• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Air compressor noise

IansPlatinum

How much time do you think I have left on this compressor? Sounds like bad bearinga to me. Think it could also be noise from low pag oil? I added oil when I put in some r12a (propane mix)...

particularly looking for people that have had compressors that sound like this.
How much longer did yours last? What happened when it failed?

https://youtu.be/BitiaB8K1-M

Ah! The grinding up ice cubes noise. From my own experience it may last a long time. I have never done a autopsy on a dead one so I don’t know what causes the noise. Keep something in the car that can cut/remove the belt if it locks up.

Ah! The grinding up ice cubes noise. From my own experience it may last a long time. I have never done a autopsy on a dead one so I don’t know what causes the noise. Keep something in the car that can cut/remove the belt if it locks up.

Sounds like bearing to me, like the noise they make when there's a broken cage or loose tolerances between the ball bearings and races. There were some shoddy rubber bushings on prior allowing this compressor to run at a gnarly 5 degrees in relation to the crank

Also, in the video, after I turn off the compressor, you can still hear some whine. Does that just sound like belt whine or power steering pump whine maybe?

Did you charge with a gauge? Overcharged A/C systems can sound pretty bad.

The good news is when that compressor finally dies the clutch bearings are still good (from the sounds of it with the compressor off) so you will loose A/C but not P/S

After the compressor is off the whine sounds mostly belt related but could be P/S pump...if it gets extra noisy when turning the wheel without the car moving I'd lead towards pump. They can make that noise for quite a while, but if the fluid is old and dirty looking sucking it out with turkey baster and adding some fresh, quality fluid (or correct type) may get some extra life out of it. Best of luck...

Did you charge with a gauge? Overcharged A/C systems can sound pretty bad.

The good news is when that compressor finally dies the clutch bearings are still good (from the sounds of it with the compressor off) so you will loose A/C but not P/S

After the compressor is off the whine sounds mostly belt related but could be P/S pump...if it gets extra noisy when turning the wheel without the car moving I'd lead towards pump. They can make that noise for quite a while, but if the fluid is old and dirty looking sucking it out with turkey baster and adding some fresh, quality fluid (or correct type) may get some extra life out of it. Best of luck...

I used a gauge but filled with R12a, which is hydrocarbon refrigerant. If anything, it might be a little underfilled now.

Back