• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

A/C High Pressure Pipe options?

tt460

Reworking the A/C in my '87 745T. I've replaced everything I was readily able to find replacement parts for, but was unable to find a high pressure pipe from condenser to the evaporator. This is the hard-line with female O-Ring ports on each end. Of course after vacuuming down and putting a charge on the system, I found a leak on that hard line.

I ordered one from Swedishautoparts.com, but later got an email saying it's back ordered 4-6 weeks. I can't find one anywhere else that looks like the one in the car, used or new. Thinking through my options I'm considering buying some Aeroquip A/C hose and fittings, but I'm not sure what size those fittings are.

Does anyone know the dimensions of these fittings and what they are called? Are they just Female O-ring fittings? What size are they? I just need to make the assembly from the condenser to the evaporator, so just those two fitting sizes.

Unless your earlier 7 series has a TXV for dropping the pressure of the HIGH pressure liquid, you have an orifice tube in that line.

Confirm what you've got; PM to Swedish Iron and 2ManyTurbos..... they will have what you need. You don't want a hose there with the high pressures of the liquid.

They do not make a line with a high pressure fitting, find a local a/c shop and have them make one.

I am going to be going that route soon on my car and have a small batch of lines made with high pressure fittings just so I can see what is going on.

Unless your earlier 7 series has a TXV for dropping the pressure of the HIGH pressure liquid, you have an orifice tube in that line.

Confirm what you've got; PM to Swedish Iron and 2ManyTurbos..... they will have what you need. You don't want a hose there with the high pressures of the liquid.

The orifice is in the inlet tube of the evaporator, it's inserted right where the high pressure pipe screws onto the evaporator. What I have is one solid tube from condenser to evaporator.

I see 2ManyTurbos replied... I think I'm just going to have a new line made up at an A/C shop, I called one yesterday and they said they could fix me up. Getting leery of 30 year old parts!

They do not make a line with a high pressure fitting, find a local a/c shop and have them make one.

I am going to be going that route soon on my car and have a small batch of lines made with high pressure fittings just so I can see what is going on.

I thought I was the only one who thought it was weird that the high pressure port isn't accessible on my car. Four Seasons makes a bunch of end options so it shouldn't be hard. The only difficult part is having the crimp machine to crimp the hose ends. I was thinking of using the Aeroquip fittings with teflon hose. That has pros and cons too.

Making progress here. I found the fittings I need to make a new high side pressure line. They are crimp-on fittings. Should have this resolved this weekend. I also got a fitting that has a high pressure port, so like TLAO said I should be able to measure high-side pressures (after the condenser, which is better than nothing).

open

Finally got this issue fixed and have been driving the car for about 2 weeks. The high pressure line was converted to hose from the hard aluminum line. I thought that maybe heat from turbo might be too much, but it seems to be holding up okay. A passenger today made a comment that the AC was "frigid", so I'd say it's working pretty well.

Also wound up adding a high pressure port so I can see what is going on at the high-side.

Back