• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

122 brake booster retrofit

spock345

One thing on the to-do list for my 122 is to give it power brakes. Has anyone had luck with one of the kits that Skandix sells?

Skandix appears to offer 3 options, a Lockheed universal brake booster kit, a "what I think is a Chinese" copy of the Lockheed universal brake booster kit and a booster that more resembles the original Girling brake boosters that were used on the P1800S and pre-1969 122 Volvos.

The Lockheed universal booster kit was what Volvo sold as an update to the original Girling brake boosters. They are functionally the same, but are harder to install due to the dimensions being larger. It would have helped if Volvo had made mounting brackets that fit the cars that used this style of brake booster as the brackets included in the kit are flimsy and are practically useless.

If I'm right and the copy is the same cheap versions we have had to deal with, they aren't worth the money unless the manufacturer improved the part. 2 of our customers bought the cheaper copies off of ebay several years ago and they both failed way sooner than the actual Lockheed versions. And when I contacted the rebuilder we use, they told me they couldn't rebuild the Chinese version as they used seals sizes they didn't have.

Up until this morning I wasn't aware of the last option, but I like the fact that it appears to be smaller than the Lockheed booster and that it mounts to the stock brackets for both the P1800S and 122. The price is up there, but the rebuilt original Girling brake boosters I sell cost almost as much and if a core is needed, the new 1 will be a little cheaper.

Skandix appears to offer 3 options, a Lockheed universal brake booster kit, a "what I think is a Chinese" copy of the Lockheed universal brake booster kit and a booster that more resembles the original Girling brake boosters that were used on the P1800S and pre-1969 122 Volvos.

The Lockheed universal booster kit was what Volvo sold as an update to the original Girling brake boosters. They are functionally the same, but are harder to install due to the dimensions being larger. It would have helped if Volvo had made mounting brackets that fit the cars that used this style of brake booster as the brackets included in the kit are flimsy and are practically useless.

If I'm right and the copy is the same cheap versions we have had to deal with, they aren't worth the money unless the manufacturer improved the part. 2 of our customers bought the cheaper copies off of ebay several years ago and they both failed way sooner than the actual Lockheed versions. And when I contacted the rebuilder we use, they told me they couldn't rebuild the Chinese version as they used seals sizes they didn't have.

Up until this morning I wasn't aware of the last option, but I like the fact that it appears to be smaller than the Lockheed booster and that it mounts to the stock brackets for both the P1800S and 122. The price is up there, but the rebuilt original Girling brake boosters I sell cost almost as much and if a core is needed, the new 1 will be a little cheaper.

Is the Lockheed one a reasonable choice?

Yes, the Lockheed booster works just fine

Back when we didn't' have a reliable rebuilder for the original Girling brake boosters, it was the only choice if you wanted a working reliable brake booster for old Volvos.

Back