• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1989 780 Turbo Idle/Misfire?

Joe_Diesel

I've got a 1989 780 Bertone Turbo and in the past month I've done new plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, fuel filter, fuel pump, belts, and I'm sure I'm missing some stuff. Anyway, I noticed whoever put the last cap and rotor on must have broke the plastic clip and pinched the wiring of the hall effect sensor behind the distributor cap and rotor. When I had a mirror back there just making sure all looked good and clean before i popped it back on I spotted one of the wires looked a little exposed from being pinched, I was short on time so I just hit it with liquid electrical let it dry and put it all back together. My tach works so I think the sensors still good. Any ideas why my car would have a hiccup every few seconds-ish at idle and sometimes when hard on the throttle or cold it misfires? This is where OBDII would come in handy...

Its getting worse, the other night i went to give it heavy throttle off the line and it died. And then yesterday it was acting up even more weird, i was driving and if i gave it too much it almost did this hold at 2000rpm of like a step two/rev limiter type thing but then it misfired on and off anywhere in the rpm range until the rpm's dropped to idle and when i gave it throttle it did nothing, it just ran for about another 5 seconds until it died

Supplies power to the fuel injectors, there are 2 relays behind the driver's side headlight. Mine had green corrosion on the relay base and the relay pins. You can swap the relays as well to see if the rsr is bad, I think the other one is for the electric cooling fan in front of the radiator. Most likely this is your problem, I was driving mine on the highway when it went goofy and wouldn't rev up, no power, stopped and pulled the relay out and stuck it back in a few times, got me going again. I've since converted to more a common ice cube type relay.

Ill go check that out and keep you posted, its so weird. This morning it barely wanted to run, any throttle created a heavy misfire and then i parked, ate lunch, went out and it ran fine. It still doesn't like heavy throttle though

Supplies power to the fuel injectors, there are 2 relays behind the driver's side headlight. Mine had green corrosion on the relay base and the relay pins. You can swap the relays as well to see if the rsr is bad, I think the other one is for the electric cooling fan in front of the radiator. Most likely this is your problem, I was driving mine on the highway when it went goofy and wouldn't rev up, no power, stopped and pulled the relay out and stuck it back in a few times, got me going again. I've since converted to more a common ice cube type relay.

Are these any Volvo specific relays too, i know sometimes european cars don't take well to aftermarket electric components.

So I took the relays out, no corrosion that I saw, they looked pretty clean and I just blew them out and reinstalled them, I did not switch them around but it has been running much better, it only had one hiccup. Ill take it out later once it has sat for a bit and gets cold again. Hopefully its all set and costs me $0 because Ive never had that again, which would be nice.

*** UPDATE ***

RSR did not fix the problem, but I did not replace it, just cleaned it. Suggestions? I wanna say it may be related to the wiring for the injectors or RSR or something else (wiring in general). The longer it runs, warmer and dryer it gets, the more you've been driving it around it seems to run better. The worst is definitely first morning cold starts. I'm going to try to get it into the shop today and smoke test it, as well as check wiring.

Back