• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Mechanic/Shop for tuning in Northeast region

Fred Gwynne

If anyone can recommend to me a shop that has a thing for tuning/modifying old Volvos in the Northeast then please let me know. I'd like to find a shop that will switch camshafts, adjust valves and handle having the head skimmed to raise the CR for performance reasons. Thanks very much.

My gut says that the local mechanics around here will look at me like I've got two heads. :lol:

I had my Evo tuned by Emory at STM in Rochester. He's a good dude. No idea if he knows a damn thing about Volvos but he's plenty competent.

STM Street Tuned Motorsports.

They will laugh at you if you ask at stm. They are friends of mine and have no interest if not mitsu nissan or subaru or 600+ hp. They do excellent work but are very specialized and very busy

Now that Rochester is mentioned. I seem to remember Dan Thiel had a shop there. He was racing a nice 142 in SCCA and raced it in our vintage group when we ran at the Glen. You could probably ask on the regional scca message board in your area.

Now that Rochester is mentioned. I seem to remember Dan Thiel had a shop there. He was racing a nice 142 in SCCA and raced it in our vintage group when we ran at the Glen. You could probably ask on the regional scca message board in your area.

Pmed his shop to op.

He was however reluctant to work on my 1800 because of kjet

Looks like OP's question was solved but I'll throw in a shameless plug for my own shop for anyone in the New England area. My shop has become quite familiar with old Volvos (mainly redblocks) thanks to yours truly. We're not strictly a speed shop but we've built plenty of cars for people before and as long as you got the cash we'll build just about anything. Located in Hooksett NH.

Looks like OP's question was solved but I'll throw in a shameless plug for my own shop for anyone in the New England area. My shop has become quite familiar with old Volvos (mainly redblocks) thanks to yours truly. We're not strictly a speed shop but we've built plenty of cars for people before and as long as you got the cash we'll build just about anything. Located in Hooksett NH.

Thanks for letting me know about your shop.

Hmmmm good to know. I?m in Brattleboro VT, and have had a hard time finding a good volvo mechanic in the area. I drive a 95 960, and the rear suspension seems to intimidate the mechanics I?ve used in the past. If I?m paying someone to work on my car, it would be nice to know that they know what they are doing. I?m currently saving to buy a set of kaphlenke coilovers, ($$$$$) and when those arrive I?m going to need some help installing them.

If you are in Brattleboro and need a hand with anything I'm over in Guilford. No shop but if ya have a place to work I can give you a hand.

Indie Auto

There is a great Voivo independent shop in Hatfield,Ma. just off Rte. 91. Under an hour from Brattleboro. Called Indie Auto, 413-247-6349

Back