home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 09-23-2015, 09:06 AM   #226
crogthomas
Board Member

For future reference during your engine rebuild, have a look at this picture from the following thread:
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...=218895&page=2

crogthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:16 PM   #227
peterwgpa
Board Member

Brad - We are going to hook up an idiot light for Temp after our experience.

In terms of Welsh/Freeze/Core plug issue from experience we believe that we were being too gentle and not taking it from concave to convex far enough but we already have the items below on their way for Insurance which is a lot like your picture. In fact at the track we McGivered a similar setup on Welsh Plug instal number 3 after checking TurboBricks and it stayed in but the damage had already been done. We only changed one of the factory installed plugs in between race meets because it had a very slight weep. The replacement plug is the one that let go twice. In hindsight we would just leave it be as it was only a couple of drops after each race.

Here is our 3rd attempt which was done at the track and held. We used a piece of metal bracket the right width to space behind the brace to hold it in place as well as a 2 part fast drying epoxy on the advice of a Jaguar engine rebuilder who rebuilds a lot of 50 plus year old blocks that get a little brittle and uses it for welsh/core/freeze plugs. He even uses the 2 part epoxy for rocker cover gaskets etc which is very interesting

Picture lost due to Photobucket scam - Apologies

Heres the link to what we have coming

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=286724

Thanks for the practical ideas guys. Much appreciated

Peter

Last edited by peterwgpa; 12-02-2017 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: Photobucket rip off attempt
peterwgpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 02:04 AM   #228
BradC
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterwgpa View Post
Brad - We are going to hook up an idiot light for Temp after our experience.
The only problem with that is by the time the light comes on damage has already been done. When you dump the coolant the temp sender in the head suddenly has nothing surrounding its sensitive bit to transmit the temperature. It heats up with conducted heat from the head through its threads, but it's _slow_. Some way of monitoring coolant level is much quicker.

I've seen pressure sensors in the cooling system, which is a cool way of doing it. I just put a cheap float switch in the overflow tank. If the coolant loses 6-500ml the light comes on.

Anyway, I've been watching this (and your stuff on the other forum). Takes me back to my yoof when I used to go to Wanneroo and watch the Volvos thunder around with all the other fun cars that made up the Australian touring cars (before Holden and Ford had them outlawed because they couldn't keep up).
BradC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 02:49 AM   #229
peterwgpa
Board Member

Thanks Brad

Having a look at both these Australian distributed products at present and likely to fit one or both just deciding. Cheap insurance for when we put in the purpose built engine.

http://www.enginewatchdog.com/tm4.html

http://www.enginesaver.com.au/

Peter
Old 09-30-2015, 03:39 AM   #230
BradC
Board Member

I'm torn. The TM4 is just an overheat alarm, but it's adjustable and bolts to the motor itself. The enginesaver is a coolant loss alarm. Potentially the coolant loss alarm is going to be much quicker to react, but then the TM4 will pick up overheating from other sources (such as timing or fuel issues). Either is better than what you have now
The enginesaver is the equivalent to the float switch. If you'd had that on the track you'd have known within a second or so that you'd had a catastrophic failure and been able to shut down before you'd even seen a temperature spike.
Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda.. hindsight is always 20/20 and it's easy for me to sit here and comment from the comfort of my office 3,500 km away.
BradC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 05:46 AM   #231
peterwgpa
Board Member

Leaning towards the TM4 myself. Quite like being able to keep track of the head/engine temp regardless of the alarm feature.

Yep hindsight is 20/20 but you certainly learn more this way.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:21 PM   #232
peterwgpa
Board Member

We finally got round to pulling the engine out and swapping over to our spare. Pulled a late night/early morning session (2.30am finish) and managed to get the broken engine out and the spare back in with everything hooked up and just have to weld a broken exhaust mount and fit the exhaust and change the oil and filter and we can fire her back into life.

Purpose built race engine still in planning stages but we have suspension items sussed and should get within the next month to allow for a shakedown prior to years end.

Thread cleaned up due to lost photos from Photobuckets rip off attempt - Apologies

We kicked on after this and refitted to the car etc. But shes ready for an oil change and exhaust refit and fire up.

Next stop new front and rear springs.

