• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My 242, Now What Do I Do?

And the final clear coat is complete!

This is my last post for a couple of weeks as we head to Rome. The paint will be well cured and I'll be anxious to reassemble!

This is how it's done

Thanks! It's a lot of work but cars are my art! I find it relaxing to do this work and gives me time to think. The 242 is an amazing platform and this one was an excellent example to begin with. The biggest issue was the paint and that is almost done (the paint part).

Sanded, taped again, buffing...

Started prepping the rims for paint; disassembled and cleaned the faces and barrels.

)what kind of paint did you use? We're getting a side downdraft in at work and when it's done I want to paint mine too...just exploring paint options right now

I used a two stage (base coat/clear coat) system for the topcoats. For the primer I used a lacquer hi-build with the appropriate sealer for the topcoat. Omni products for the topcoat and sealer; Ditzler hi build (I had it already from a previous job).

The rims came out looking pretty so I tested them on the Saff (also have a set of Tritons that I'm going to refinish for the saff). I'll put them on the 242 and share the results when I do.

Finally finished the wheels; when they mounted the tires they tore up the freshly painted faces. The guy was apologetic but I take some blame for not letting the paint cure enough, so I took them back apart and repainted them. Again. Man there's a lot of these

18 foot pounds and threadlocker blue and the stack is fininshed

I also finished wet sanding tonight but too tired to take pics. Tomorrow I hope to get time to buff and polish and wax. Then the rims can go on!

After sanding with 1000, then 1200, then 2000, buffing, then polishing, touch up, and final wax...

Now I can finally start the reassembly!

Thanks! Yeah I decided not to pull it; time is always an issue! I'm happy with the paint overall.

Here's some progress

Got these out

Mounted these; the camera phone pics don't do it justice. The grey in the rims really pops with the medium blue #2... also a pair of 92 door handles look right at home.

Mounted the struts and added a set of 15A strut plates

The zf rack needs boots so I ordered a set tonight. Got the braces detailed and mounted. Once that's in and the steering connected, I'll put the front wheels on and get it off the jack stands. I took down the paint booth today so that'll open up the garage so I can get the motor/trans in. Opinions on cutting coils to lower the car?

2 to 2.5 coils on front, 1.5-1.75 rear. Remember you will need an adjustable pan hard bar to center axle which you can make(which I will be doing soon as well) or source a used IPD one(making one is your best bet).

2 to 2.5 coils on front, 1.5-1.75 rear. Remember you will need an adjustable pan hard bar to center axle which you can make(which I will be doing soon as well) or source a used IPD one(making one is your best bet).

Awesome! I have a source for the bar (I think!). Appreciate the info.

Back