• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Terrible wheel hop, can't lose it

Maybe you tire **** is rubbing because you have a stock panhard bar and are lowered 8". It sounds like your geometry is all out of whack and your u joints are hammering themselves apart.

Lsd doesn't lock the wheels. That's why it is called a limited slip.

Several threads about (homemade) adjustable panhard bars

Last edited:
Great that you found resolution, and that you posted back to not leave the thread hanging as often happens. Which bushings specifically fixed the issue? Any pics of the hammered ones?

To be honest, old bushings did not look that bad. The ones on the main axle were pretty bad, others seemed fine to me! Replaced all of them together, so can't really tell which ones exactly caused it to hop so badly.

Likely a tolerance stack-up issue. A tired bushing with some play here...a tired bushing with some play there...

If you end up changing out 3 or 4 pairs of bushings, all of that play in the respective bushings will add up...

All new bushings feel so nice....it probably almost drives as good as new...almost.

Sadly have to come back to this thread. Pretty annoying wheel hop has appeared lately. Was driving semi-slicks all around and hop appeared. Swapped them for regular street tyres since old ones wore out and it remained the same.

I wouldn't bother if the hop would appear only when losing traction on straight line, but it breaks and cracks badly when turning sharply with welded diff (when parking, for example). I will check all the bolts and nuts since I haven't done that since poly install. Don't think that shock absorbers could go bad so fast aswell. Will check all of the mounting spots on floor aswell, because that cracking on tight turns makes me cringe and think that my floor has cracked somewhere.

Will update this soon

Eh, okay, one more time.

Yes, I admit that first thing I need is adjustable panhard. Think I mentioned before that that's what I'm going to do next.
I guess the questions where stupid enough to get stupid answers.

I'll update this when the wheel hop will be gone, just in case someone here drives welded diff and custom springs, because can't afford Kalphenke coilovers for 1,4$ and aftermarket LSD for 500$.

if there is any play in the panhard you will have hop, if your diff is not center you will have hop, if you're diff is welded you will have hop. if you have a stock panhard being that low your diff is probably like 2 inches to the side, also it no longer points perfectly, straight this will mess up driveshaft angle, and cause hop.

had same thing on my 745, IPD panhard, fixed. but it will always be there around tight corners.

Panhard is adjustable and diff is centered. I know how welded differential reacts and this is way too much since I have experience with it in different ****ty missiles, even with stock bushings on different kinds of suspension setups. Have to admit, that not that experienced with Volvo's dead axles.

I will take it to proper alignment place at my friends and check if there are any subframe (or call it floor in this case, whatever you like) cracks, because those cracking hopping sounds are pretty evil if you ask me.

There are not many decent LSD options on budget if you ask me. What was it, Quaife who supports this? Anyone else? Something about 600eur I suppose, right? Might consider it to next season though ..

Did a little inspection today:

• Did not find any cracks in metal all around the axle
  • Seems like there is a little play in one of panhard bars heim joints
  • No bolt or nut is loose on the axle
  • There is a little in-out play in both axle bearings, but it has been there for ages, so I still don't want to put the blame on those

Guess I'll start with new heim joints in panhard bar :?

'91 944, dead 1041 axle, B200FT turbo-back 70mm pipe, 16t turbo, 0,8bar boost, welded diff I would say that car is lowered about 120mm by original height, so rear axle is offset really badly.

I've done many cars with welded diffs, custom spring, shock absorber setups and it hasn't been so terrible like this. Allthough none of those cars had dead axle.

I honestly forgot about this kind of movement when lowering dead axle. Will look into it, thank you.

Have to admit, that not that experienced with Volvo's dead axles.

I've never seen anyone call this sort of assembly a dead axle. Instead, it's routinely called a live axle. Cultural thing? Sarcasm?

But when turning slowly with welded diff you can feel that the rear axle is hopping already, kind of hard to describe this in english, maybe I will take a video of it.

A video would be great.

Last edited:
Hmm, thanks for correcting. After a bit of googling around, you sound right and I've been wrong the whole time. Probably because I live in freaking post soviet country and a lot of people can't understand **** in english :oogle:

Back