Last edited by peterwgpa; 12-02-2017 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: Photobucket scam
Old 10-23-2015, 07:07 PM   #233
morrisamazon
Board Member

Any of the steering wheels on the wall are for trade or sale?

morrisamazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:54 PM   #234
peterwgpa
Board Member

No sorry
Old 10-31-2015, 03:41 AM   #235
peterwgpa
Board Member

Well we got the engine fired up and tuned and timing set etc. Just have to replace two Exhaust manifold studs which have stripped out. We are going to move up from the current M8 size to a M10 studs by drilling and retapping. Have bought a complete set of M10 studs for the spares kit which will be packed with the drill bit and the matching M10 Tap just in case we ever get stuck at the track.

Car is off to have roof repainted to fix a stuff up from putting car together at start of year. One of the sunvisor screws was too long and pushed a dent into the roof. Oh the simple things can be so annoying.

Thanks to DVS we have new front springs, rear springs and adjustable rear spring perch on the way which will be fitted up as soon as they arrive. Thanks to some sound advice from a couple of flat trackers here, double checked with some trusted experienced Volvo track competitors here in Australia we had target spring rates. Even though we have not yet found a source to get to our target front spring rate the DVS new offering gets us much closer. Remember we cant run coil overs so we are stuck with standard front struts and 5 Inch springs.

Car is booked in late in November to run at Lakeside to shakedown the new engine and suspension items in preparation for Philip Island Historics in March 2016.

We are also fitting up one of these http://www.enginewatchdog.com/tm4.html and we are also going to link the low oil pressure alarm option to it. We will have Engine head temperature monitored and both it and low oil pressure on a loud alarm. Going to mount it in one of the standard Volvo accessory trays that sit above the radio so long as we can find it in our shed.

The car also got another mention in the latest Muscle Car Magazine which was very cool. One of the benefits of being that "Rotton Volvo". For the magazine they interviewed Peter Williamson the driver of the camera car and voice in the attached link - See 3:59 mark of footage and Spencer Martin the driver of the Volvo. In listening in on the interview Peter Williamson was not happy with the Co Driver David McKay's reaction to an incident in Practice on the Thursday more so than the attributes of the 242. The car was controversial before the race and during the race as it was running on road tyres which is estimated to have cost it over 10 seconds a lap. It was also termed the mobile chicane by one of the top drivers. That said it finished the race in 20th position due to not missing a beat all day on 3 out of the 4 original tyres. A great testament to the Volvo product and following the race there were some converts. I tell you one thing for a privateer car it is well remembered by the Public and that is evident every time we take it to the track. We never fail to get someone come up and say hey why are you not still running the original Uniroyals.

http://youtu.be/t8-MekEsk3c

The current issue magzine

Thread cleaned and photos lost due to Photobuckets extortion attempt

Last edited by peterwgpa; 12-02-2017 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: Add youtube link
Old 11-10-2015, 05:42 AM   #236
peterwgpa
Board Member

Got to be happy with that. We managed to win our class for the years racing

http://www.heritagetouringcars.com.au/results/
Old 11-10-2015, 06:50 AM   #237
Paddler Ed
Board Member

Did you see Shannon's Legends of Motorsports at the end of October? They had John Bowe on there talking about his time in the 242? Clicky here that may or may not work for the Americans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forg View Post
Alfa variable cam timing is just something not working properly & flexing inappropriately
Cars:
'92 Toyota 4Runner 3VZE
'78 LandCruiser HJ45 ute
Bikes:
'91 Yam XT600, ex-Aus Army
'07 Yam WR250R, long range dirt bike

Past:
'00 V70
'94 854
'86 'Cruiser FJ73
Paddler Ed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 12:23 AM   #238
peterwgpa
Board Member

Not yet Paddler

Will catch it on replay
Old 11-14-2015, 03:49 AM   #239
peterwgpa
Board Member

Last night we got to and changed the two troublesome 8mm exhaust manifold studs out for 2 by 10mm studs by drilling it out to 9mm and running a 10mm tap. All good and ready for next weekend.

We also got the TM4 temperature monitor and alert fitted up and we also made use of the Oil pressure warning feature as well.Took about 40mins to fit up. Instructions excellent.

When we fitted up the R sport dash we put in the dual pole 10 Bar sender which allows feed to the gauge from 1 pole and the other is wired to both the alarm feature and the EGR light on the dash.

We fitted it under the dash on far right of the picture directly below the kill switch and we have good vision from drivers seat. Note not fitted in this picture

Thread cleaned and photos lost due to Photobuckets extortion attempt

And this is it on start up - If you don't start within 10 seconds the low oil alarm will sound as the Oil light is lit up on dash. Alarm sounds until you hit the key and as soon as oil light goes out it stops.

