• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Blue 242, the SlowRide

SlowRide

Cold War Crumple Zones
IMG_0372.jpg

Glacial, this is the pace. I've been waiting a long time to find a 242.

Originally, I was searching for a b230ft to refresh until I found a rolling 242, or a rolling 242 to refresh until I could put together a motor.

Previously, had a '89 244, but school, Subarus, and responsibilities got in the way and so it goes.

Grillin-1.jpg

31929330036_large.jpg

Until a 1980 242 popped up on craigslist in the middle of nowhere North-Central Florida.

IMG_0229_1.jpg

IMG_0230_1.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

The previous owner was previously a volvo machanic in Jacksonville, then worked in a scrap yard that received many Volvos. He swapped in a b230f from a '93 wagon. Originally it was a manual car, but he swapped in an AW71 for commuting between BFE and Jax. It showed up in the Craigslist Orphan thread, and I had to have it.

IMG_0256_1.jpg

IMG_0257_1.jpg

IMG_0260_1.jpg

Had it flatbedded out of its sugar sand paradise to civilization. Came with a trunk full of parts to add to the 10 year old horde that I pulled out of storage. Some 530 heads, LH 2.4 sensors, computers, etc enough for about 2 or 3 different cars. Spare single round headlight bezels and grille (with tabs intact!). Some window seals, manual widow regs, brake calipers... The trunk was packed, I wish I took a picture.

IMG_3204.jpg

IMG_0384.jpg

-B&G springs.
-IPd sways fore and aft.
-15" aftermarket alloys, with JDM markings?? Center caps have CCD on them. No idea.
-86+ tail light swap with fat waist trim.
-Saab-looking side markers/repeaters and fog lights.
-Turbo oil coiler with sammich plate.
-850 electric fan.
-Oil pressure and volt meter gauges.
-Wiring for VDO ambient temp gauge.

Allegedly working AC from the 92 wagon that the engine came from... this may stay or go, we'll see.

IMG_0286.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

Blue and black Bertone/diamond plate styling.
And beneath the steel plate? Full commitment, he cut the cards. Joy...

IMG_0301_1.jpg

Last edited:
Slow Progress: Cleaning, Restoration, Stage Zero

While I hoard the bits for an LH2.4 +T and return to 5-speed, major cleaning and restoration of the interior abd exterior are priority.

Also, collecting medium brown interior pieces to swap out the mismatched blue and black Bertone leather that's there. Yes medium brown, and yes I would change my mind if nice black door cards came my way.

IMG_3846.jpg

Deep cleaning the engine bay will be put off until I pull the motor for the inevitable +T.

Restored the front fascia to its chromed glory

IMG_3319.jpg

IMG_3786_1.jpg

Badge action

IMG_3798.jpg

IMG_3810.jpg

IMG_3900.jpg

Last edited:
You're gonna have to change the title of your thread soon :)

Yeah, we'll see. Still waiting for a late squirter block, but the yards around me get nothing in. This was the first non fwd/awd car this yard has seen in a while. So these bits might go into a storage bin

Sooo... It's been a real struggle keeping this old girl running. First fuel pump was probably fine, so was the second... Only noticed the chewed up wire harness after I bought a brand spanking new bosch pump to install. Got a fuel pump pigtail free with an LH 2.4 harness I bought off another member, hooked her all back up and...

The water pump is howling. Lovely.

And somehow the kickdown cable is so far out of adjustment.

That said, the air conditioning works! :cool:

92 system that came from the car that donated the engine. Returned to the carcass of that 760 and pulled the pusher fan and harness, handful of 5 pin relays, and ordered an airdam insert from Phil! Can't wait to show the girls (huskies) the working AC :lol:

That said, the air conditioning works! :cool:

92 system that came from the car that donated the engine. Returned to the carcass of that 760 and pulled the pusher fan and harness, handful of 5 pin relays, and ordered an airdam insert from Phil! Can't wait to show the girls (huskies) the working AC :lol:

Ugh... I want A/C so hard, It's next on my list after smog things :bleh:

Ugh... I want A/C so hard, It's next on my list after smog things :bleh:

I'm still on the fence about keeping it. I'm not daily driving this, never plan to, and the engine bay looks so much cleaner without it. One less thing to have to hook back up and trouble shoot if I pull this motor.

That said, got my air ramp from Phil, just to realize I don't have an original airdam :oops:

So... Lookin for an airdam!

Since you stopped in, guess who's gonna be fixin' the pinion angle and correcting his rear wheel position with a recently acquired set of adjustable torque rods??? :cheers:

IMG_4169.jpg

Last edited:
Since you stopped in, guess who's gonna be fixin' the pinion angle and correcting his rear wheel position with a recently acquired set of adjustable torque rods??? :cheers:

I'm glad to know they're going to a good home, I will caution though, using them to change wheel position for the sake of wheel position is the wrong application for these. In my experience, a little goes a long ways, and you are better off using them to set pinion angle as opposed to anything else.

Because of my swap, and the parts I used, I was running them full out to get pinion angle manageable, which made the rear axle even less centered.

Just my :twocents:

I'm glad to know they're going to a good home, I will caution though, using them to change wheel position for the sake of wheel position is the wrong application for these. In my experience, a little goes a long ways, and you are better off using them to set pinion angle as opposed to anything else.

Because of my swap, and the parts I used, I was running them full out to get pinion angle manageable, which made the rear axle even less centered.

Just my :twocents:

Noted. I'm doing it to correct the angle, and I figure correcting that will move those wheels up a bit. Getting some kind of vibration from the drive shaft and the u-joints aren't sloppy. Motor mounts seem fine, so does the trans mount. Not sure what springs are on here, either.

I've never considered this car to be really all that low, but the drive shaft halves could definitely be more aligned with their respective ends.

Need to get the pan hard bar too, just waiting for one to float back up in forsale. Trailing arm bushings are on the list, but I'm gonna find a shop for that.

Back