home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2019, 08:29 PM   #1
nitroboie
Board Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Default Anyone running a KLR cam?

Curious if anyone is running any of the KL Racing turbo camshafts. I noticed the company popping up in threads about people wanting 3" downpipes and/or intercoolers and noticed they also made camshafts. They seem reasonable at about $123 before shipping.

Specs below:
name/duration/lift/LSA
T1...268...11.20mm...114
T2...280...11.30mm...112
T3...280...12.15mm...112
T4...298...11.50mm...108
T5...300...12.90mm...108

https://shop.klracing.se/sv/artiklar...lvo/index.html
__________________
'90 244
'94 945T ipd cam, springs, sways, brace, 16T, TLAO chips, wasted spark, do88 IC
nitroboie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:24 PM   #2
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues
 
dl242gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: S NJ, a suburb of Phila.
Default

I think a few people have used them. I haven't but I just wanted to mention the reason some cam makers have lower prices is that the cam is a regrind on a smaller base circle so you may have to buy a few more things like lash caps to use the cam. Nothing wrong with that but you wouldn't want to forget to buy the lash caps.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 02:48 PM   #3
Sjeng
Board Member
 
Sjeng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Default

KLR T3 looks like a nice turbo cam, looks comparable to a V16.

I will try one in near future.
Sjeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:13 PM   #4
MrKrabs
Board Member
 
MrKrabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: France
Default

These do require lash caps, it's all specified on their website.
I was wondering how do you install these lash caps? Have to take the valves off?
__________________
1997 940 Turbo http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=338913
MrKrabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:47 PM   #5
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III
 
culberro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Default

The lash caps go on the tip of the valve. Remove shim and bucket, plop lash cap on the top of the valve stem, reinstall the bucket and reshim the cam.
__________________
Cult Person. Pissing in your Kool-Aid.
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:32 PM   #6
nitroboie
Board Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Default

So essentially a metal puck where a "husher" would've gone? Can you still run the hushers on top of the caps?
nitroboie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:44 PM   #7
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III
 
culberro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroboie View Post
So essentially a metal puck where a "husher" would've gone? Can you still run the hushers on top of the caps?
Stock hushers will not work.
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 07:39 PM   #8
mck1117
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Default

Not only will hushers not work, if you're thinking of running a cam like a KL, you stopped caring about valvetrain noise years ago.
mck1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 12:08 PM   #9
klr142
Turbo, what?
 
klr142's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: OR
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroboie View Post
Curious if anyone is running any of the KL Racing turbo camshafts. I noticed the company popping up in threads about people wanting 3" downpipes and/or intercoolers and noticed they also made camshafts. They seem reasonable at about $123 before shipping.

Specs below:
name/duration/lift/LSA
T1...268...11.20mm...114
T2...280...11.30mm...112
T3...280...12.15mm...112
T4...298...11.50mm...108
T5...300...12.90mm...108

https://shop.klracing.se/sv/artiklar...lvo/index.html
Also keep in mind that the T1 and T2 aren't going to be much or any "better" than an IPD Turbo cam(better depends on your goals and usage). The T3 is going to be a step up in performance, though, with the normal trade-offs.

There is another thread recently where someone was talking about one of these cams in their car. Scan the recent Performance threads.
klr142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 02:31 PM   #10
mck1117
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Default

I'm that person

I have an S5/T5 in my 240 racecar. 11.5:1 compression, mild port 530 head B230. Mind you when they say race only, they *mean* race only. It doesn't idle below 1200rpm.