Once its running you get temperature of engine. We have sender hooked to rear rocker cover bolt above cylinder 4

So now we have the alarm feature for Oil Pressure and High temperature which is not reliant on water in the cooling system

Last edited by peterwgpa; 12-02-2017 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: Photobucket scam
Old 11-26-2015, 03:17 PM   #240
peterwgpa
Board Member

Shakedown been and gone on spare engine. 3 laps in and blew head gasket. Good news is the new temp alarm works a treat so avoided cooking engine.

We have pulled the trigger on a purpose built N/A engine which will be built for a local meet in February next year before we haul the car 2000kms each way to Phillip Island in March. At this stage pretty sure cam will be KG8 with associated headwork and a bottom end refresh. We have a 1979 virgin bore B23E bottom end and a number of 405 heads with best one to be used. Kjet CIS has to stay too. We have to play within the rules and engines are inspected and sealed. Will dyno the car post rebuild so we will finally get a read on power. Not expecting huge gains but 30-50 extra ponies would be nice. Will be interesting.

Will keep you posted.
Old 11-26-2015, 04:29 PM   #241
12david34
Board Member

yes for a great decision!
Old 12-06-2015, 07:26 AM   #242
ovlover
Board Member

I use Stag Jointing Paste for welch plugs, only used it on Rover 3.5L V8s so far. I have heard good reviews from a few workshops and I haven't had any plugs leak for me to date.

https://www.blackwoods.com.au/part/0...tag-200gm-tube
ovlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 01:48 AM   #243
peterwgpa
Board Member

Thanks Ovlover

KG8 cam on the way (thanks DVS) and suspension upgrades will be fitted front and rear over the holidays.

New oil pump on the way from USA, Full engine seal and gasket kit bought, FIA homologation papers bought and research done on what we are allowed to do under the rules engine wise and decisions made. Engine builder has block and two heads for strip down over Christmas break with January and into early February build time. Has to be back in car ready to roll by Feb 20.

FYI I priced from Volvo Australia dealer a genuine Volvo Oil pump to suit a B23E $1260 and set of Volvo head bolts $540 and needless to say we passed on pulling the trigger to purchase.

Will post up some suspension shots when we drop the new bits in over the next week.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:37 PM   #244
bgpzfm142
crossmember

Quote:

FYI I priced from Volvo Australia dealer a genuine Volvo Oil pump to suit a B23E $1260 and set of Volvo head bolts $540 and needless to say we passed on pulling the trigger to purchase.
It's because of this kind of obscenity that volvopartswebstore.com is my friend, and Australian stealers dealers are not.

Ash at DVS did me a great deal on OE head bolts. And I got three new Melling M181 oil pumps ex-USA for less than half of the price above.

_______ THE FLEET (AKA good luck trying to park around here)
71 1800E | 73 144 | 74 142 | 74 145 | 79 242GT | 85 244 | 88 780 V6 | 93 945T | 2010 S80 V8
plus a Holden Commodore VT SS 5.7
feedback thread
bgpzfm142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:21 PM   #245
Tuff240
240 Ninja

If you need anything bought in usa and shipped your way from a seller that won't ship to Oz, I don't mind helping if needed/wanted.

-Patrick
Tuff240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 02:55 AM   #246
peterwgpa
Board Member

Thanks Guys for the info and the offer. Don't worry will give you a hoy if needed. I have been very fortunate to have Roger P help me out in past as well for parts ex USA.

Yes I have a Mellings 181 on way from USA for just over $200 landed here with air freight included.

Ash from DVS is always very helpful and a great source of parts and will likely be supplying more early in the new year. To date he has supplied a heap of Suspension parts and KG8 cam. Very helpful at reasonable cost.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:57 AM   #247
peterwgpa
Board Member

Dropped in some new suspension bits from DVS tonight. As we cant go coil overs on front under the rules we have to run standard spring size so we have gone the hardest we can get and have been supplied by DVS.

Thread cleaned and photos lost due to Photobuckets extortion attempt.

They did Show some DVS and Kaplhenke goodies

We were lucky today and we picked up a reconditioned Short block for a very keen price from a local engine builder who had it on the shelf for a little while and wanted to move it on as very few people bother these days.

Last edited by peterwgpa; 12-02-2017 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: Photobucket rip
Old 01-06-2016, 12:34 PM   #248
Tuff240
240 Ninja

Quote:
Make sure your car isn't sitting on the bump stops. Trim them down so you still have plenty of suspension travel.
Tuff240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:50 PM   #249
peterwgpa
Board Member

Thanks for heads up Tuff
Old 01-07-2016, 10:14 AM   #250
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Look at them fancy parts.
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©