• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Building an Off-road/Soft Road 240 Wagon?

Im running KYB Excel-G part number 344082. Im using wagon overloads and a 1" spacer, they seem like a good fit. I just had to drill out the metal bushings in the shock bushings a little.

Last edited:
Any negatives to raising the spring cups versus just extending the strut bodies? Have you noticed any ill effects of doing this? I could get away with just raising the cups i think running the 27" mud tires i have.

Probably a better plan they tend to bend when lengthened by adding on a with stock wall thickness tube section.

Gotcha. I had planned on sleeving the strut tube with some schedule 40 pipe. I feel like this would be much stronger than just butt welding in more of the same thin tube. Not sure which way to go now. Does moving the spring cup net any lift?

Quick! Someone tell me how these are going to kill me before I put them on my car.

bHGpMVFl.jpg

Ended up cutting my strut tubes and sleeving them with 2" schedule 40 pipe. Very tight fit, but i feel this will be very strong. I'll finish up reassembly in the morning. Cant wait to get this thing on the road!

A bit late but for the rear, check out 32322 Monromatic shocks off a ford expedition. They are supposed to have the same collapsed length as stock but 4 inch more extension.

I meant just cutting the spring cup and moving it up versus adding in length to the tube. I didn't know if "preloading" the spring any would lift the vehicle any. Im guessing probably not...

Yes, of course that will raise the car.
It sits on springs, raising them raises the car.
Extending the damper housing potentially changes travel.

A bit late but for the rear, check out 32322 Monromatic shocks off a ford expedition. They are supposed to have the same collapsed length as stock but 4 inch more extension.

KYB 344082 is also a great option for lifted applications. They are for Chevy Astro vans originally. Im running limiting straps due to the longer shock length.

Dredging this up to add some useful info I found for my '92 745 concerning shocks.

I already extended front strut tubes by about 2" and put the XJ springs in the back but the shocks are topped out and I'm just riding on the rear spring so I've been looking for shocks. I'm buying cheapo KYB's cuz it's just a beater. Here's what I've found; both of these options provide about 2" greater travel and an overall increase in length of about 3". Pretty good options I think. Only size difference is the they are more narrow at the mounts then stock. Gonna order the Saturn ones because they are $20 cheaper, will report back.

Stock- #344270
Upper mount- E2(12.2x54.8)
Bottom mount- E2(12.2x54.8)
Extended length- 18.46
Compressed length- 11.65

Saturn Vue ($32.79)- #343433
Upper mount- E2(12.2x42)
Bottom mount- E2(12.2x42)
Extended length- 21.65
Compressed length- 13.38

Land Rover Diso ($45.30)- #345037
Upper mount- E2(12.2x43.5)
Bottom mount- E2(12.2x43.5)
Extended length- 22.36
Compressed length- 13.89

Last edited:
Currently have diesel spec lesjofors in front and xjs in the back, but want to go an inch or more. Thinking about 1.75" xj spacers for the rear. Torque rods arriving, used ipd panhard bar frozen and won't loosen...

Back