• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

(formerly) The $700 1988 245

AINT NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT

VzZqIK5h.jpg

'63 Galaxie 500, new second car. I'll continue this thread when I start the turbo-into-diesel transplant.

So apparently State Parm thinks that my car is owned by a guy named Carl. They asked for the bill of sale to prove otherwise.

I lost it..

How the hell is vehicle ownership determined then? Just a bill of sale? What's stopping anybody from falsifying a document that cannot be verified by any means?

How the hell is vehicle ownership determined then? Just a bill of sale? What's stopping anybody from falsifying a document that cannot be verified by any means?

Lol I dunno.

Anyway, I got an estimated value of the car. 2 grand. Told em to frig off and sent them the receipts for everything I've bought for the car.

In other car news, my rental Elantra hit 8008 miles the other day.

Hire an independent appraiser and watch the dough pile in. Got 5 grand out of a polished turd 940 5 years ago.

That blows.

Re: the overdrive, you'll need at least the rear housing, the speedometer drive worm gear that goes on the output shaft, the speedo gear with its housing, and the retaining screw for it. Use a Cofle branded speedometer cable (Volvo p/n 1215546). The good news is that an autotragic Diesel uses the same gear ratio as a 1983-85 M46 non-turbo 240, so, you could also just get an OD unit from an '85 and swap it over.

I can't believe uhaul just gives trucks and trailers to totally inexperienced teenagers. Best company ever.

VpMUlNXh.jpg

Car's home. I'll start playing with it tomorrow. I swear, if the forklift mangled my exhaust or sway bar...

So it cranks fine (Surprised me because the battery has a hole in it) but there's no power to the coil. Fuses and wiring all look fine. How can I tell if the EZK box is fried? It had water leaking onto it.

The driver's motor mount didn't shear, the lower bracket actually broke in half. Radiator and condenser are FUBAR but the intercooler actually might be fine.

The battery had a big crack along the bottom of it so most of its acid was gone. And it cranked like it was fully charged.

Looks like my no ignition is due to the powerstage wires being crushed by the battery/bracket.

xnWlmmVh.jpg

Breaks my heart to see this car, which is by far one of the most real-life TB builds on here, die in such a way.
Still one of my favorite cars here.

I've got proof of roughly $3500 worth of parts/services for this car. I spent more than I thought..

Receipts isn't how you win this battle.

Breaks my heart to see this car, which is by far one of the most real-life TB builds on here, die in such a way.
Still one of my favorite cars here.

Why does it have to die, people like me who you loath so much fix cars like this in our sleep.....

Why does it have to die, people like me who you loathe so much fix cars like this in our sleep.....
ftfy- how long have you been saving that dig for, anyway?

If you have a problem with me, bring it up in the private messages or text me. You have my number (dig real deep in your phone for a guy named James Keller). I don't loathe anybody who fixes their wrecked car- hell, I'm thinking about doing it myself. I do, however, loathe those who tell half-truths or blatant lies about the cars they're selling and waste people's time with deals they had no intention of following through on.

To answer your "why", however, we all know darn well that that 245 is beyond fixing reasonably. Its already rusty, and I'd bet good money the frame rails are tweaked. For the money that would have to be spent straightening and painting, you could find a solid shell to swap parts into.

Also, since you fix them in your sleep, why isn't your silver 245 fixed yet?

Back