The bigger cams (t4/t5) need all kinds of stuff other than just the cam. That means higher compression, maybe a shorter timing belt, adjustable cam gear, lash caps, intake, exhaust, etc. There's also a pretty decent chance that LH would either handle it poorly, or not be able to handle it at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcfO0hk3x4Q
mck1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 03:24 PM   #11
propav8r
F*ck Edgar
 
propav8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Franklin, NC
Default

KLR is only one cylinder, you might have to weld a few together to make it work on a redlbock.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey930
Jb welding tiny pieces of a fuse to the injectors seems to have worked perfectly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quin
i improved my life by just getting rid of my 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2turbotoys View Post
nipple farts
My Project
K-Jet to Megasquirt Article

The Departed: 1981 245, 1981 245, 1983 245 Turbo, 1983 244 Turbo, 1983 242 Turbo, 1984 244, 1985 245 Turbo, 1989 244, 1989 244, 1989 765, 1990 245 Turbo, 1991 244, 1992 245, 1997 855, 2004 V70R
propav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:59 PM   #12
klr142
Turbo, what?
 
klr142's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: OR
Default

Here's the other thread, by the way: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=341072
Quote:
Originally Posted by mck1117 View Post
I'm that person

I have an S5/T5 in my 240 racecar. 11.5:1 compression, mild port 530 head B230. Mind you when they say race only, they *mean* race only. It doesn't idle below 1200rpm.

The bigger cams (t4/t5) need all kinds of stuff other than just the cam. That means higher compression, maybe a shorter timing belt, adjustable cam gear, lash caps, intake, exhaust, etc. There's also a pretty decent chance that LH would either handle it poorly, or not be able to handle it at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcfO0hk3x4Q
How much is shaved off the head and did you do any combustion chamber modifications?

Stock headgasket or MLS?

What are your valve clearances? I'd ask them if they think there will be any issues if you set them looser than their recommended .35mm because it definitely will have better idle and off idle characteristics if you could run closer to .4mm(.016") or even closer to .5mm(.020"). Low rpm torque would increase to some extent, I'm not sure when the cross-over would occur when the benefit outweighs the negative. That being said though, you're building an endurance race car so you probably don't want to be shifting at 7,500rpm the whole time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by propav8r View Post
KLR is only one cylinder, you might have to weld a few together to make it work on a redlbock.
klr142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 04:36 AM   #13
mck1117
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Default

I took off 0.090"=2.25mm. Just a little bit of cleanup, no serious work to the chamber. Stock gasket. All done and told I think it comes out to around 11.5:1.

I think I shimmed it around 16-17 thou. I know I got all cylinders within a thou of each other. I'm already using the smallest shims available, and had to hand lap the lash caps down a few thou each to get it in spec. So if I want to go looser the cam and buckets have to come back out, and I'll have to lap (or maybe mill) more off of the lash caps.
mck1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:31 PM   #14
klr142
Turbo, what?
 
klr142's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: OR
Default

Ah, ok. That or have some taken off the valves. None of which are easy. Or get 1mm thinner lash caps? And we have shims as thin as 3.4mm I think at the shop if you don’t have any that thin. You can also order them for '60s-80's Fiat motors in a wider range of thicknesses than you can for the Volvos.

Last edited by klr142; 10-09-2020 at 06:04 PM..
klr142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:09 PM   #15
Rallybomb
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by klr142 View Post
Also keep in mind that the T1 and T2 aren't going to be much or any "better" than an IPD Turbo cam(better depends on your goals and usage). The T3 is going to be a step up in performance, though, with the normal trade-offs.

There is another thread recently where someone was talking about one of these cams in their car. Scan the recent Performance threads.
Unless any one is opposed, I am going to try a KL racing T1. I want a cam that has high end power like a V-cam but can handle cruising at 2k revs without having to shift down, which needs to be done in the V cam. I think the T1 will do this. The low lift probably means less overlap and quicker turbo spool. The wide LSA means higher rev range. The IPD cam has a massive 32 degree overlap.
The It looks like the IPD turbo and Enem V15 power band flattens a little over 5k. Although I am sure I would like how they work, I have seen a comment where someone has gone from the IPD to the Enem V16 and loves the V16 most. The KLR-T1 has similar specs to the V16 but with lower valve lift which should mean less overlap and better low end torque and turbo spool.

The exciting part of driving with the V cam is the power continues increasing at a steady rate from 3k all the way to the 6k limiter. It is only missing driveability at 2k.

