• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Transmission cable install trouble

icdpride

I have a 1986 Volvo 240dl with a m46 with a cable clutch, and I am struggling to get the clutch cable reinstalled with the metal block that goes on the outside of the clutch fork does anyone have any tips or tricks?

Are you using the stock or aftermarket cable?

If you're using stock and you can't do it... then you did something hella wrong because it's super easy with the entire housing threaded.

If you're using aftermarket I did an entire thread on this because...
1. The aftermarket cables are horse sht and
2. There are TWO different sizes listed but no one seems to differentiate between them.

Once you ensure that you actually have the correct size, remain worried because it STILL isn't really a picnic to do.

There are basically two ways that seemed to work for me. On my 87 sedan M47 the ONLY thing I could do was...

Install the cable WITHOUT the iron block in it and snug that sucker down as tight as you can. Then... depress the clutch pedal in the car and lock it down using the seat and a snowbrush or a stick or something. Then... crawl back under the car and using like 3 of some legit zip ties (some of the monster ones... don't skimp, if it snaps you'll crap yourself and your face will come off) Zip them onto the fork and around something else down there. Then... working decisively release the clutch pedal smoothly. attach your iron block and tighten the cable too much. Depress the clutch again and lock it in place. CAREFULLY snip the zip ties which should theoretically be loose now, remove them using the last bit of muscle power you have left after wrestling with the damn thing and adjust the cable.

The second way was on my 93 which is an auto converted using the above bell, but a T5 and somehow I was able to wrestle that one in using leverage and will. I put this into the category of PFM (pure fudging magic).

I'll try and go find my thread... good luck! Stay part of the ten club.

Also as the car in question was a Buffalo car, it's worth lubing the hell out of the CABLE itself for longevity.

Back