• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

T5 Australian conversion

nickm

Lets look at what common world class T5 boxes are available in Australia.

Commodore V6 and V8 VN-VS series 1.
Ford inline 6 and V8. EB series2 -???

All these boxes use this bellhousing pattern Making them suitable candidates for the conversion/adapter plates available in the US.
mR0qvgQO9SYt3fq1SEcQ4kg.jpg

The primary difference between the boxes are the input shaft, gear ratios, and tail shaft shifter placement.

Input shaft

Input shafts are swappable between world class boxes depending on the bearing styles..
You must use a shaft of 9-1/4" to suit the Volvo bell housing and adpater plate. This is the common one from a US mustang box.
Pull the old shaft and count the teeth to see which is suitable.

3.33 gear sets.
Ford Mustang Borg Warner T5 Transmission World Class Input Shaft
part number: 1352-085-025
10 Splines, 23 Teeth and the length is 9 1/4"

2.95 gear set
BW # 13-52-085-020
9.25 in length
10 spline 24T
.67 pilot diameter

SKF bearings have a suitable pilot bearing.

Gear Ratios
In general both 6 cylinders got the 3.33 geat set.
It seems the both Ford and Commodore V8s got the 2.95 ratios
there appears to be a 2.95 box from the XR6 T5z too.

Tail Shaft Housing and shifter placement

200 needs 20 1/2" face to shifter. ????
700 needs 24 1/2" face to shifter.
This is a good source for the measurements
http://people.physics.anu.edu.au/~am..._volvo_240.htm

The Commodore T5 Box has a shifter approximatively 23" back
The Ford T5 is ??? back

These are the dimensions of the US Mustang box
picture.php

Remember to add the adapter plate thickness when calculating the overall measurement for the shifter position, usually 1/2".

Tail/Drive shafts.
Can be approached in the same way as the US conversions

Clutch plates
Off the shelf plates are available here. They suit the dished flywheel set up.
The Exedy catalogue has a clutch plate that is suitable
http://www.exedy.com.au/clutch-finder
using the new ford input shaft
Size 228mm

Spline OD 27.5
No. of Teeth 10

Gearbox Mounts
will be the same or similar to the US conversions
a 700 Auto cross member seems the easiest way to mount the T5 in a 700

Adapter Plates

There are several available. But The Avalache kit seems the simplest install.
Now called "Dee works" available from
RSI http://yhst-26451710505916.stores.yahoo.net/b2t5trad.html
or Yoshifab
http://yoshifab.com/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=108

You use the standard manual setup from the respective vehicle. Same cluch fork and slave cylinder setup

**************************************************************************************************************************
This is a great resource about these transmissions. It gives you a chance to see how similar the Australian units are to the US.

http://www.flatheadv8.org/T5Rebuild.pdf

***************************************************************************************************************************
Ok got some progress on a conversion for a 740.
I have an Australian commodore T5 box here.
Shifter to face 22".
Input shaft 23T - 250mm.

Got some better pricing on making up adapter plates, down to $150 CNC milled from the CAD file in 20mm Aluminium.
70mm is way to pricey
So still leaves the shaft length
The mustang 23t should work will order one. ($110including postage)

All up shifter 30mm to short (not bad? compared to the US) just a little extension.
Tail shaft shorten the AW71 2 peice and add a 1310 yoke.

Question as the release bearing(throwout) is my next part to sort out.

Can any one see a reason not to machine down the T5's bearing retainer so it runs into the Volvo throwout bearing. The Avalanche adapters seem not to have an issue with this thickness?
This rather than machine the bellhousing to accept the T5 shaft and use a T5 release bearing?

Last edited:
two ideas? 1 t56 shifter is futher back than t5 but looks like itl bolt on at the four cap screws? 2 will the t56 hydrulic bering carrier fit the t5? and would a t5-t5 spacer 20mm thick between the adapter and box {like a wheel spacer} move the shifter back and make room for the thrust bering without cutting it down or will it messup the rear c/member mount location? kudos mate keep us posted! ps my only concern with the mustang input shaft is matching the gearsett,dont know if the primary gear is same ratio?

