found a broken insulator. It had crusty build up on it too. White. I just replaced the plugs and moved on.

Back