home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 03-11-2021, 04:37 PM   #51
283SD
Board Member

If you are going to do this conversion find the cleanest car that you can, you don't want to deal with rust and the swap. Any year will work, I like the early models w/ 4 head lights. I could go on with the details of the swap, but it would take up the whole page.
283SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 04:30 PM   #52
Volvo240Powerglide

Feel free to drop details on the swap I'd love to hear all of it. My Tacoma is in the shop right now getting a new head gasket (ouch) and once that is done I'll have more time to interact on the thread.
Volvo240Powerglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:51 AM   #53
283SD
Board Member

You will need to alter the cross member at the rear, notch it and reinforce it [to clear the oil pan] so you can get the Chevy in lo and as far back as you can. I used an old style "window dist" to get firewall clearance. Depending on the year Volvo the steering shaft will be an issue with the left side exhaust, early cars had a smaller shaft. On the right side getting the exhaust around the starter will be an issue with block huger headers. Custom exhaust system,stock manifolds work well, I milled the left side on an angle to tuck it in closer to the block to clear the steering before I went with block huger headers. Custom radiator, I have two pusher fans with a thermo switch and an over ride in the cockpit. You will need to reverse the shift linkage on the PG If you want to you the stock shifter. A new drive shaft will be needed/adapted. Wiring is not, hard use the stock temp sender with a modified fitting, alt works[GM] the same way as the Volvo, starter wire,oil pressure same deal. It is not hard but you will need to fab parts, some where I have the patterns for the motor mounts. PM me for more info.
Old 03-17-2021, 11:09 AM   #54
JohnMc
PV Abuser

Here's the steering shaft I used on my LS swap: https://www.walmart.com/ip/COLEMAN-M...-118/180080655

The stock shaft is bulky and has a rubber isolator - I figured even if it didn't touch that the heat would eventually break down the rubber.

Might as well go 'full width' on the radiator - the 240 radiator only fills part of the space in the radiator area on a 240. I used one of these: https://www.northernradiator.com/HIG...ACE_PRO/209622
Pretty much a direct bolt in. They have a 'Chevy/GM' version that's the same other than the high/low hoses and filler cap being on opposite sides. I needed the 'Ford/Mopar' style because I have a couple of wastegates down low on the passenger side - can't have a radiator hose there too.
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 12:28 PM   #55
283SD
Board Member

When I had my radiator Custom made HD 4 core, I used the full opening of the core support opening, GM upper and lower hose fittings, I run a remote expansion tank with a filler plug on the radiator. I also had a dead end tube put in on the upper hose side to put the temp sensor in to turn on the fans with an override on the dash.
Old 03-17-2021, 12:52 PM   #56
JohnMc
PV Abuser

I kept my Turbo expansion tank off to the side, and a plain non-pressure cap on the radiator.

And rather than try to find hoses that would work, I just pieced mine together with silicone couplers and bits of aluminum tubing. With a couple of sensor adapters along the way - one to turn the fans on and off (also have a dash switch), and one for the Volvo temp gauge sender.
Old 03-29-2021, 12:00 AM   #57
Volvo240Powerglide

so @283 the sensor would read temperature and turn on the fans? did I get that correctly? what is the purpose of the override switch?
Old 03-29-2021, 12:00 AM   #58
Volvo240Powerglide

Also are you guys running oem gauges?
Old 03-29-2021, 12:37 AM   #59
JohnMc
PV Abuser

I retapped the sensor adapter in the radiator hose for the stock Volvo temp sender. There are two on the Volvo motor, one with two leads for the ECU, one with a single spade connector for the gauge.

Tachometer running from an output on my Megasquirt, set to 50% scaling.

Aftermarket oil pressure gauge that I was using on the Volvo motor is on the LS motor - just used an adaptor for the sender in the LS motor's normal oil pressure spot.
Old 03-29-2021, 08:18 PM   #60
283SD
Board Member

Default Temp sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo240Powerglide View Post
so @283 the sensor would read temperature and turn on the fans? did I get that correctly? what is the purpose of the override switch?
The fans will come on automatic with the sensor in the radiator, the over ride is so that I can turn them on before the sensor does, example, If I see traffic stopped, long wait at a light, waiting to get through a toll booth,at the bank drive up etc.