I'm not going for super power 180 to 200HP is all I need to have fun street driving..
Rallybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:39 PM   #16
redblockpowered
Board Member
 
redblockpowered's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Swampscott, MA
Default

My friend's +T'd 244 has a KLR T2 cam and it idles pretty rough, much lumpier than my V15 or the K cam in the race car. Their duration figures are probably measured at the same lift as ENEM does it, although it's hard to say without having measured one myself. Compare their T1 to ENEM V16, then.
__________________
1993 944 B230FT/M90 thread here: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=345277
2x 1991 245 B230F/M47 (LeMons car, street car)
I sell chips for LH 2.4!
redblockpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:02 PM   #17
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues
 
dl242gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: S NJ, a suburb of Phila.
Default

From personal experience. With an enem V15 turbo cam. There is no 'flattening of the power' at high rpms. My engine makes power from just above idle to 7k rpms. It still has more to go but for the sake of the valve springs. I stop at about 7k rpm.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 05:23 AM   #18
Leon_pp
Board Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: France (zip: 51330)
Default

Use a KLR S/T4 with 3mm caps on a N/A B230E (kjet) on my track days Volvo 360.
Just love it, pull hard all day long, try to to go past 7200rpm (stock engine except cam).
Leon_pp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:09 PM   #19
klr142
Turbo, what?
 
klr142's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: OR
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mck1117 View Post
I think I shimmed it around 16-17 thou. I know I got all cylinders within a thou of each other. I'm already using the smallest shims available, and had to hand lap the lash caps down a few thou each to get it in spec. So if I want to go looser the cam and buckets have to come back out, and I'll have to lap (or maybe mill) more off of the lash caps.
Do you remember how thick the lash caps were, out of curiosity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallybomb View Post
Unless any one is opposed, I am going to try a KL racing T1. I want a cam that has high end power like a V-cam but can handle cruising at 2k revs without having to shift down, which needs to be done in the V cam. I think the T1 will do this. The low lift probably means less overlap and quicker turbo spool. The wide LSA means higher rev range. The IPD cam has a massive 32 degree overlap.
The It looks like the IPD turbo and Enem V15 power band flattens a little over 5k. Although I am sure I would like how they work, I have seen a comment where someone has gone from the IPD to the Enem V16 and loves the V16 most. The KLR-T1 has similar specs to the V16 but with lower valve lift which should mean less overlap and better low end torque and turbo spool.

The exciting part of driving with the V cam is the power continues increasing at a steady rate from 3k all the way to the 6k limiter. It is only missing driveability at 2k.

I'm not going for super power 180 to 200HP is all I need to have fun street driving..
Advance your V cam 2-4 degrees and be done with it, especially if you already have it. The IPD Turbo cam is a baby cam, but yes, larger than a V cam. That T1 cam will likely not perform like you think it will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
From personal experience. With an enem V15 turbo cam. There is no 'flattening of the power' at high rpms. My engine makes power from just above idle to 7k rpms. It still has more to go but for the sake of the valve springs. I stop at about 7k rpm.
You have a B21 with a mildly ported 405 head and all of those factors makes the V15T pull to higher rpm than a comparable B23/B230 with a stock 530 head. However, I would still say a V15T will pull to 6k rpm in a 2.3L/530 equipped engine just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon_pp View Post
Use a KLR S/T4 with 3mm caps on a N/A B230E (kjet) on my track days Volvo 360.
Just love it, pull hard all day long, try to to go past 7200rpm (stock engine except cam).
Sounds fun! B23E, maybe? 405 head and smaller dished or flat topped pistons in that engine, too.
klr142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:36 PM   #20
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues
 
dl242gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: S NJ, a suburb of Phila.
Default

Thanks Kyle. That little B21 sure does love making high rpm power. It took me floating the valves and dropping intake no.2 from a broken retainer to finally install the 405 head.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 01:42 AM   #21
klr142
Turbo, what?
 
klr142's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: OR
Default

Ouch!
klr142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.