• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

What should I do about my cone filter?

Tyler_Krupa

So I had a cone filter laying around which I threw on to my 940t when I moved the MAF between the TB and the IC (needed to for my syncronic BOV) I know this thing is probably sucking in nothing but hot air so how do you guys think I should go about it. Ive looked up making a aluminum shield for the filter but with out a tig or even a rivit gun im not sure how nice I could make it look. The second thing I was thinking of is putting the stock airbox in but im unsure of how I could hook that up since I no longer have the rubber tube that come off of it.

IMG_20130815_144224-1024x768.jpg

here's a pic of my engine bay now, what would you do?

put your maf back where it goes in between the air filter an turbo

That MAF isn't going to like life on the dirty side of the turbo.

Ive been running it there all summer without a problem. I took it out a few days ago and it was just as clean as the day I put it in, plus I have a spare in my trunk. If its really that bad for it, which I have yet to read of a single person breaking their MAF this way, then when it breaks and I'm stranded in the middle of the highway ill just put the spare on and route it back to pre-turbo.

pretty much I know the stock box flows as well or better then a cone filter, I just wanted to know if its worth trying to make the stock box work with my set up. Ill take a trip to the hardware store and get a sheet of aluminum and see what I can make. I see people use a flexible plastic tube for their intake in some pics, is their something at the hardware store I should buy for this or should I buy one of those cheap flexible intake hoses off ebay?

Tyler_Krupa said:
Ive been running it there all summer without a problem. I took it out a few days ago and it was just as clean as the day I put it in, plus I have a spare in my trunk. If its really that bad for it, which I have yet to read of a single person breaking their MAF this way, then when it breaks and I'm stranded in the middle of the highway ill just put the spare on and route it back to pre-turbo.
Guess you are late to the party, everyone I know who killed a MAF that way has swapped it back or that car has long gone to the crusher. But since you didn't read it yet I guess we are giving bad advice.

While it's clean now it's not going to stay that way for long, turbos will blow oil into the system and oil in the MAF isn't good.
So you are going to carry a spare MAF, tools and plumbing to swap this back on the side of the road when it fails?
Why not just put it in the right place now and be done with it?
Aside from the premature failure you are going to alter the fuel and timing maps due to the change in location of the MAF and this could have detrimental side effects.
But what do I know.

My plan, if it ever did fail, was to put the spare on and reroute when I get back home. I'm not trying to say your wrong or anyone else, I've owned a volvo for all of a year and of that time its only been turbo for the past 4 months. I don't know anything and that why I'm here. I searched using google and only found topics where half the people said it was fine and the other half saying its horrible so I went for it. The only difference I noticed after moving it was my idle got a little better, meaning I have a leak somewhere. My AFRs didnt change at all. I made the switch under the impression that the only oil coming out of a turbo would be oil that got into the intake from the PCV line, which I have going to a catch can venting to atmosphere.

Ill look into getting the anti-stall kit for the synapse BOV and I'll probably end up moving my maf back pre-turbo.

FWIW, I'd re- route the piping for the *air filter* (if possible) through the radiator support wall, so air filter would be in the "behind the grille area" & *in front* of IC/Radiator, so the air filter would be in & take advantage of the cooler air that is coming through the grille (than underhood temps)

Cooler air going into intercooler will be even cooler after coming out of the intercooler........is my thinking. Maybe not a lot, but certainly cooler than the underhood air it's sucking in now.

Last edited:
You can make a shroud for the filter without welding or riveting it. Make a template from cardboardthat snugly fits infront of the wheel well. Leave a few "tabs" to screw through. Then just trace it onto a piece of aluminum or something and bend it to fit. I looked through your build thread and you seem creative enough. Shouldn't be too difficult.

You can make a shroud for the filter without welding or riveting it. Make a template from cardboardthat snugly fits infront of the wheel well. Leave a few "tabs" to screw through. Then just trace it onto a piece of aluminum or something and bend it to fit. I looked through your build thread and you seem creative enough. Shouldn't be too difficult.

This, it's really quite simple. Looking at your pic there's a ton of room by the filter for a shield, if I were you I'd extend your intake pipe a bit and then build a shield for the filter and secure it to the inner fender/radiator support. Here's the post I made from when I did this to my 960:

Then today I decided to do something to my intake. For a year or so I've been using a cone filter on the end of the MAF, so today I made a heat shield for it. First, I bought a cheap 45 degree intake bend to put the filter in a more accessible area instead of right under the radiator hose:

21f67440.jpg

Then, I took a piece of cardboard and made a template and traced it on a scrap aluminum sign from my dad's screenprinting shop, and cut it out along with a hole for the 45 bend to fit through:

c49fa445.jpg

d3f546e5.jpg

Then I gave it a quick coat of black paint (barely had enough left in the can so it's kinda streaky):

4627ae67.jpg

And finally, I put some of the rubber car door strip (the stuff that protects the edge of the door from smacking into things) along the top edge of the shield. I was going to use some sort of rubber hose, but this was on clearance at Advance Auto for 5 cents, so I figured I'd give it a try and it works perfect. Seals up against the hood great. I put some along the bottom edge of the hole as well so it wouldn't scratch the 45 bend too much, and then fit it in the engine bay:

7ae6ed64.jpg

ef678a85.jpg

It fit great, and I ziptied one edge of it to the inside of the quarterpanel so it wouldn't move around at all. Total cost was only $10 for the 45 degree bend, and $0.05 for the door stripping. The rest I already had.

I've since flipped it around, trimmed it a bit and replaced the stripping along the top with some foam, and it now resides in my 745 engine bay.

29FDEC62-3443-439C-923F-CD865B19BBA2-561-000001034F4594A2.jpg

It works surprisingly well. I've been meaning to fab something up to get fresher air in there, but for the time being it isolates the filter from the ambient temperature in the engine bay well enough. After a spirited drive I can get out and touch the filter and it's not even the slightest bit warm.

Go to junkyard, find a stock turbo air box with all the clips intact, install it in your car.

The stock filter is plenty big. Give it a way to suck air from outside the bay if you're that worried about it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gCi2yo4UqPI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

*shakes cane*

I have an airbox with all clips intact the problem is I no longer have the hose that does from maf to turbo. I would much rather use the stock box as it covers the rusted battery tray. does anyone know what combination of piping would work as a substitute to the rubber hose? I remember seeing an engine bay pic with the stock box but not the stock rubber hose but i cant seem to find it.

Colder, denser air will make more power, but modern ECM's will compensate based on the IAT readings so it doesn't make as much of a difference.

Back