home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2018, 07:34 PM   #76
t8fanning
8v are still cool, right?
 
t8fanning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cedar Hills, UT
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkaplan View Post
Tate is also living at high elevations. his old setup would have been much faster and probably adequate at sea level.
Elevation is definitely the issue. When I drove to Socal euro it made 30 psi all day down there and even overboosted. I had to drop wastegate duty by like 15% at high RPM. The car felt so much faster. Once I got back up to elevation boost dropped right back down and wouldn't make my target.
__________________
1982 242 Turbo.
t8fanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:39 PM   #77
doucheNozzle
Newbie
 
doucheNozzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Pitt, 15147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
Elevation is definitely the issue. When I drove to Socal euro it made 30 psi all day down there and even overboosted. I had to drop wastegate duty by like 15% at high RPM. The car felt so much faster. Once I got back up to elevation boost dropped right back down and wouldn't make my target.
Guess you know what you need to do.
__________________

'00 XC70 SE - Slow
'04 V70 T5A - Feels Fast
doucheNozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:33 PM   #78
RvolvoR
Master Troublestarter
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: PDX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkaplan View Post
Definitely agree on the timing comments.

Tate is also living at high elevations. his old setup would have been much faster and probably adequate at sea level.
oh, elevation absolutely was the reason for his...but a 6258 isn't going to make anywhere near 600hp for damn sure. My coworker has a 7670 on his evo 8 with a 1.01 housing on it and is still at 25-26 psi to make 450whp on an engine with a much better flowing head...
RvolvoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:59 AM   #79
Mogly
280WHP Regina
 
Mogly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tucson, AZ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvolvoR View Post
oh, elevation absolutely was the reason for his...but a 6258 isn't going to make anywhere near 600hp for damn sure. My coworker has a 7670 on his evo 8 with a 1.01 housing on it and is still at 25-26 psi to make 450whp on an engine with a much better flowing head...
But it'll sure get me to the 500hp even my s256will get me into the 500hp mark no issue.
If your friend has that turbo and is only doing what a stock evo turbo does y'all need the pros.
__________________
🦍
403whp, profile picture
Ford Colonge V6 in the works.
Mogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:01 AM   #80
Mogly
280WHP Regina
 
Mogly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tucson, AZ
Default

Why complain about my timing? maybe you outta go outside pop that laptop open and see what you are doing wrong.
Mogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:01 AM   #81
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!
 
linuxman51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: mont, AL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogly View Post
Why complain about my timing? maybe you outta go outside pop that laptop open and see what you are doing wrong.
mog be like:

>advances timing<

still slow

>advances timing<

still slow

>advances timing<
>breaks engine<

"you guys are a bunch of *******s"
__________________
"They bum rushed them in their own crib, they drank all their beer, they partied with their ladies and they left with the trophy"

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
Plug and play LH 2.4 Megasquirt, now with stealth mode!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:10 AM   #82
JohnMc
PV Abuser
 
JohnMc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: St. Louis
Default

I know my 16V certainly felt faster with a bit more timing advance. Wheeeeeee!!!!


Then after a few K miles, the MLS would start pushing coolant at full boost.
__________________
'63 PV Rat Rod
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:41 AM   #83
Marvelous3
Who engineered this?
 
Marvelous3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Atlanta
Default

This is becoming my favorite thread of November.
__________________

1990 240dl Kaplhenke Coilover Daily
1991 245+16 Valve Turbo Microsquirt
Need Hyundai or Genesis parts? PM me for Genuine Hyundai or Genesis parts
Marvelous3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:01 AM   #84
RvolvoR
Master Troublestarter
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: PDX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogly View Post
Why complain about my timing? maybe you outta go outside pop that laptop open and see what you are doing wrong.
you know how i know you don't know what you're talking about?
RvolvoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:03 AM   #85
Mogly
280WHP Regina
 
Mogly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tucson, AZ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
mog be like:

>advances timing<

still slow

>advances timing<

still slow

>advances timing<
>breaks engine<

"you guys are a bunch of *******s"
Come on Howard, it's not an ls.
Mogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:04 AM   #86
Mogly
280WHP Regina
 
Mogly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tucson, AZ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvolvoR View Post
you know how i know you don't know what you're talking about?
I can give two ****s what you think.
Mogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:11 AM   #87
JohnMc
PV Abuser
 
JohnMc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: St. Louis
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogly View Post
Come on Howard, it's not an ls.
Are you suggesting it's harder to make HP with an LS?
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:17 AM   #88
Mogly
280WHP Regina
 
Mogly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tucson, AZ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
Are you suggesting it's harder to make HP with an LS?
Inside joke.
Hell no, LS engines be killing it.
Mogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:23 AM   #89
RvolvoR
Master Troublestarter
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: PDX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogly View Post
But it'll sure get me to the 500hp even my s256will get me into the 500hp mark no issue.
If your friend has that turbo and is only doing what a stock evo turbo does y'all need the pros.
uhhh...the record for a stock IX turbo...on a built bottom end...running e85...on a MIVEC motor (evo 9)...on 30 psi....is 440ish whp.


Ergo, calm down there, little buddy.

