• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Random engine shutdown 97 940

Zzzer

Hello everyone , i was considering buying a '97 940 volvo wagon that has a random engine shutdown issue , meaning the car will shutdown at any given time , the owner have changed the following part :
Fuel pump
Fuel pump relay
Crankshaft input sensor
Spark plugs
Ignition harness

I was thinking of replacing the powerstage and the ignition coil , check the battery and the wires connected to it , and check the wire grounding .

is there anything else that could be the cause of this ?
Is this just doomed from the start or is there a chance for an "easy" solution ?

Regina Car? Replace that powerstage and coil. New Chinesium parts over the counter at your local O'Reilly.

Yes i think so , hope this will do the trick , i will have to drive it back home 550 mile so maybe replacing it before going back is a good idea . Thank you

Another thing I'd do is to check the ground connections in the engine compartment for corrosion and clean them.

I had an issue with the car shutting off when I had a bad ground, but only when I had the high beams on.
It can cause many issues.

There are several ground points in the engine compartment, top off my head:
- Inner fenders L/R (lots of stuff connects there, headlights for example)
- Firewall, valve cover and intake manifold connects to there
- Battery negative to bottom rail
- Alternator to engine block

Regina Car?
95-98 940's are all LH2.4

Thanks you all i will check all of this while coming back with the car , i still have a week to gather information , these car are kinda rare in france and they are usually expensive so i will give it my best shot :)

Do the Regina cars have a CPS? Cleaning engine grounds is always a good idea as mentioned above. When car heats up grounds can tend to loose contact.

When the shut down occurs, is it just the engine that quits or do you get power loss to other devices? Do you ever get the situation where the engine momentarily quits and then restarts? If you have general power loss and momentary failures you could have a failing ignition switch which is causing loss of power. With the engine running try wiggling the key back and forth in the lock cylinder to see in you can trigger a shut down.

My 740 developed a worn ignition switch which started causing shutdowns whenever I hit a large dip in the road driving home from work.

Back