• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Moving Rear Axle Ahead - Torque Rods / Trailing Arms

Langille

Been trying to find info for a couple of days without much luck. Car is parked waiting on parts / advice so any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Lowered my 240 last month, put on custom wheel spacers that were measured to fit, but the tires are rubbing just a bit on the back of the rear fenders. The ideal thing would be to move the rear wheels ahead.

I found this thread that does seem to suggest that shortening the torque rods does bring the rear wheels ahead, but I'm just looking for a definiitive answer before I take the plunge and order torque rods tomorrow: https://forums.tbforums.com/showthread.php?t=195465

Questions: Show everyone how much you know! :)

1) Can adjustable torque rods move the rear wheels ahead? I understand that the action of these is to rotate the rear axle assembly into alignment, but I wouldn't expect the centre of that rotation axis to be exactly the wheel centre. Hoping that shorter torque rods = wheels move ahead, even if it's only a little bit. Please school me on this. :cool:

2) With shortened trailing arms is there any need to modify the driveshaft or is there enough play in it to handle trailing arms that have been shortened 10-20mm?

Thanks in advance!

Shortening the torque rods alone with affect the pinion angle quite a bit. To do it right you will need to shorten the trailing arms as well.

Depending on how much you're lowered, you will need to shorten the driveshaft as well. Mine was bottomed out in the slip yoke with stock trailing arms, although it was lowered quite a bit.

Thanks for the reply but I am much more interested in moving the wheels ahead than correcting the pinion angle. Does adjusting the torque rods do both?

Thanks!

Ok, and if I don't shorten the trailing arms, the torque rods only rotate the axle and won't give any additional clearance without trailing arm mods?

Been trying to find info for a couple of days without much luck. Car is parked waiting on parts / advice so any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Lowered my 240 last month, put on custom wheel spacers that were measured to fit, but the tires are rubbing just a bit on the back of the rear fenders. The ideal thing would be to move the rear wheels ahead.
!
ideal?
lot of work versus correct spacers or massaging fenders.
worth it?

Even Volvo recommends trimming the inner fender lip when running the factory 20mm spacers in the rear.

sapacerbig.jpg

They were offered to even out the track width since 240's are narrower in the rear, increase clearance from the inner wheel well for wider wheels/tires and there's supposedly an increase in cornering G's as well.

http://people.physics.anu.edu.au/~amh110/Wheel_spacers/spacer_info.htm

The kit came with 2 spacers and 10 longer studs.

WheelSpacers.jpg

Leave it to the pro's to have this handy tidbit of info stashed away, but accessible!

To the OP; I see a 5lb sledge an a fender dolly in your future. Make sure all of your rear suspension bushings are in good shape before you start this adventure, or you will be chasing your tail forever..:nod::omg:

You will probably need to adjust the length of your panhard bar as well, seeing as you've lowered the car.

Back