• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Engine stand

dbh86

What's a 16V?
I miss driving my volvo, but I'm still in the long process of fitting the stupid 16v head, so I modified the engine stand so that I can run a motor on it. The motor on there right now is just a test run before I swap out motors between the car and the stand. I should be able to put together a good MSnS system with it out of the car, but we'll see.

Pictures:
//edit: see attachment now

The engine is secured by the engine stand in the back as usual, but the motor also is supported by 740 motor mounts attached to the frame with bolts and rubber bushings.

Maybe I'll sandblast and paint it eventually.

Attachments

• IMG_0280m.jpg
    IMG_0280m.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 442
Last edited:
Well I can't screw up the floor, so I'll have to figure something else out. I still have some extra pieces of steel so I could just make some outriggers with wood stuck underneath.

I tried to flip it over last night and was having a lot of trouble; I couldn't even get 1 wheel to lift off of the ground.

When that heavy flywheel spins up, there is a considerable amount of opposing torque on the block. You might be OK as long as you don't blip the throttle too aggressively.

There's no flywheel on it, only the flexplate for the torque converter. And I don't plan on touchign the throttle, this is only supposed to get the car idling.

So, for all you unbelievers, I was cranking it over today with the starter and it doesn't even move. Hopefully the motor will be running soon, then I'll post up a video.

Looks good to me.

We once fired up a Chev small block on an engine stand. We wanted to find out how much oil flew off the crank, so we left to oil pan off. We brazed a fitting on the oil pump and ran a 3/4" hose to a 5 gallon bucket of oil.

When the engine was fired up, it was just like a high volume lawn sprinkler. Everything within 15 feet got drenched in oil.

No problem with tipping, but 4 bangers like the Volvo red block are real shakers at different RPM ranges, so good luck.

ElPiloto said:
We once fired up a Chev small block on an engine stand. We wanted to find out how much oil flew off the crank, so we left to oil pan off. We brazed a fitting on the oil pump and ran a 3/4" hose to a 5 gallon bucket of oil.

When the engine was fired up, it was just like a high volume lawn sprinkler. Everything within 15 feet got drenched in oil.

Would like to see some pics /video of this.

Finally got the motor running on the engine stand. It's way too loud without a snail on the side. It turns out I had bad MSnS-E code. I'll get a video up as soon as I find a camera.

Oh, and the engine stand is still rock solid.

ElPiloto said:
Looks good to me.

No problem with tipping, but 4 bangers like the Volvo red block are real shakers at different RPM ranges, so good luck.
that wasnt a terribly good idea:rofl:

Back