I think I've got it figured out...you don't realize that EFR numbering nomenclature isn't the same as Precision numbering.
RvolvoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:24 AM   #90
RvolvoR
Master Troublestarter
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: PDX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogly View Post
I can give two ****s what you think.
Actually....I already knew you didn't know when you talked about running 38* of timing...
RvolvoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:26 AM   #91
cosbySweater
Board Member
 
cosbySweater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Monterey/Falun
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
mog be like:

>advances timing<

still slow

>advances timing<

still slow

>advances timing<
>breaks engine<

"you guys are a bunch of *******s"
__________________
1979 Volvo 244DL 6.0/4l80e,8.8,Ms3x goldbox ecu and Mircrosquirt tcu, GTX4202r, 228/230cam, tbss intake, 11.4@123mph 9psi
1991 Volvo 245, Efan conversion, tcam, 4.10s, Aw71L
1982 Ford Fairmont Futura, 4.8/th400, 8.8, mircrosquirt, 7875 turbo, 228/230 cam, Project Cheap Thrills

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop420 View Post
Thank you very much everybody... i now feel sufficiently retarded and will go cry in the corner...
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 12:20 PM   #92
Mogly
280WHP Regina
 
Mogly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tucson, AZ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvolvoR View Post
uhhh...the record for a stock IX turbo...on a built bottom end...running e85...on a MIVEC motor (evo 9)...on 30 psi....is 440ish whp.


Ergo, calm down there, little buddy.

I think I've got it figured out...you don't realize that EFR numbering nomenclature isn't the same as Precision numbering.
440whp, what's that in crank HP?



Yes I do. But both turbos I mention may not push 600hp, but they sure will gete close.

Why you being a little bitch about the timing?? I hope you realize that's on e100 low boost and midrange rpm, my final timing ° is 2x° at my final rpm maybe less under load.

Last edited by Mogly; 11-29-2018 at 12:28 PM..
Mogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:03 PM   #93
RvolvoR
Master Troublestarter
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: PDX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogly View Post
440whp, what's that in crank HP?



Yes I do. But both turbos I mention may not push 600hp, but they sure will gete close.

Why you being a little bitch about the timing?? I hope you realize that's on e100 low boost and midrange rpm, my final timing ° is 2x° at my final rpm maybe less under load.
You are literally talking right out of your leather Cheerio. Show me, oh wise one, where a td05 framed turbo has made more that 440awhp in an evo...

Also, an efr 6258 ran at the kind of boost you need for it to make 600whp will literally explode...the compressor wheel will be well beyond it’s over speed rating.


Also, talking about “midrange, part throttle, low boost” timing numbers is like saying you have a 9” flaccid unit, but it goes down to 4” rock hard.

Shoot...for that matter, I run 50* of timing on pump gas...at no boost...and barely any load...at 2% throttle.
RvolvoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:07 PM   #94
2turbotoys
Salaminizer
 
2turbotoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Reading pa
Default

Lol
__________________
1979 242 B21 on MS, waiting on L33
1991 740t RIP at 320K, dam rust...
2006 V50 T5 AWD Eurosport Tuning Stage 1 kit, downpipe, intercooler
2turbotoys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:05 AM   #95
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!
 
linuxman51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: mont, AL
Default

I just like the gratuitous use of "leather cheerio" and the amazing "shrinking unit" (musta been cold outside!)
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 01:40 PM   #96
blkaplan
50 shades of beige
 
blkaplan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Rockville, MD
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvolvoR View Post
Actually....I already knew you didn't know when you talked about running 38* of timing...


pretty much. It probably wont knock on e85 but you aint doing anything any favors at that number.
__________________
www.BEIGEPOWER.com
Kaplhenke Racing Facebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 03:54 PM   #97
RvolvoR
Master Troublestarter
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: PDX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
I just like the gratuitous use of "leather cheerio" and the amazing "shrinking unit" (musta been cold outside!)
It’s short, but man is it thin.
RvolvoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:36 PM   #98
mikep
The MP
 
mikep's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: 38° 27' N 75° 29' W
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvolvoR View Post
uhhh...the record for a stock IX turbo...on a built bottom end...running e85...on a MIVEC motor (evo 9)...on 30 psi....is 440ish whp.
.
i know a guy in alabama who tried real hard to blow up an evo.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
Have you ever seen a cat, with fries in its mouth, beat up a dog?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
You should beat up the cat with a cheeseburger in your mouth to assert dominance
mikep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:58 PM   #99
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!
 
linuxman51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: mont, AL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikep View Post
i know a guy in alabama who tried real hard to blow up an evo.
wasn't me. mine had a 35r on it, not a stock turbo (also made 440 awhp)
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:12 PM   #100
Andrewhans
Turbo LS ****poster
 
Andrewhans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Kenly, NC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
Andrewhans. You can use the formula on the home page here to calculate your hp to a reasonable educated guesstimate. http://www.turbobricks.com/resources...uartermiledyno

Have fun! I got 634.7hp for your car.
That's actually a really cool calculator! At race weight of 3320lb I came up with 740hp net. So it's doing a little better than I was expecting.

I've ran the numbers on the Wallace Racing Calculator and it's come up with 680hp at 3320lb race weight. Not sure were the calculation difference is but either way interesting numbers!
__________________

60' 1.8
1/8 6.82 @ 111.1mph
1/4 10.34 @ 138.5mph
18psi 14deg timing E85
3140lb no driver
3320lb with driver
Andrewhans is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.