• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Good, Stiff shocks?

The shocks on my 240 are totally shot and I’m going to be replacing them. I was going to go for an oem shock but decided to upgrade them while I’m at it. Some konis or bilstiens would be baller but I don’t want to spend that much money soooo does anyone have any recommendations for some good, stiff, quality shocks/struts but at a price that won’t make me go broke?

Last edited:
The good cheap shocks last half as long or less. So in the end they will give you your moneys worth but you will buy the cheap shocks two or three times compared to the service life you will get with Bilsteins or Konis.

That said I understand and there are some reasonable options that will give you better handling than stock but you know they aren't real performance shocks. Affordable shocks that have served me well.
Boge Turbo Gas. I think these became Sachs Super touring? Maybe someone can claifiy?
Gabriel Ultra. An affordable gas shock for the 240. Both front and rear available.
KYB GR2 version. front and rear available. They are ok.
I bought the ALBO yellow gas shocks on ebay to try myself but haven't installed them yet. Maybe someone has used them and can give their experience?

Cry once and do it right. Koni or Bilsteins are a good upgrade. Yes, worth the money.

Check the FS area, good used ones come up all the time.

Gabriel Ultra are disco'ed. Get supply now. I bought a set to try. No Bilstein Tourings in the rear. Not been a good experience for me. Others have documented on the board.

The left over gabriel stock is all over ebay for the gabriel ultra. Also check rock auto. I got the rear ultra shocks there for $10 each. They seem to be about as well made as KYB and the Bilstein TC which I too have not had good experience so I haven't used them in a long time.

The rear kyb gas adjust version is stiff on compression but the setting sucks on rebound so I prefer the GR2 if it has to be a KYB shock. They have lasted about 20-25k miles for me.

In my experience non of these shocks like a low profile tire. I would suggest not going below a 60 series sidewall with shocks like this. Maybe if you have very good roads where you live. lol.

I put Koni's on my V8 car, played with the adjustments. Rides and handles amazing.

The left over gabriel stock is all over ebay for the gabriel ultra. Also check rock auto. I got the rear ultra shocks there for $10 each. They seem to be about as well made as KYB and the Bilstein TC which I too have not had good experience so I haven't used them in a long time.

The rear kyb gas adjust version is stiff on compression but the setting sucks on rebound so I prefer the GR2 if it has to be a KYB shock. They have lasted about 20-25k miles for me.

In my experience non of these shocks like a low profile tire. I would suggest not going below a 60 series sidewall with shocks like this. Maybe if you have very good roads where you live. lol.

Yes. They are still out there. My intent was that I would not expect any warranty with the Gabriel shock.

If I where to want to invest in the proper shocks, it would be from corner weight measurements, known spring rates, and have a set valved for the car. Anything else is really a mix match that may come out OK. IPD paired their lowering springs with Turbo Sachs when I bought my suspension. Um. No.
Honestly, though one person's stiff ride is another person's jam. It is pretty subjective, although everyone seems to understand when it isn't quite right.

The way they come from the factory. The Koni makes your car go from a benign grandma car to amazing handling with one part. The bilsteins are very good and long lasting but the valving is comfort oriented. You need to have the Bilsteins revalved into something better for sport driving than what their standard settings are.

I am still waiting for a John V rant on how Koni does not specify their valving and how stock bilsteins are valved for a Fiat Cinquecento, and his disgust for people "liking" a certain brand. :D

In a way, he is right ofcourse. "I like bilstein", "When I switched to koni shocks my handling improved tremendously" Easy to do when you are replacing 30 year old junk.

I guess it is really hard to give a good comparison between all available volvo shocks, because most people only tried one brand and they like it because their stock junk was worn to ****.

I am still waiting for a John V rant on how Koni does not specify their valving and how stock bilsteins are valved for a Fiat Cinquecento, and his disgust for people "liking" a certain brand. :D

In a way, he is right ofcourse. "I like bilstein", "When I switched to koni shocks my handling improved tremendously" Easy to do when you are replacing 30 year old junk.

I guess it is really hard to give a good comparison between all available volvo shocks, because most people only tried one brand and they like it because their stock junk was worn to ****.

Why the whiney ass sh!t talk? You say 'rant" when your post beginning is just pointless sh!t..... And then you say I'm right. Brilliant.

And you're last bit is 100%...
but why do you have to open with insults?
Is this supposed to be ironic?

The shocks on my 240 are totally shot and I?m going to be replacing them. I was going to go for an oem shock but decided to upgrade them while I?m at it. Some konis or bilstiens would be baller but I don?t want to spend that much money soooo does anyone have any recommendations for some good, stiff, quality shocks/struts but at a price that won?t make me go broke?

The stingy man pays the most.

Why the whiney ass sh!t talk? You say 'rant" when your post beginning is just pointless sh!t..... And then you say I'm right. Brilliant.

And you're last bit is 100%...
but why do you have to open with insults?
Is this supposed to be ironic?

Which insult?

Back