• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Transmission swap - '91 non-ABS manual sedan -> '93 ABS automatic wagon?

wyatt8740

Does the ABS system in the '93 240 wagon I'm picking up complicate automatic-to-manual swaps when using a non-ABS car for the driveshaft? I'd really rather have the less-torquey manual-car gearing ratio for purposes of fuel economy, but am concerned about losing or having malfunctioning ABS as a result.

This will be one of my first times doing anything major in the drivetrain of one of these cars, and I don't want to end up with the transmissions/driveshafts out and no way to finish the swap.

Also, why do the wagons have a stronger driveshaft than sedans? Is it just for towing and heavy loads? Or is there some other factor I'm not taking into account? I've previously been told here that my sedan driveshaft should work in a wagon, but again I'm wondering if ABS throws a wrench into things or if it "just works" for light loads.

So, does ABS play into the swap at all? Do I need to find an ABS manual or buy some part to comp,ete the swap and keep ABS?

The exact cars are a '91 244 with M47 II transmission and no ABS, and a '93 Classic automatic 245, which I am en route to pick up in around 3 hours time.

I have a few other questions I'll ask later about other little things, but getting rid of the slushbox is high priority for me.

Last edited:
In a nutshell no the ABS and driveline setup aren't an issue. the main thing for the abs is the rear axle which reads the vehicle speed and looks for speed differential. So if you keep the same axle and speedometer it should be fine. Or you can swap over the speedometer and rear axle and have it matched up to the axle.

The driveshafts interchange. Just be sure the rear flange matches up. If it doesn't you can swap the flange as well.

The speedo and rear axle ABS run off the tone ring which is mounted the the diff carrier / center section. You'll notice the sensor on the diff cover. The tone ring will always run 1:1 with your wheel rotation. Therefore, you can pretty much do whatever you want and retain correct speedo and ABS operation. The exception is you can't swap in a say, a 3.31 carrier that has a different tone ring (there were at least 2 different numbers of "teeth" through the years). Instead you would swap the ring gear only from the donor diff carrier to your original carrier.

My 93 245 auto wagon has been swapped over to a T5 manual using parts from my 87 244 M47. It has no involvement with the ABS.

If you're going Volvo to Volvo then the swap should be extremely straight forward.

If you're towing... your stock clutch will go long before your driveshaft.

Back