• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

YASVT (Yet Another Sixteen Valve Turbo) - now 16V Whiteblock (LS)

But I did manage to find one, and bought it. Pics of it here when it arrives.

Awesome! I didn't mean to make you nervous, I just have a friend who bought two of that exact config when they were first announced. He still hasn't gotten them.

Do you want to say where you got it from or are you keeping that a secret?

It was the eBay seller up above. Not the cheapest seller, like I said, but they actually had one sitting on a shelf to ship.

I just didn't find anyone else who had them available, and this guy had said they had one and one only, made me get an itchy mouse finger and click the BIN button.

It's here!
IMG_0684_zpsc911baab.jpg

IMG_0685_zpsd28a223b.jpg

IMG_0686_zps938dbb6d.jpg

IMG_0687_zps959df6e8.jpg

IMG_0688_zps57dd1953.jpg

Goes on this:
IMG_0246.jpg

Diry? Just kidding. Looks nice, and looking forward to your review of it!

No sooner made the post than we went off to spend 4 1/2 days backpacking in the Ozarks.

Step one - put the new pistons back in the motor and put the motor back in the car.

Googling around it seems like the T4 divided housings had massive rejection rates (60+%) at the foundry when using the super slick investment casting the EFR's were all supposed to have.

So they had to swap to a much cruder looking sand casting method to get the production moving again. Still stainless steel, just not as pretty as it was supposed to be. But I gather they quickly learned to invest some more time in prettying up the sand cast housings before shipping them out, some of the first ones that went out were pretty nasty looking:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/foru...Warner-EFR-7670-Finally-Arrived-Not-Impressed

That explains the shortage on the IWG divided scroll units.

I sure hope so.

Going back to stock cams this time around. I may try some slightly better cams in a year or so (I did NOT like those damn Schneider 'race' cams, way too much cam for street driving).

Thats too bad about the supply on the turbine housing. I am sure what you have will work fine, the investment cast ones are pretty damn sexy though.

Got an AWESOMELY packed Cometic HG in the mail from Blubrik in the mail. Srsly cool little wooden packing container:

IMG_0700_zpsd46bb1f5.jpg

IMG_0702_zpsaaf8950d.jpg

Thanks! Awesome packing job!

That allowed me to put the head time and start looking at the fitment. And... of course, bane of my life, buying all these random parts and expecting them to fit together.

Bolting the manifold directly to the head, and the turbo directly to the manifold... and the turbine housing actually lightly touches the cam gear. That's a little close clearance.
IMG_0703_zps11327fee.jpg

IMG_0704_zpsfe8b9c51.jpg

IMG_0705_zpse1fdd225.jpg

IMG_0706_zps7dd63462.jpg

IMG_0707_zpsa9c7e262.jpg

Pondering a cheap, quick, and dirty fix. Get another exhaust flange, maybe some longer studs, and space it over a bit (mocked up with nuts on the exhaust studs). And get another T4 divided flange and use it as a spacer between the manifold and turbo (old T3 flange laying about used as a spacer here):
IMG_0709_zps9a7475f1.jpg

IMG_0710_zps1299ee56.jpg

That nets me a little more clearance, although I still am a little curious how the T-belt will handle hot shutoffs, sitting next to a hot turbine housing. There might be enough clearance for a heat blanket though, def enough for some sort of sheet metal shield as well.
IMG_0711_zps2f93e5c4.jpg

Is this tactic a decent one? Or should I just ship the mani off to someone to have it cut and rewelded to tilt the flange away from the motor some?

Back