• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240: 91/92 vs 93 AC Components

15A

World's Oldest Brewery
Anyone happen to have the PNs of which lines are different from 92 to 93? ALL of the online vendors (Volvo included) list the high pressure, low pressure hoses and accumulators as "91-93". I know this is NOT the case. Bored idiots at desks changed the thread pitch on a couple of these as well as length at the condenser. Only random parts houses list the accumulators as "1993 model".

Finding NOS isn't happening, but having the correct OE PN's would at least help in finding aftermarket retrofits.

TIA

A thread from about 1 year ago listed the 91-92 PNs vs. the 93 PNs for the 240. I believe all the data was linked by Conner850..... and I might have chimed into that thread as well.

Thanks fellas - will search out the listing.

Retrofitting a 93 setup into an 88 and just want to make sure what I find/get is actually for the elusive 93 system. Pretty sure I have most-all of it, but by the time the car is back from paint, there will be no time to hunt for any of it if I dont. Idiots changed the thread PITCH on the 93's, so very easy to discover you have the wrong one on those cheap soft aluminum threads after its too late.

Perfect - thanks.

I've done probably 15+ of these conversions in 240's, but since so much has been discontinued, the aftermarket pimps dont seem to realize there is a difference between 91/92 and 93. Cannot count how many times I send stuff back that isn't the same and an argument from them that it is. Its just as bad with the compressors - one has straight ports, the other, a "V" - but I have gotten new Sandens with a 93 PN on the box but with the straight ports of a 91/92.

I wind up asking them for the PN of both styles just to see if there's a difference. If not, they're idiots. If so, it was random luck because they're still idiots.

:-P

One more thang on compressors:

the 89-92 have parallel ports coming from the compressor for suction and high side hoses.

the 93 2 series compressor has "rabbit ears" for female threaded ports to attach the hoses.

AND FWIW, what I thought was a 1 year only 240 compressor 93 model..... is exactly the same as the 93-95 940 compressor.

AND FWIW, what I thought was a 1 year only 240 compressor 93 model..... is exactly the same as the 93-95 940 compressor.

Same compressor, but the pulley is a smaller diameter on some 240's than supplied on 940's.

Lets start with the Accumulator.

Up to 1992 #1388667,1993 #3540604

Hoses

Up to 1992, compressor to accumulator #3540604, compressor to condenser #3522879.

Compressor to accumulator, 1992 #3540604. Compressor to accumulator 1993 4DR CH #486936, 5DR CH #956203, part #3540656, 4DR CH #456937, 5DR CH #956204 part #9432505. 1993 compressor to condenser part #3540655.

Hope this makes since,

RonJ

Same compressor, but the pulley is a smaller diameter on some 240's than supplied on 940's.

FCP Euro begs to differ....... or was it eEuroparts?

My son pulled a 93 240 compressor with 71k miles on it........ perhaps for sale soon.

That said, Wren could be right. I've got a 94 940 compressor on hand and his 93 240 compressor; I'll compare the drive pulleys.

^^ It likely won't be conclusive either way. I've had 20 93 240s and countless 93 and newer 940s, all of which ran the same size pulley on the AC compressor. Volvo does really random design changes, many of which are not well documented. 15A has had some factory installed variations in 940s I have never seen out here on the west coast. With Volvo there are 2 words you should never use, never and always. You WILL end up eating them.

On my 93 wagon I noticed a larger pulley when I changed to a new compressor I got from FCPeuro about ten years ago. The pulley on the new compressor was a bit larger just by eye than the old one. The compressor body was also fatter and larger diameter. I don't recall what brand but I think it was a four seasons branded compressor. Other than a leak here or there the compressor has worked for over ten years. I usually get a 975mm long crank to compressor belt because the 955mm length was too short.

I'll post up some photos of the different sized compressor pulleys on the same compressor with one being from a '93 240 and the other from a '93 940. I've seen this three times now.

sorry to threadjack, but it seems like the op got the info they needed and I am having a slightly different issue, and this thread has collected people who know about the things that i am having issues with

my '92 240 had this R12 fitting on it, which i could not find any info on or way to connect it to currently available AC manifolds...(not my pic, but its of the same stuff)

17213d1501363201-1992-240-ac-high-low-service-port-location-p1070312-1500_zpsdb9d7885.jpg

I trying to do a lazy redtek/duracool conversion and gave up trying to find an adapter and swapped the whole hard pipe/lowside fitting for a '93 version (R134 fitting) and a new '92 spec receiver. This setup holds vacuum but when i fill it takes pressure up to around 40psi and then blows it all out either through the fitting or the connection to the receiver, (its hard to tell and costs me a can of refrigerant each time i try it)

so... the info i need

-do '93 j tubes not work with '92 receiver/driers?

-if i go back to the original Jtube, how to i connect to it? what fitting adapter do i need?

bonus round
-what is the little fitting on the receiver for, I dont think its the high side, but i dont know what its for...

There is a retrofit pipe with the R134 fitting on it for the 91-92's. I'll look for the PN - last I checked they were still available and $50-60 NOS from Volvo. They are a different pitch from the 93's. 93 listed it as stock application.....91-92, it was a retrofit part. Get a new accumulator while you're at it....a whopping < $20, and an 8oz bottle of PAG oil.

This is what I do with all of them - converting an 88 and a 90 at the moment to 92 and 93 systems. IMO Duracool is great if you're stuck with an R12 system. The 91+ setups, you have R134 options that work perfectly.

now that i put the two pieces side by side it is clear that the threads are different on ALL 3 PORTS of the receiver/drier

presumably i can get a pressure switch for a 93.

I think the compressor to receiver hose is available, but does anyone know if the compressor side of that hose is the same on r12 vs r134 system? Or do i need a new compressor as well? where does it END!

the volvo made "retrofit kits" are basically a unicorn at this point.

The so called kits were an overpriced joke - much like anything else in a blue box these days.

All you need that is unique is the fill pipe - accumulators, orifice tubes, o-rings, a bottle of PAG and the fancy decal are the only other details of this $300 "kit". All can be had aftermarket total for < $50. The pipe is still out there....just need the PN to help the millennial counter-clown who doesn't know how to look it up without an app.

now that i put the two pieces side by side it is clear that the threads are different on ALL 3 PORTS of the receiver/drier

presumably i can get a pressure switch for a 93.

I think the compressor to receiver hose is available, but does anyone know if the compressor side of that hose is the same on r12 vs r134 system? Or do i need a new compressor as well? where does it END!

the volvo made "retrofit kits" are basically a unicorn at this point.

The compressor side is the same thread, both R-12 and R-134 systems.

Back