• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

MoCounselor's Project Thorisdottir (Annie, For Short)

This is fantastic news! way to stick with it. I had been checking for updates and I'm thrilled to see it heading towards a resolution.

Update:

We may very well have found the culprit of all of the non-starting/running rough issues:

That's a resistor on the circuit board of the ecu and it's obviously bad. We traced this down after discovering that if we grounded pin 17 on the ecu harness with the harness unplugged from the ecu, the car would fire up and run, (albeit running REALLY rich.) But, the moment you we plugged the harness back into the ecu, the car would go back to cranking, but not starting.

Ordered a 5-pack of resistors from digipack in the same value today. Thankfully, I have an electronics friend who can desolder the old resistor and solder in the new one. Should have the parts here and have it replaced by next Saturday. Fingers crossed that this fixes the no start issue, and we can move on to timing, tuning, etc.

Also, I spent some time after my friend Gray, whom I have now deemed "The Car Wizard," left on body wiring. I got all lights working except the turn signals/hazards, and the passenger headlight. As someone evidently cut the passenger wiring and some point and "fixed it" via wire nuts. *shakes head*

Pic of the car semi-lit up just to prove it's working, and because it makes me happy to see it getting closer to being road worthy...

Thanks buddy!

It’s definitey motivating to feel like it’s finally getting somewhere!

The plan is to get it running well so I can put some miles on it to troubleshoot the eventual other things that will likely pop up, then start redoing the suspension, etc, etc. I’m SO glad that I got talked out of unloading it! ����

Last edited:
More progress today:

All lights are now working, including hazards, turn signals, high and low beams, taillights, brake lights, and reverse lights.

It's a small step, but I'll take every one I can get to reach the end goal of getting the 242 on the road soon!

Daily update: we replaced the resistor on the ecu and still at the same spot of it cranking, but not starting, with the ecu plugged in. Rechecked everything through troubleshooting and all indications are that it is still an ecu issue, which has us now thinking that the resistor being cracked wasn't the only thing that went bye-bye in this ecu. It's been reman'd once before, as it doesn't have the Bosch or Jetronic tags on it any longer. So, now the hunt is on for a known-good ecu to swap in, just to be 100% sure.

If anyone has a 0280000503 or 0280000510 ecu that they know is good, I'll most likely be looking for one shortly. If a known, good ecu doesn't fix it, I may be at either the point of theorhetically getting a new harness, or more likely ditching the lh and going another route.

Onward...

The Style 5's (BBS)? I actually ended up selling them. I'm a bit adhd when it comes to wheels, so they went to a buddy that refinished them and put them on his wife's e36 convertible.

The Style 5's (BBS)? I actually ended up selling them. I'm a bit adhd when it comes to wheels, so they went to a buddy that refinished them and put them on his wife's e36 convertible.

Dang. I get it though, it's a terrible diesease. Those would've looked really nice on your 242.

Yeah, they would have. Toms_elleck on here had them on his white 242, so that is pretty much exactly what they would have looked like on mine. Running Rigals w/no pie plate center caps for now, but I may be picking up a set of 16" 1-piece Style 5's shortly to hold me over until I spring for the final set of wheels for it.

And then, two days ago, this happened:

43018857150_f2be9b5d08_z.jpg
[/url]IMG_8223 (1) by moguitarman76, on Flickr[/IMG]

Annie arrived last night to her new owner in South Carolina and he's already got her up and running/troubleshooting her. It was a fun ride, but I couldn't ever figure out what exactly I wanted her to be: a carb'd throwback to early '70's euros? A megasquirted daily? A engine-swapped sleeper? In the end, lack of direction coupled with changing priorities killed my motivation for her. But, I know that she's in good hands now, so it will be fun to see what happens next.

Gee, thanks Ken. I've been gone for here since September to 2018, but it's nice to see that you kept your charm after I stopped posting...

Back