• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Fitting IPD adjustable panhard rod

morsing

Hi,

I have got IPD spring on my car and last time I had a wheel alignment done, the rear wheel weren't quite straight.

I've bought an adjustable panhard rod also because the bushings are gone on the orignal. In the instructions it says Volvo's design off-sets the body slightly, but the instructions then say to install it so it's centered... How can that be right? Were the original Volvo set-up not tracking correctly? Will it drive straight if the body is centered?

I've measured the current set-up and the wheels are exactly centered under the body, so assume this gives it the off-straight alignment?

Thanks

Last edited:
After years of hard use/abuse and then putting stiffer springs the stock panhard bar and/or mount can bend to put in a offset, or worse yet bend and scrape a tire on the inner fenderwall.
IIRC the spec is +/- 1/16".

Make sure that you use either Locktite or spot weld the big locking nut when you've got it centered. I found they loosen up pretty quickly, even with using a 2' long wrench pair and torquing as much as humanly possible.

If the rear wheels are not straight it may not be the panhard bar, but torque rod and trailing arm bushings. Check them all out when you're under there.

Make sure that you use either Locktite or spot weld the big locking nut when you've got it centered. I found they loosen up pretty quickly, even with using a 2' long wrench pair and torquing as much as humanly possible.

Yeah, but once it's on the car, what does it matter? The bar's not going to be able to lengthen/shorthen when it's held in place on either end by the car.

Oh yes it will. The slop in the threads is more than a 1/16 when loose and the tail wil sway around as a result.

Search the threads, there are several references to it, right after the IPD bar was put on the market.

Just set it up like iPd says and it will be just fine.
Part of the reason it's offset is the lateral movement of the axle through the travel of the suspension. It keeps it from being too far to one side or the other with a reasonable passenger and cargo load on the soft factory springs.

Thanks for the advice, I will set the new one to the same length as the old on then.

Regards,

If your rear wheels weren't straight when the original bar was on, and you set the IPD one to the same length as the original one that made your wheels not be straight/centered to the body, you're gonna have a bad time.

No, don't use the same length.
Follow the instructions and center the axle under your car with your normal load. If you always have 100lbs in the trunk then center it with 100lbs in the trunk. If you always have a fat chick in the back seat she needs to be in there when you center it.

Hi,

As per my original email, the wheel are exactly centered with the length of the original bar, so setting it identically should do the trick. I will of course measure after fitting.

It's only ever me driving it.

Thanks

If your car is already centered, why change the bar?

The bushings are almost gone. Was easier getting a new bar...

Actually, again as per my original post, my last alignment showed the rear not being straight to the car, even though my measurements show the axle being centered. That's what prompted my question in the first place.

The panhard rod has nothing to do with the rear axle being out of alignment... the panhard bar only centers the axle left to right. If your axle is out of wack its going to be the bushings at the front or the back of the trailing arm, something is bent that shouldn't be or the Torque arm bushings are shot.

Last edited:
The panhard rod has nothing to do with the rear axle being out of alignment... the panhard bar only centers the axle left to right. If your axle is out of wack its going to be the bushings at the front or the back of the trailing arm, something is bent that shouldn't be or the Torque arm bushings are shot.

Bushings are all fairly new...

Back