• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Wide Steelies on a 245

go240go

I keep seeing these 245's with awesome steelies that are huge and wide. Are these factory wheels from some Euro car not available in the States, or were they widened to create that aesthetic effect? Here are some examples.

133354-1229447.jpg

93920-1322750.jpg

Well, one is a 244, but you get the picture. To me, this completes the look of the bulky 240. Other than Compomotives, SuperDTMs and Polarii, I don't find many other wheels so complimentary.

Are these attainable in the States in any way, namely in CA? Anybody have any personal experience with them?

On the 244 is peugeot 17" steelies, widened and also probably flipped.
On the 245 is volvo 16" flipped steelies from S60/V70N.

wow, so weird, I was just coming on here to ask the same thing. I can't stop thinking about big wide steelies on my car. The ones in the pics look like the factory Volvo ones on my car, judging only on the number of holes around the perimeter...but they are definitely larger diameter and wider.

I wonder, do people go to shops to get them widened? What about the diameter, are there certain steelies out there that come that big for Volvo 5x108 patterns?

Pics on flipping 16" volvo steelies:
cut out the welds (4 on each rim)
2wlrgk5.jpg

Hammer the hell ot of it

r7nct0.jpg

Here you can see that it moves slowly, it can be quite hart to get them out
28cdnva.jpg

Like this
macac7.jpg

Grind away all the sh*t
awqc5.jpg

Puttin' it back the other way. Note the valve!
15wx751.jpg

Something like that
2mdhr46.jpg

Lot's of measuring to get it straight
wvv7dw.jpg

Welded back.
2wncpd5.jpg

I'm busy adapting the Peugeot wheels. 17x7 ET48 (also available with ET43 I think)
I can fins someone to do it for me, but seeing the pictures it's almost possible to do it yourself(?)
Over here they are fitted to the 607, not sure though.

I'm going to ''flip'' the centers and paint them silver..

If you want 18' steelies, you van buy the spare wheel from the XC90, but you do have to widen it a lot, since it's a special spare thing...

aren't they widened Peugot Spares or something like that?

I still don't see why not go with Diamond racing wheels.

Diamond Racing? I don't know, they just don't do it for me. That's leaning towards the NASCAR look.

pro.jpg

Seems like a lot of work to get some steelies to look good. Widen AND flip? Further, how reliable is a wheel after the flip is performed? BTW, those 16's on the 245 look huge for 16's.

Oh, and the valve being on the inner side must be a fun feature. I think I could live with that.

You must flip it, otherwise it won't fit because the offset is for the fwd car. The wheel is reliable if you know how to weld. I myself have 16" steelies that is flipped and widened to 9". And the valve isn't hard to move if you want.

Hi Offset,
Do you know if any Swedish company makes them or converts them for resale?
Trying to find out how much a set of 17" or 18" flipped steelies would cost.
Thanks!

Very cool to see pics of this being done.

Was looking at diamond racing wheels too, still might do that also. could look cool, who knows.

Very cool to see pics of this being done.

Was looking at diamond racing wheels too, still might do that also. could look cool, who knows.

There are other stock car wheel companies too, which have better shaped holes in their wheels. I saw some that were chrome with the centers painted black, and they looked sick. Just some big ass chrome lips.

Yea, very true.

I like some of diamond racings stuff, seen a pair of 17x8 I think that a VA dude had made for his VW, the trucker ones with the D holes, not circles. Looks pretty decent.

And I feel like the "nascar" effect is lessened when you are running 205/50 series tires, not 65's. lol.

Thanks for all the info everyone. Offset's pictures are awesome, I've never seen it done before. I'll probably inquire at Stockton wheel and see what it would cost for something like this. Now, I just need to find donor wheels, hopefully in 17 or 18" sizes.

What happens to the offset when the center is flipped?

This wheel flipping thing looks very cool, and quite tedious, I am impressed. Thanks for the pictures.

If you want 18' steelies, you van buy the spare wheel from the XC90, but you do have to widen it a lot, since it's a special spare thing...

Wow, are XC90 spares really 18"? Does anyone know how wide they are stock?

I think I've also got the large steelie bug...

Back