• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

M46 OD Rear Extension Housing Nuts

DStarratt

Does anyone know the recommended torque for these nuts?
It looks like one is leaking so I want to torque it up to see if the leak stops.
Thanks.

Is it one of the 2 nuts on top that's leaking? Because of the shape of the gasket, the top two studs need to be sealed. Early J type OD's used a copper crush washer. Volvo updated them to a conical plastic washer that gets jammed into the housing next to the stud to seal it. It can't be reused and it also makes it really hard to get the housing off later.

You can see from this pic where the gasket goes over 2 of the studs instead of all the way around. This allows oil to travel up the studs so they need to be sealed. I prefer using a copper crush washer and Permatex #2 non hardening thread sealer on the threads. It's a 5/16"-24 stud so torque it to 20 ft lbs.

gasket-behind-brake-ring-j.jpeg

Thanks! I have the plastic gasket. The leaky stud is on the bottom unless the fluid is leaking from a higher stud and traveling it didn't look that way but it's definitely possible. The suspect nut was looser than I expected too. I'll torque up the nuts and see if that solves the leak and go from there.

Ay! This is likely the source of my leak after rebuilding and replacing all the gaskets on my OD. The two studs you're referencing would be circled one correct?

Attachments

• gasket.png
    gasket.png
    67.8 KB · Views: 32
Back