home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 05-18-2017, 03:07 PM   #26
DanMarino
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EivlEvo View Post
You guys... this jack is incredible.

Nevermind my kickass lawnmower exhaust. This thing is 31" high!
Need lawnmower exhaust details!
DanMarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:20 PM   #27
UrbanHillbilly
Board Member

I'm going to have to agree on this one. I had a HF 3 ton steel jack for a couple years. Apparently, it doesn't agree very much with lifting my truck with a diesel engine.

I've since purchased the mentioned Costco aluminum jack and it has been flawless. Much lighter and higher quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareD View Post
Oh man... researching jacks can make your head spin. I had a "michelin" floor jack that I bought from Sams Club for a while. When that crapped out and I learned you couldn't rebuild it I researched intensely for a couple weeks trying to decide what to replace it with. I ended up going with this American Forge and Foundry 2 ton model.

Honestly, it's worked flawlessly, and I like the low pickup... but the front two wheels are slightly uneven. This is after I returned the first one for the same reason. It's beefy and seems well-built... and it's supposedly easily rebuilt, but overall I'm not super impressed after the money I spent.

Arcan seems to make decent jacks for the money. Costco sells a 3 ton aluminum jack for 100 bucks that seems like a good buy. If I had it to do over, that's probably what I'd get.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:05 PM   #28
EivlEvo
Board Member

That ride on came with the house in non working condition. Of course it was simple to fix... clean out carb and old fuel. Replace drive belts. Go.

BUT! The muffler was bad. So the damn thing was LOUD AS HELL. And I used to fly jets and props. It's loud. Plus... front exit exhaust... so even if I fixed it, I'm still driving through my smog.

Looked at the price of lawnmower muffler, looked at the price of regular muffler. Got regular, ordered a few bends, welded it (shoddily) all up so it exhausts low and away so I don't have to smell like mower exhaust when I do the lawn now. It was pretty easy TBH. Melted the headlight though lol.
EivlEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:11 PM   #29
matt b
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanflametrap View Post
I've been using that one for -- let me check -- since April 27, 2004. I'd buy another if I needed to.
Mine's going on 7 years with daily use. Not a single problem except the large rubber pad wearing out. I just use shop rags instead.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:53 AM   #30
FreeEMSFred
Board Member

Plus one, I'm getting one ASAP. Quality engineering and supporting a first world economy is worth it IMO.
FreeEMSFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:04 AM   #31
Otto Mattik
Board Member

"HF" Harbor Fright ?

I see several versions of 1.5 ton alum jacks at $79.99 and many at higher prices. I'm not crazy about that ink roller type front wheel, but at $79.99 who can complain ?

https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...ump-62160.html
Old 05-19-2017, 06:45 AM   #32
Kenunot
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Mattik View Post
"HF" Harbor Fright ?

I see several versions of 1.5 ton alum jacks at $79.99 and many at higher prices. I'm not crazy about that ink roller type front wheel, but at $79.99 who can complain ?

https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...ump-62160.html
If you're patient, it goes on sale for $60 several times a year- I think I bought mine on a Black Friday.
That thing should be able to brake boost and light the tires like a camaro driver on the way to **** his sister.
Kenunot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:05 AM   #33
57plymouth
Board Member

I had a jack with a bad seal. I tore it down, measured the seal and bought a new one off e-bay for about $2. The jack oil cost more than the seal.
57plymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:34 AM   #34
VB242
Knucklehead Mc Spazatron

One of the caster wheels broke off my Pittsburgh forge jack, I just put a piece of round stock under the frame.....

2017-05-19_08-23-27
Old 05-19-2017, 12:31 PM   #35
MistrThou
Darth Mog

I believe I bought the 2.5 ton Harbor Freight jack because it had the best combination of the lowest start point, the highest lift and best lifting capacity.

MistrThou is offline   Reply With Quote