home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 06-15-2013, 06:18 AM   #276
Turbosteen
I was born at a young age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivehundred View Post
Like hell they won't; it doesn't take much to tweak a valve. It won't bend like a bannana but tweaking one enough that the seal is imperfect is effortless.
+1, especially on a 16v with valves positioned in an angle
Turbosteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:08 PM   #277
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V

I dont believe you can bend them turning the crank by hand or turing the cams by hand towards the piston.. mh.. we'll see...

@turbosteen.. can you tell me how to align the camgears for tdc? i have no camcover to proof
MadDog_945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:42 PM   #278
cosbySweater
Board Member

You can bend then turning it over by hand
1982 Ford Fairmont Futura, 4.8/th400, 8.8, mircrosquirt, 7875 turbo, 228/230 cam, Project Cheap Thrills

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop420 View Post
Thank you very much everybody... i now feel sufficiently retarded and will go cry in the corner...
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:42 AM   #279
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V

Uh.. OK...

Did some brakecleaner tests yesterday.. filled the channels with cleaner and watched for leaks.. all the valves with marks (intake) are dry as dust.. so no signs of damage to them.. but minimum 5 exhaust valves are leaking like hell.. they have no signs and were all pretty well lapped in with 3mm sealingsurface

I'm rly frustrated with this **** cause i dont know where this comes from.. they were all sealing well after the valvejob last time..

Will relap them and if they don't seal after that i'm out of ideas...

/edit

some valvepics...

Last edited by MadDog_945; 06-17-2013 at 02:58 AM..
Old 06-17-2013, 03:38 AM   #280
Turbosteen
I was born at a young age

I used an original volvo cam belt, it has markings on it. Don't really know where the markings are on the covers.. I'll look for some pics
Turbosteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:14 AM   #281
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V

Thx

Maybe i'll post a thread in performance about this..
Old 06-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #282
mocambique-amazone
Board Member

Don't be worry about the exhaust valves. If you start the engine ones there will be add carbon between exhaust valves and exhaust seat. This can't be close enough to seal it against brake cleaner. While running the carbon will be destroyed because of hammering of valves and speed of hammering. If you have a really good torch light try to have a look if the light is shining from exhaust port. if the valves don't shine like a sickle ")" like the moon at the beginning or end of his period, don't worry.
The polished parts of your liners from left to right site I don't like either.
if I remember right you wrote that this engine didn't start at the beginning. There will be add fuel to much and this fuel washed out the oil between liners and pistons.
A new rebuild engine that won't start but add fuel is the worst ****ty thing.
good luck, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:16 AM   #283
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V

So... I've lapped the most leaking one over and over again.. Still leaking brakecleaner... the intake valves do seal.. sounds like new seats, guides, the whole programm??
Old 06-18-2013, 05:19 AM   #284
Fivehundred

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog_945 View Post
sounds like new seats, guides, the whole programm??
Yeah, checking whether the valves are bent would be silly; after all valves can't bend when the engine is turned by hand...
Fivehundred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:06 AM   #285
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V

Uhm? Irony i didn't get? Cause im also still on the belief that you can't bend valves when you turn it by hand... not like a retard for sure.. its like turning... turning.. uh.. impact.. now.. a little bit.. more.. *tock* and not like cranking the **** out @ the pulley with a 2 metre prybar ;)
Old 06-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #286
mocambique-amazone
Board Member

Hey Maddog, do you know the diameter of shaft of valve?
if you try to lap them, you have already dismantled the Head. It is really easy to check if they are bent or not.
It is really easy to check the play between shaft and valve by hand too.

May be I can have a look on your head, if i have the right tool for they shaft I can even check and regrind your seats very easy at your workshop.
Sent me a PM with your e-mail address.

Happy Day, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:18 AM   #287
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V

send you a pm ;)
Old 06-20-2013, 06:22 AM   #288
cosbySweater
Board Member

Just kissing the valve to the piston can bend it, I didn't feel when I bent mine turning it over by hand...
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:44 AM   #289
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V

uh.. guys.. im in a search for another hobby.. when they are bent.. jesus..
Old 06-21-2013, 08:50 AM   #290
Steve T5R

Default OMG

Hi MadDog,

first of all you got my sympathy for the sh*** that happened. You seem to be a bit clueless at the moment, therefore I registered myself, maybe I can help a bit. Here what my thought's are:

- you wrote that the Hydro's are clickering like hell, are you sure, that the noise came from them? Maybe you heard the valves hitting the pistons.
- Due to the acceleration forces the piston receives while reving, the upper position of the piston changes a few 1/100mm within higher rpm's. This might lead to a slightly contact above xxxx 1/min. You remember Stoni? He had this tight squish project, at 5000 1/min the valves touched the pistons (8V). In other words, I dont believe that these marks on all four pistons came from turning the engine by hand whilst the valves touched the pistons.

