• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Vince's '89 244tic sleeper

Finally got the ignition problem fixed.. SDS warned me not to use a stock rubber dampened pulley.. but I figured I could fly under the radar for awhile.. which I did, for about 60k.. Installed Dales underdrive pulley that does not have a edis tone ring.. It also only has two grooves for the alternator belts.. which had to be much shorter.. I think the stock belt was 918mm and the belt I got was 830mm.. Keep in mind I went to a smaller water pump pulley to compensate for the underdrive drive pulley a little. No problems with misses or hesitation above 4k.. no backfiring.. everything feels great now.. Hopefully it'll put down more than 220whp next month on the dyno!

So instead of buying a nice new Zspec World Class T-5 from Ford Racing ($1400.00)... I'm doing the next best thing.. I'm building up a box from scratch with a 450hp rated gearset from Astro Performance Warehouse.. I've built a couple, maybe three T-5's so I figure if it blows up, I have nobody to blame but myself ;-)
DSCN1229.jpg

This Gear Kit was found in all of the Ford Motorsports "Z-Spec" T-5's.. The Input Shaft used in this Kit is a "Needle Bearing" Design, not "Tapered". This Kit will convert your "Heavy Duty" or "High Alloy" T-5 Transmission from a 3.35 1st Gear Ratio, to a 2.95 1st Gear Ratio! If you reuse your Factory/OEM 5th Gear Kit (5th M/S = 27T & 5th C/S = 59T), your Final Overdrive will be even more Fuel Efficient! Your Final Overdrive Ratio will be a .61%, instead of the Factory/OEM .68%!

Also ordered a overhaul kit to tighten everything up, as well as their rear countershaft bearing support plate which is supposed to allow you to run a little tighter preload on the countershaft to keep the gearsets from walking apart from each other due to the helical cut of the gears. Decided to go with a SPEC clutch this time.. Ordered a 6 puck unsprung hub disc for the 10 spline ford input shaft. Hopefully if business stays stable, next week I can order a shifter and get my driveshaft made up!
product_thumb.php

DSCN0788.JPG

Waiting on parts...

Why not? Springs just add extra weight and more complexity.

What pressure plate do you plan on using? MrDoug's wagon is 6puck sprung w/stock PP and it's really nice. I'd just like to see a head-to-head of the two.

I rode in an unsprung car a few months ago, 1.8t mk2 GTI, it was a little grabby but you didn't feel the "shimmie" of the springs.

You aint cool till you pee your pants right?

Hey, I'm cool, I'm cool!

Wait, wut?

Poop. I was going to post up a pic of my 6 puck-no-spring but evidently I never took one :e-shrug:

They are pretty grabby but you get used to it. Helps if you drive it often.

Last edited:
I'm running a 18lb 9" dished flywheel with a Yellow pressure plate from Clutchnet (which I dont reccomend, those chicken pluckers dont speak good english)

signature must be edited accordingly.

What a sweet setup. Gonna do something with the intake any time soon?

Picked up my driveshaft yesterday.. It's completely new from the slip yoke to the flange at the pinion.. 3" steel balanced. Came to 288.73. I had Standard Parts here in town make it up for me, turnaround time was incredibly fast.. Hope the crossmember mods go well.. Still need to order a shifter and a pilot bearing.. Not the cheapest mod.. I'll tally up the list of how much I've spent next week once I'm done.

Back