• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1978 242gt 16v Build/Restoration

jayden_schef

The Death of the Commie Wagon
I bought the commie wagon wrecked in November of 2016, hoping to repair it and drive it. Someone had hit the front of the car on the passanger side. Sadly the damage to the front was worse then I first thought. The front was tweaked and bent, It had actually pushed the whole strut tower back and up and it was unrepairable. So I decided to make the best of the situation and part out what I could, so the car lives on in a few different 240s in the PNW. Then I pulled all the great parts off the car I had use for (Engine, the gretrag transmission setup, suspension, exauhst, some of the interior, wire harness, lh2.4 with tlao chips, Pegasus Rep wheels... and so on) to use them in a new (unknown at the time) project. I will admit I shead a few tears as I watched it become part of the scrap pile..

JLa80UBl.jpg

ESu9ritl.jpg

dhu23jil.jpg

The Rebirth of the Commie Wagon

1978 242gt 16v Turbo

Engine
1992 B230FT block
Wiseco Forged pistons
RSI H-beam Rods
Tri-metal Bearings
B234f Head Rebuilt And Ported
Ford Valve Springs
55lb High Z injectors
Ebay Fuel Rail
Rebuilt 19t turbo
Yoshifab Timing Kit
Yoshifab Shortened Distributor
Yoshifab Intake
Yoshifab Exhaust Adapeter
Lightened lh2.4 Flat Flywheel
Efan
Lh2.4 with tlao fuel and ezk chip
Lc-1 wideband o2
VDO oil, boost, and temp gauges
NPR intercooler
Oil catch can
Hallman MBC
Tanks AFPR1 Fuel Pressure Regulator
3" Exhaust, RSI downpipe, magnaflow muffler

Transmission
Getrag 265
Custom stage 3 spec clutch
Red Clutchnet pp
1 piece driveline

70H94FR.jpg

6RK2YSh.jpg

34suonJ.jpg

xzZgF3T.jpg

g2Y0H8Il.jpg

ILwU8DJl.jpg

8i8dixal.jpg

vz6galNl.jpg

631u2V0l.jpg

XsqWSjXl.jpg

jBS0cvsl.jpg

pD0Dddpl.jpg

fMwQEJEl.jpg

cOndkBXl.jpg

xycElJ8l.jpg

O66PNCGl.jpg

axVfwrIl.jpg

wXOoquil.jpg

fUpTJ6jl.jpg

jzBEej1l.jpg

AuWYIxwl.jpg

0fuqgVPl.jpg

dXOF5QAl.jpg

QZ4RSPtl.jpg

Last edited:
Needs more intercooler

Pics of engine or anything being built. Looks good

That’s the radiator you see in the picture, it does need another bracket though. Intercooler is mounted up front and is mounted well.

Last edited:
Powder coat or wrinkle paint on the intake manifold?

How does the 1 piece driveshaft work on the getrag? The one I had didn't have a slip. Did you have one built into the driveshaft?

Powder coat or wrinkle paint on the intake manifold?

How does the 1 piece driveshaft work on the getrag? The one I had didn't have a slip. Did you have one built into the driveshaft?

It’s wrinkle paint on the intake manifold. First time I’ve use it and I liked it a lot. The driveshaft has a slip built into it. I actually took the getrag swap out of another 240 that had been wrecked. So the drive shaft came out of that. Here’s the build thread of the 240 that a lot of the parts came from for this build.http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=126894

Damn. Only took 4 years to destroy Tom's wagon? That's kind of sad. Got any pics?

Yeah I bought wrecked, hoping I could straighten it out. Someone hit it in the front from the side and tweaked the front end pretty bad and I was unable to fix it. Then I picked up the 242gt for a decent price and found two clean 16v heads for 100 bucks and kinda went from there. Unfortunately I can?t find any pictures of the commie wagon when I got it but if I do I?ll post them on here.

Looks like it's going to be a lot of fun. I like the intake.

That intake is beautiful, this will be another fun 242!

Thanks, I like how the wrinkle paint turned out, I will be using it on other things for sure. It should be a fun car. I?ve ran into a little bit of a delay with spec clutch I ordered a year and a half ago being the wrong size. So I?ve got to get that sorted out.

i dont know.. 19Ts are pushing 350hp on a 5 cylinder.. so.. why not.. i believe, and i feel included too, people do think they look from the outside like a frakkin 13c and cant bring HP.. but it is not true.. but.. i'll be honest.. i would prefer also a bug holset just because.. and the looks :D

Yeah it’ll spool nice and quick and be fun for the streets, which is mostly what this build is for. We’ll see how it does and if it’s enough. But I’m thinking it’ll be a fun street car. I agree its always nice to see a big ol’ holset with top mount exauhst and a 16v redblock.

Just waiting for the new 8.5” clutch to get here and then I’ll be able to get the transmission back in. Also figured out the rear end in the gt is limited slip, any idea of what it has in it or a way to know?

Back