• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

92 745 Turbo - 'thud', loss of power, now crank doesn't turn- 'is it dead Jim'?

Pull it out with the torque converter still attached. I pulled a motor at the junkyard thinking it was a good one and got it all out a few hours later then I tried to turn it over.. Nope, it had broke rod bolt cap inside. Lesson learned now I always turn them over first before pulling them.

If a converter bolt backed out and is hitting the block it sure as hell won't spin. That's my point.

While true, I'm not sure it would cause a 'thud'. A broken flex plate might...

I still believe that this damage is likely inside the block.

If a converter bolt backed out and is hitting the block it sure as hell won't spin. That's my point.

Gotcha.

I looked at a $400 940 with a "bad engine" once. I told the seller it sounds like a bolt banging around in the bell housing. He kept the car.

Merry Festivus All,

Thanks to all who replied or otherwise hoped for our wagon.

Just received the call from the local "volvo expert"- She is dead... looks like a piston has failed and will need to be replaced. No word on damage to the bottom end, but it looks like the options are a rebuild or a replacement engine.

The expert things they can find a replacement for roughly $3K. Not sure thats the way to go at the moment. Looking at all the options.

Really wish I had a garage where I could do the work myself. Doesn't seem like it would be hard to pull the motor, remove the head, rotate the bottom end and replace a piston.

I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks again,

NoVA Dad

93~95 squirter B230FT turbo donor..... begin searching. I wouldn't be surprised an Indy mechanic would want at least $1K for the labor. car-part.com or post in WANTED for a VA donor.

Find a fresh (late) block. Spend half a day replacing exhaust studs, seals, water pump, timing belt, adjust valve lash, intake/exhaust gaskets, water hoses for oil cooler, new pcv box, oil pan gasket maybe too.

Deliver block to workshop, have them swap it. 3k sounds like a lot to me. Of course it won't be free. But a few hours to pull the engine, few to drop new one in, swapping some parts to the block, wiring, checks, one full day should be a realistic time frame to swap a block, especially since the old engine is partially dismantled already. More time if the shop needs to source new engine, do the stuff I mentioned etc.

Doesn't seem like it would be hard to pull the motor, remove the head, rotate the bottom end and replace a piston.

It isn't that hard. But if your motor slung a piston into the head... It isn't exactly feasible either.

If that is indeed what happened, then you (nearly certainly) need a long block. That is definitely going to cost you if you're looking for something not needing refurbishing.

Whatever you do, make sure you understand what you're getting.

3k for a "low mileage" engine with a new gasket set, water pump and belt is meh, kinda high ESPECIALLY if labor is not included.

Last edited:
+1, $3k is a LOT for just an engine:wtf: I did a b230 to b230 swap on a friends 240 for $500 total, including my 160k mile b230. So really really cheap. Probably should have charged more..

Anyway, his 240 locked up as well without launching a rod. After pulling the engine i dropped the pan and there was no oil in there at all. I later discovered that the flametrap was almost entirely clogged. This thing profusely leaked oil. New engine in (half the mileage), new flametrap, all is well.

I would personally rather swap in a known good engine instead of trying to replace parts. If something physically seized up, there is likely additional damage.

I'm open to suggestions.
Drop another bottom end in it. Even a 90+ B230F would do...but does require drilling for the oil return, and running an oil feed line off the front of the engine.

Also, check the hose to the wastegate actuator, make sure this one didn't blow up from 30 pounds of boost :lol:

where are you located?
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/cto/d/upper-marlboro-95-volvo-940-classic-no/6774198043.html

Run it up to temp, compression test it, hope for the best?

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org...d-1990-volvo-240-dl-wagon-for/6761463871.html

M
The expert things they can find a replacement for roughly $3K. Not sure thats the way to go at the moment. Looking at all the options.

NoVA Dad

Gentle suggestion: Find other "experts"...

Haven't read carefilly all your posts..I get that you don't have a garage.....but do you have a car-port? A friend with a car port?
A engine out of a crashed car is an OK bet...It had to be running for the car to be in a crash.
And engine from some derilict abandoned car is sketchier.
Think: you want less problems, you want to know the engine works so the annoying labor of yanking the engine--whoever does it---is not wasted if it doesn't start or soon develops a major problem..

The biggest question is this: How much do you love the whole car? Now its dead..you can look at the cost of replacing the engine with a "good used" OR a "freshened up" engine as buying another car...Would you pay $1200-1500 for your car? Cause in one way that is whatcher doing.

Back