Hey mate, you want to post up some pics and more specs in this thread? I'm quite interested in what you're doing, and wouldn't mind checking out the car after it's done. I am considering doing the same for my wagon.

uploaded some photos to my page here.
picture.php

This is for a 700-900 series needing a 24 1/2" length shifter.
picture.php

Adapter plate
Got a plate water cut from the CAD file here in 12mm plate. $30 stock and $50 cutting. Fits great. PM me if you want the company that did it.
picture.php

From a V6 commodore box I used a Mustang input shaft, the one that fits the 3.33 gear set.
Ford Mustang Borg Warner T5 Transmission World Class Input Shaft
part number: 1352-085-025
10 Splines, 23 Teeth and the length is 9-1/4
picture.php

I used a unmodified M46 Bell housing

picture.php

The clutch bearing carrier on the bell housing was reamed out about .1mm to fit the input shaft.

picture.php

From the photos you can see I used a locating ring with the T5s bearing retainer.
This could have been done differently if the guys who did the machining had been a little more careful.
picture.php

Nice work there nick. I would also like to buy the adaptor plate. What shifter is that? And would it work in my 240? Or would I get away with using the stock T5 shifter? I think 240s have the shifter hole further back in the floor. Any VN-VS series 1 V6 T5 would work? I'd also need an LH 2.4 bellhousing as my car has the hole for the crank sensor.

Thanks!

I'll look into this about the plates.
I think there are about 3 or 4 wanted already.
I might setup a thread so we can work out how many to make up.
A one off job cost about $80-90 for the plate. It was not drilled or tapped. But the markings were accurate from the CAD file.
The plate does not centre the belhousing. That would be up to you guys.
My bellhousing was from a motronic b23et-m46 that is why it has the cutout. I'm using lh 2.2 so I don't need it.
The shifter is a cheap Ebay after market.

For a 200 series you need to do some more measuring. I went through this before.

240 needs 20 1/2" face to shifter.
740 needs 24 1/2" face to shifter.
This is a good source for the measurements
http://people.physics.anu.edu.au/~amh110/Supra/supra_in_volvo_240.htm

You need to add the plate thickness of 12mm(1/2") to your T5 measurement. I'm also unsure about the fitting the mustang input shaft to a Falcon T5. Some of these boxes are non WC.

The commodore box has the shifter located way back as you can see from the photo. About 23"
A ford falcon is a bit more forward. IIRC About 21" but I discounted this box as it was not right for me.

The US mustang is farther foreword again but we did not get this shifter position.

So on a Falcon T5 -> 240 the shifter may sit about 1 to 1 1/2" too far back a Commodore about 3" too far back.

Last edited:
I'm Overseas ATM. Driving a Peugeot 406 diesel around eruope.

So all is near ready to bolt in when I get back.
Only issue to sort is shortening the front section of the tail shaft. And a mount adapter.

Just looking at the pics and wondering if a single rail front shaft will fit. perfect length (without an adaptor plate though)

Paul, what did you do to mate the single rail up to the B21, and how did shifter length work out?
Also I know you used a Cortina box, but did you use the Corty or Falcon shifter housing?
4" difference....which I ran into while swapping a Falc t5 in where a Corty single rail used to live...

I'm Overseas ATM. Driving a Peugeot 406 diesel around eruope.

So all is near ready to bolt in when I get back.
Only issue to sort is shortening the front section of the tail shaft. And a mount adapter.
Thanks mate, sounds good. I'd like to get some more info from you when you get back, as I want to do this conversion to my 745T.

Dauntless said:
Hmm. The T5 that suits a 740 (VR Commodore?), how long is it compared to an AW71? I'd prefer to use a modified AW71 740 2 piece driveshaft if possible.

It's longer. Actually all the T5 are the same length.
For a 700 you have to use a 2 piece.
The auto driveshaft needs shortening and you use an adapter, can't remember the number off hand, for the T5 yoke.

UJinline%201.jpg

Useful info.

OK, so here's a list of info I'd like to see:

Clutch
Clutch hydraulics
Suitable adaptors
Suitable mounts
Crossmember modifications
More specific information on which input shaft is required, and what's involved in that

Preferably links to as many of the above things as possible.

Back