• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Big 3 cable replacements

Unless you are planning to lay a 380kV line in your engine compartment why would you use an aluminium cable?

almost everything sold as "automotive wire" at Advance Auto, Vatozone etc. is in fact copper-clad aluminum.

Hit the jy on a 50% off day and find a BMW that had a trunk mounted battery. At the local yards all battery cables are the same price, no matter length. I get about 10ft. of 1/0 cable power for $3.50. then you need terminal ends and a crimper (I got the kind you hit with a hammer).

On my 89 240 I mounted the alternator on a 740 bracket. Now I have a power wire running from the alternator to the battery, and another running from the battery to the starter.

Anybody have any recs for replacement of the big 3 cables under the hood of a 240?

A nice upgrade for the early 240s is to use the late model battery cables, they let you use the batteries with the ground next to the fender. Plus then you can get an Interstate that fills up the whole tray

Those ipd battery cables aren?t very well made in my opinion. I bought the harbor freight hydraulic crimper and welding/battery cable from Amazon. If your patient and measure before you cut you can make a nice organized looking setup that will be much better than anything you can buy premade.

Those ipd battery cables aren?t very well made in my opinion. I bought the harbor freight hydraulic crimper and welding/battery cable from Amazon. If your patient and measure before you cut you can make a nice organized looking setup that will be much better than anything you can buy premade.

This is a great way to go that is pretty cheap and fun/easy to do.

^When I did my battery relocation to my trunk I used some welding cable (same thing as a battery cable) and a hydraulic crimper and my electrical connections are solid.

Welding cable normally has many more finer strands than regular battery cable, allows it to flex more and not break at the connection. Run a nice beefy ground from alternator straight to battery

I ran welding cable from the battery in the r/r butt cheek to the starter, I don't know what gauge wire it is, the O/D is about 3/4", added 10lbs.

Back