• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Brake Rotors

mike762

I've got a question for the experts here. My local Volvo shop recommended a front brake job on my wife's XC70. They say that there's 2mm of pad left, and they quoted me almost $500 for the job, which included new rotors. When I quizzed them on why they didn't turn the rotors instead of going with new ones, I was told that Volvo makes the rotors too thin and if turned, the old ones would warp. Is this true, or am I being played for new rotors?

i would get new ones, i dont think you are getting played. infact i just ordered new ones the other day, they should be here on friday :)

True.
There isn't alot of material on Euro rotors.
Depending on how much is left they can sometimes be skimmed,
but most shops won't do it.

shouldn't the rotors have the numbers cast into them of what the minimum thickness is??

Pretty sure the Volvo OEM's do.

They're not nearly as expensive as I thought they would be from the stealership, actually cheaper than Advance Auto's brand. I put OEM pads and rotors on the front of my T5 earlier this year, and it was under $200, possibly a lot under $200.

Go for the new ones as even unturned ones can warp just by looking at them wrong,
as there is not much metal left after they have been turned/skimed,they are very prone and also likley to crack.

Regards Rogerb

buy your own parts and DIY. it is very easy.

fcpgroton.com, germanautoparts.com, autohausaz.com etc all have good prices. looks to me like the parts are roughly $70 per rotor and about $70 for front pads. cheap

Back