• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

AW 70/71 Boss Size

smurf244

The smurf is no more
I am trying to do a custom cooler setup for the slush box but I have ran it to a bit of a snag. I know the factory setup uses -5AN lines and fittings but at the transmission, there is something a little different. There is a 90* elbow that has a -5AN for the lines and another size for the transmission. The transmission end doesn't seem (by eye) to have the same thread class as the -5AN side so could it be that it is maybe 1/2-20 or something? Or would I be better off trying to tap it to 1/2 NPT?

Adam

JIC 1/2-20 37 degree female swivel is a perfect fit.

lines8.jpg

The line ID is 1/4, compared to the line OD of 9/16 for -5 AN.

Wait, are you replacing the elbow itself? The part that screws into the transmission is 1/2 thread as well, but not tapered.

JIC 1/2-20 37 degree female swivel is a perfect fit.

The line ID is 1/4, compared to the line OD of 9/16 for -5 AN.

Nice setup.
FYI, JIC and AN don't have the same thread class; they are close enough to where they will work together in low pressure application and some thread sealant. BTW -5 line is 5/16 OD.
Like I said earlier, I will be using a after market cooler so I could just get a -5 to -6 and be done with it but I thought it might be easier to go from the trans to eliminate AN fittings.

Thanks,
Adam

Wait, are you replacing the elbow itself? The part that screws into the transmission is 1/2 thread as well, but not tapered.

Yeah, I thought it might be easier to replace that elbow and go stright from the transmission. So it is a 1/2 ORB, that is even harder to find then -5. So ether way it goes, I am still going to have to go from -5 AN to what ever or drill and re tap the bosses?

Thanks,
Adam

Yep, you're right on 5/16, I was thinking one thing and typed another.

I don't know if you would need to tap it out, my thread gauge says 1/2-20 *should* fit - I've got the elbow sitting right here. It has fewer threads than the outlet and is not tapered.

BDKR did what you're talking about here - http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=749410&postcount=62

But I don't think he ever posted the fitting sizes.

Yeah, BDKR didn't say size fitting that was but thats o.k. cause I think I have figured it out. It is a 1/2-14 NPSM. I have a fitting order and will find out if it will work.

Adam

Back