You can easily check if the valves are bend, takee a look: http://www.gs-classic.de/tipps/vent_04.htm

The 4th picture from above. All you need is a prism and a dial gauge. After that you will have certainty. I Would not mind about the brake cleaner leackage at the moment.

Take care,

Steve

P.S.: You where right, my engine has not reached 250HP on the dyno....but 248 :-)
Steve T5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #291
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V

hehe cool to see you here

Yeah.. i know that pistons reach higher positions while revving in higher rpm ranges.. but the rassling was almost gone after a few km..

Funny thing is.. the valves with hitmarks are sealing well.. the exhaust valves without marks are the ones who leak.. So when the intake ones should have hit while running they shouldnt seal like they do.. besides that i may have turned them while the spring was disassembled which could explain the marks going all the way around on some valves and on some not...
Old 06-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #292
Steve T5R

Ok, we both definitely do not know which mark a valve will leave on the piston while the engine is turned by hand with a disassembled valve spring....so if the outlet valves are the ones you are concerned about, just check them for bending and the play in the guidance. If both fits, I would ignore this. Remember, the valves get the pressure of the combustion chamber too AND the outlet valves have to divert their heat through the sealing/seat surface to the cylinder head, in order not to get burned. This has not happened yet...so I would say, no problem here.

Keeping in mind what a hell of work it is to dismount the head, get yourself a "Ruck" and get the head to a machine shop to get the valve sealings/seats changed, only to eliminate the possibility that there may be a problem...only a suggestion :-)

Steve

Last edited by Steve T5R; 06-21-2013 at 11:51 AM..
Steve T5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #293
Sander
Good news everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog_945 View Post
uh.. guys.. im in a search for another hobby.. when they are bent.. jesus..
Are you at this point yet with your car?

Or are you going to slap on another head and soldier on?
Sander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:10 PM   #294
HansW
Board Member

Hi
Without feeling the pistons, it's hard to say what play is in it, -- I reccon the inlet valves touched the pistons, so either re machine the piston heads or use a thicker head gasket. How much play in the valve stems of the exhaust side? If there is too much play, you will never be able to lap them perfectly tight. -- I send you pm anyway.
Seems to me its time for stock taking --- where to go from here --
Best of success, Hans
BTW.: mine is running like a Singer sawing machine.
Head gasket: Elring standard (Mls 0.35 was too tight, -- piston- head contact),
1041 axle 3.74, M90
15G at 0,85 bar
3" turbo back JT-superflow
3" Amm. + 42lbs injectors
STONI chips in 984 ecu and 167 EZK
Bosch WR5 DC+ (+15)
HansW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:32 AM   #295
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V

Ok.... well.... I'm extremely Pissed now...

Disassembled the head Yesterday.. Edelschrott...

All guides are bend, some valves had to be forced out of the guides, some had a **** load of play in the guide, all inlet Valves have heavy marks on their shafts and look like sandblasted and.. ...yes...

So.. Have the seats regrinded, new guides, all new Valves + wages to get it done 700€? yeah.. .. i'm pissed...
Old 06-27-2013, 03:55 AM   #296
Fivehundred

Guides bent; I don't believe it. Worn out and sloppy certainly but not bent. Sounds to me like it ran with bent valves and the valves partially seized in the guides.

Question is, what did it do to the cam lobes? I also suggest you get the cam journals measured for ovality before stuffing new guides in that head.

I take it oil was getting to the top of the engine?
Fivehundred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:08 AM   #297
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivehundred View Post
Guides bent; I don't believe it. Worn out and sloppy certainly but not bent. Sounds to me like it ran with bent valves and the valves partially seized in the guides.

Question is, what did it do to the cam lobes? I also suggest you get the cam journals measured for ovality before stuffing new guides in that head.

I take it oil was getting to the top of the engine?
Yeah.. the guides feel like a banana.. if you turn the valves in them it is stuck on 12h and turns free on 6h.. you know what i mean? ;)

And yep.. oil was coming.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #298
J2_
Board Member

I have several good condition 16valve heads on the shelf here.. They are in the netherlands though..
J2_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #299
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V

Thx for the offer.. i have 4 16v heads here in my workshop.. but every one of them just jacked out of junked cars...

my head is @ the engineshop now.. they will have a look if there is something to rescue...
Old 07-02-2013, 02:44 AM   #300
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V

So..

has anyone ordered parts from pyropete @ ebay? He has this very straight offer for an XR4Ti / 16v B234F Swapkit..

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Volvo-b234f-V...item1c3446f6a8

Is this good or should i stay with SPM or KL-Racing? Here in Germany only one exhaust valve is 52€/70Dollars :D :D This is so off the top... ^^