• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Underfloor storage key different from regular key?

SnakeRacingCo

Hi everyone,

Continuing to figure out things with the 245 I bought a week or so ago. Under the rear cargo area, there's a little storage cubby which is locked with a key. It would be a really convenient place to keep tools, except the one key I got with my car doesn't seem to fit! I just got some new keys cut in the hope they'd work but they fit even worse than the original.

At this point, I'm assuming these cars came with secondary keys for the storage areas, am I assuming correctly? I was going to check the glovebox as well, since my key works on all doors and the ignition.

Thanks!

I want to say that on my '93 the same key works on the doors, the ignition, the glovebox, and the rear cubby.

While I was typing that out I remembered that there is a 'real' key and a 'valet' key - the real key fits everything, the valet just works on the doors and ignition. The difference is one of the ridges on the side. You may have gotten a 'valet' copy made of a valet key.

Does your key work on the glovebox?

After a certain year it's just one key for everything, but you might've just gotten a valet key. You should be able to have an original key cut by a dealer with the VIN, AFAIK.

Wait, there is a lockable storage cubby in the cargo area? Was this standard on all models? My 245 did not have one.

It's only a storage space if you don't have a third row.

I did not have a third row. So this thing that you can pull and lift up? Mine did not have lock on that, like below.
Sorry for the thread hijack! Was just wondering.

ebay157437.jpg

Ah that's interesting. Seems so, all the ones I've ever seen look like the ones from my picture without a lock.

Some markets that is an option. In the US it became standard. I don't remember one on the 75 wagon we had. But all the other wagons we had have had the lock for the storage.

Back