• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

It'll buff out? 242

Beats cutting up a 1/4 panel. Nicely done and when finished will look just as good as new.

Cut and welded the '71 164 restoration quarter panel. This looks like a lot more fun.

I think that this car deserves at least the Ford V8 upgrade, maybe the LSx version.

At least a turbo Volvo.

Dude. This is really impressive. Good work, I'm glad you saved that 242. Most people would have crushed it.
I really lucked out, having Larry volunteer to help.
I do love to see cars back on the road.
I'm not there yet, but soon.
Beats cutting up a 1/4 panel. Nicely done and when finished will look just as good as new.
It'll look decent for sure.
Cut and welded the '71 164 restoration quarter panel. This looks like a lot more fun.

I think that this car deserves at least the Ford V8 upgrade, maybe the LSx version.

At least a turbo Volvo.
I do love an upgrade!

Got a little work to do on the trunk/fender gap on that side, or is that just the way the picture makes it look?
Both, latch is off and it's not sitting tight.
But, it is a bit off. Have to split the difference.
Body is just a tad out of square.
Pics later.

Looking good. :nod:
Thanks!

Have to resupply my sanding supplies and buy some primer.
Lots of work left to do!
Anyone need a quarter panel?

NONHOG, have you ever done such "final finishing" body work? I'm impressed with your straightening accomplishments.... never watched anyone hammer & torch, but have heard of it from an old timer.

In my youth I did multiple cars..... I grew up in the rust belt and there was plenty of opportunity :-)

Regarding getting those long dimensions and arcs "straight" as we used to say, it is truly a manner of feel. I've no desire to do such work again, but the best measuring stick was to run a sensitive hand (dusted up with sanding bondo dust) and then feel the panel with your eyes closed. I can't describe it any other way..... when it is straight and all those arcs are restored to OEM, you can feel it. You run that dusted hand in X, and Y directions, then diagonally.

If you have this experience, then you know what I mean. Good luck!

A 24 inch block and some "guide coat" paint should suffice to get that panel straight and flat.

NONHOG, have you ever done such "final finishing" body work? Good luck!

?Larry came over today...? - I think this might be nonhog?s ?old timer?...

A 24 inch block and some "guide coat" paint should suffice to get that panel straight and flat.

I have done a small amount of finishing before.
It's been years.
This will be the largest I have done.
I'm excited to see how it goes.

Installed my replacement brake booster today.
Went well until I took a break to feed the dog.
Noticed the brake light came on, I suppose a adjustment would fix it.
Unfortunately the dog was super lethargic and ate the slowest I have ever seen.
Turns out he has a inflamed glad in his neck.
Instead of trying to adjust we went to the vet.
Hope the antibiotics work.

Best wishes for a quick recovery for the pooch!

Thanks, he seems better. Watching closely.
I tightened the brake master to the booster, hoping the pressure would position the pedal in such a way to make the switch work properly.
No such luck. I will probably pull the drivers seat so it's easier for me to have a look/see.
Unless I have one of the boys over before I get to it.
Is it possible that the booster rod differs from year to year?
I'll figure it out. :nod:

Attachments

• IMG_20181223_220937976.jpg
    IMG_20181223_220937976.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 495
Have not had the pleasure of having to change out either on mine.....usually the rods have some sort of threaded length adjustment so that a replacement needs to be set to the same length as the one that came out.

Boring update,
Picked up new commando bumpers from John 242
Nice to visit with him briefly.(sick dog in the car)
One has a ding in it. I think some heat and my press
It'll come around.

Attachments

• IMG_20181229_173929483.jpg
    IMG_20181229_173929483.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 440
  • IMG_20181230_125938917.jpg
    IMG_20181230_125938917.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 438
  • IMG_20181230_125926579.jpg
    IMG_20181230_125926579.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 440
Last edited:
Hmmm, didn't see that. When I get another front bumper for my 242 that's in better shape, I'll give you that one. It'll just need the trim swapped over to it from the one you got from me.

Hmmm, didn't see that. When I get another front bumper for my 242 that's in better shape, I'll give you that one. It'll just need the trim swapped over to it from the one you got from me.

Thanks but I think I can make it work.
All good!

Hope the dog is feeling better. Happy New Year!

Thanks Nels, back at Cha!
Dog is struggling, barfed in the car on the way home Saturday and hasn't really gotten better since. Thought it was okay to drive him in the fat Camry (Avalon) instead of the adventure van.
I was wrong.
May have another vet e room visit if tomorrow doesn't get better.
Since I have been dog sitting (and clean up)
Nothing much has happened.
I did pull the drivers seat to see if I can get a look at the brake light switch. No dice.
I don't see any adjustments on the rod.
Mirror time?

Happy New year t-brickers!

Attachments

• IMG_20181025_122118614_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181025_122118614_HDR.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 397
Back