• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

turbo choice on f+t 8 valve

Marvelous3

Who engineered this?
I was planning on keeping this build mostly stock but that it quickly going out the window. The original plan was to use a reclocked 15g but I think I want more. So, the goals at this point are looking towards 250-270 wheel horsepower. I have a big valve kit coming and an enem v16 on the way too. I'm thinking ill need to run 16-18psi to get to those power numbers. I dont really want to drop $1500 on a turbo so I've been looking at t3/t4 50 trim turbos. What do you all suggest or what are you using to make the numbers you are? Or should I just sack up and go gt3076r or something else equally fancy?

Big valves and a V16 T cam. That'll help a lot. If response isn't critical then the regular bearing T3/T4 jobs are very affordable. Wouldn't the popular 19T mitsubishi support this power? I'm sure something like what an 850R or S60 T5 uses would work well with the budget. Then there is the K24 from the S60R cars. That's a stock 300hp turbo so should work well for you.

Using a ported 90+ exhaust manifold?

Big valves and a V16 T cam. That'll help a lot. If response isn't critical then the regular bearing T3/T4 jobs are very affordable. Wouldn't the popular 19T mitsubishi support this power? I'm sure something like what an 850R or S60 T5 uses would work well with the budget. Then there is the K24 from the S60R cars. That's a stock 300hp turbo so should work well for you.

Using a ported 90+ exhaust manifold?

Yes, I've got a 90+ that I need to have milled flat. I actually have two of them.

You could run an EFR but those are beaucoup bucks. I think the ATP Wastegate only fit the 2871's (which would get you there and be responsive, but I'm assuming price is a factor here).

something something scope creep :-P

You could run an EFR but those are beaucoup bucks. I think the ATP Wastegate only fit the 2871's (which would get you there and be responsive, but I'm assuming price is a factor here).

something something scope creep :-P

This whole thing is scope creep like whoa. I cant help myself. I keep doing the, well if I'm going to do this I might as well do it big/right. I'm sure a ball bearing gtx turbo is a fantastic turbo but 1800 for a turbo and then another 200 or so for the external gate is too much for me to swing my purse at.

Evo 16G and make a nice twinscroll header for it.

Remember response, power and $$ is always a tradeoff.

\

Evo 16G and make a nice twinscroll header for it.

Remember response, power and $$ is always a tradeoff.

\

+1. Get a new eBay 16g, fabricate a j pipe manifold. Probably do it all for $500-600. I don't know why more people don't go this route.

16G's are a good option too, I even have one or three genuine units I can sell him. Haha.
Those Borg SX-E units are sweet; For that specific one I was hoping to have some real world numbers of what they do on these engines, but so far I've only completed the BMW thing I've been missing with. Life getting in the way and all that.

I know one could also go the route of welding the EWG flange onto the turbine housing, but then the multi-page argument of theoretical flow impact and turbulence starts, and once we go down that road it usually ends in a lock with no answer. The most recent iteration was pretty civil, though.

All of this is probably overkill for +/- 300 WHP though.

Fake ninja - You could indeed J Pipe it. Kinda heavy so will need to be braced.

Fake edit 2 -
Tate is still selling his EFR 7064 I believe. https://forums.tbforums.com/showthread.php?t=344053
Do note that if you buy any EFR new they do not come with turbine housings... so what he is asking is pretty fair, in my own dumb opinion.

Last edited:
your choices are fairly vast then within that range. on the budget side, you could get a 50 trim with a stage 3 or 5 wheel, that'd be on the larger side of what you need (and really probably a much better choice for the red wagon), t3 super-60's are in that range hp wise, for the more spendy of course there are various GT type turbos. The 3076 on the blue car is really pretty nice. boost control would be better with an external gate, however, they do offer a cosworth style housing option for that turbo that probably does fairly well too, and would allow you to keep el interno gateo

I can ask greg, but his recommendations tend to favor the better flowing honda applications and not as much the square hole volvo applications lol. If you need a price on a particular turbo, hit me up and I'll see what I can do.

Tate is still selling his EFR 7064 I believe. https://forums.tbforums.com/showthread.php?t=344053
Do note that if you buy any EFR new they do not come with turbine housings... so what he is asking is pretty fair, in my own dumb opinion.

I sold it last week. Thanks for the plug though.

OP, are you going to want more power in the future, or are you sure you only want 250-270? Also, how fixed are you on the 3k lower limit of your powerband?

Back