• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

The Norwegian '88b 744 B230FK long term project

BraZZers

I've wanted to make a build/restoration thread for a while now, so might aswell start now before i've got too much catching up to do.

The car is a 1988b Volvo 740 that i've owned since february 2018. It's a factory B230F with LH 2.4 - that's why i chose this car for what's gonna be the main upgrade: a B230FK from a '95 940 that will be plug and play.

Here in Norway we need to submit an application to "Statens Vegvesen" (equivalent to American DMV) for changes that will alter performance or handling. If you want to get the application approved it's on their terms. In this case the FK engine needs to be in stock condition, front brakes needs to be ventilated, and i need to install a 21mm swaybar from a turbo car. As soon as the swap is approved and stamped in my registration title, i can start doing upgrades on the FK - more on that later.

Besides the engine swap/upgrade, i'm going to do a complete restoration both mechanical and visual and make the car shine again. My goal is to keep it looking stock and sporty at the same time if you get me. No blue silicone hoses and flashing gauges and all that ricer crap (no offense) :)

Todo list is not complete - will be adding and crossing off things along the way. Feedback and suggestions are much appreciated. Things marked in green is completed.

Exterior/interior:

- Eggcrate grille
- Turbo wing
- Boot garnish panel
- Tinted taillights/garnish panel
- Snowcap
- USA headlights
- Stock foglights w/ brackets
- TIC rear side windows (aquired)
- Momo old style leather steering wheel and hub
- Extra gauges in dash
- Find and replace cracked door panels
- Reupholster or replace front seats
- Reupholster saggy headlining
- Remove rust and repaint body
- Remove trailer hitch
- Underbody treatment
- Center flip 15" steelies (2/4 done)

Mechanical:

- Replace rear brakes
- Bigger front brakes (tips for bolt on upgrades wanted)
- 21mm front swaybar
- Upgraded shocks and springs (yet to decide what kind)
- Adjustable panhard rod
- Polyurethane bushings
- Restore and install 1031 axle with Dana Powerlock diff
- New wheel bearings and hubs

Engine:

- B230FK and M90 gearbox (aquired)
- 530 head with 44/40 valves and KG2T camshaft
- Top mount exhaust manifold
- T04E T3/T4 ceramic ball bearing turbo (aquired)
- 3" custom downpipe to 3" JT superflow catback
- 3" MAF, IC and tubing
- HKS dump (aquired)
- Bosch 968 injectors
- Bosch 044 in tank pump

And now for a few images.

When i first got her. Yeah, not exactly the look i'm after:
2zrfifa.jpg

Cleaned up the front and installed eggcrate grille:
34y2tk6.jpg

Replaced left quarter-panel because of a nasty dent. Removed the bracket for additional lamps in front of the grille. Diplomatic showplates just for the lulz:
5uiyc8.jpg

Bad quality interior pic with refurbished Momo leather steering wheel:
2j12b9g.jpg

I guess the rest of the car was as white as the quarter-panel once:
2efjhbs.jpg

My big and scary guard dog:
3160xl1.jpg

New pads, discs, shields, and handbrake assembly
2usbhvp.jpg
2q8aqac.jpg

Center-flipping steelies that came from a Ford Connect:
2chmlpu.jpg
15mbgk1.jpg

Test-mounted the two steelies i have finished so far:
fwq1c1.jpg

Will be a perfect fit when i centre bore for Volvo, but i had to compensate with 5mm spacer for testing:
w725nq.jpg

Picked up garnish panel, turbo windows, and turbo wing:
34474o5.jpg

Picked up some badges. Also got the intercooler one that goes under aswell
2z65ceg.jpg

Turbo wing repainted and mounted-ish. Need to straighten it out a little because it's been stored under weight.
Garnish plate mounted and tinted along with taillights:
24fd76g.jpg

Temporary gauge plate was made because i needed a voltmeter. Had some issues with charging, so i got paranoid after i got stranded:
20uoqc1.jpg

And this right here makes me hard as a rock.. my brand-new US headlights. You have no idea how much i love the look! I tried for ages to make someone in the US trade theirs for my E-code headlights, but no response. Ended up ordering NOS assemblies piece by piece from Sweden, out of stubbornness and principle. You Americans pay like $50-100 a set at the junkyard, around the same as i pay for E-codes here in Norway. What do we sell them for to eachother? $500! :omg: That being said, this was a little more expensive than buying used on ebay :lol: It's no point for me to try to trade anymore, but i still have my E-codes + blank corner lights if anyone wants it..
u4ets.jpg

Semi-sealed 4x6" with lenses was the only aftermarket parts i bought for the assembly because i like the looks better than stock ones, and i hate not being able to only replace the bulb when it goes.
2r3f80j.jpg

Corner and park lamps will arrive in the mail the next few days :oogle:
v5xq50.jpg

The rest of the US lights arrived today! I have a semi right now, i'm not even kidding.
I'm not sure if i want to keep the chrome or go black. If i decide for chrome i'm gonna swap grille frames with the blue wagon in the background. What do you guys think?
sg6by8.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good, welcome.

There better be some Fake Norwegian taxi vidoes posted soon

Ofcourse, stay tuned! :lol:

I don't think anyone wants to trade because pre-facelift US headlights are the best headlights.

They are indeed the best looking ones, but i think the light output are terrible compared to E-codes

I dig the opera windows. nice project!

Thanks! So that's what you call them over there? We call them turbo windows because they were only available on TIC models

Back