home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2018, 09:50 AM   #26
240wagonguy
Board Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Weare, NH
Default

I also measured all the redblocks and whiteblocks I have lying around. In a 700/900 chassis, using factory engine mounts, the whiteblock and redblock bellhousing flange is the same distance back from the motor mounts. Whiteblock auto bellhousing is same depth as M46 bellhousing. So anything that works for a redblock transmission swap will also work for a whiteblock. In a 7/9 chassis, anyways.
__________________
1985 740GLE sedan winter beater Cali car.
240wagonguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:11 AM   #27
poulrais
Board Member
 
poulrais's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Quebec, CAN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240wagonguy View Post
I also measured all the redblocks and whiteblocks I have lying around. In a 700/900 chassis, using factory engine mounts, the whiteblock and redblock bellhousing flange is the same distance back from the motor mounts. Whiteblock auto bellhousing is same depth as M46 bellhousing. So anything that works for a redblock transmission swap will also work for a whiteblock. In a 7/9 chassis, anyways.
Thanks! Nice info to have. So I guess that the 5 cylinder Whiteblock share the same measurements with the T6 version from the engine mounts to the back.
__________________




1990, Volvo 740 16v +T
1991, Volvo 745T 16V - crushed
build thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=249553
poulrais is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:08 AM   #28
240wagonguy
Board Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Weare, NH
Default

It seems that yes, that the 5 cylinder is shorter by one from the front, as 740 5 cyl swappers use 960 mounts as a bolt in.
240wagonguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:18 AM   #29
940 16 valve
Board Member
 
940 16 valve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Default

Thanks for sharing! Nice to see the serialnine shifter is a good candidate! How do you like the feel on shifts?
I guess this leaves 2 prices to figure out, driveshaft, and how well that lump at the back of the transmission fits in the transmission tunnel of our cars...
Do you have measurements for the overall transmission and driveshaft lengths? I'd be interested to measure how that works out on my IRS car.
__________________
1991 940 - stock b234+t Saab APC at ~14lbs boost http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=243308
t5 swap, wilwoods, Lowered w/ Koni adjustables.
940 16 valve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:21 AM   #30
poulrais
Board Member
 
poulrais's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Quebec, CAN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 16 valve View Post
Thanks for sharing! Nice to see the serialnine shifter is a good candidate! How do you like the feel on shifts?
I guess this leaves 2 prices to figure out, driveshaft, and how well that lump at the back of the transmission fits in the transmission tunnel of our cars...
Do you have measurements for the overall transmission and driveshaft lengths? I'd be interested to measure how that works out on my IRS car.
Since you have an IRS car you could use a modified G35/37 driveshaft. I paid $175 CAD for mine. I guess modifying it will be around $300. These are quite beefy.

I haven't tried shifting with the Serial Nine because I installed it loosely since it's a unit that was landed to me for measuring purposes. I'll probably end up buying it if he wants to sell or I'll order one from Serial Nine. They're in BC so shipping to Quebec shouldn't hurt much.

You want the actual measures for the tranny + unmodified drive shaft?
poulrais is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:16 AM   #31
240wagonguy
Board Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Weare, NH
Default

I don't know if everything is more expensive in Canada. But here I can have a nice 1 piece driveshaft built for $300 all in at my local shop. Since it's a slip yoke trans seems like an easier solution than modding a 2 pc from another make of car.
240wagonguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:56 AM   #32
poulrais
Board Member
 
poulrais's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Quebec, CAN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240wagonguy View Post
I don't know if everything is more expensive in Canada. But here I can have a nice 1 piece driveshaft built for $300 all in at my local shop. Since it's a slip yoke trans seems like an easier solution than modding a 2 pc from another make of car.
You hit the nail right on the head buddy...

And a new slip yoke is around $150. I paid $175 for the drive shaft with the yoke already on.
poulrais is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:03 AM   #33
240wagonguy
Board Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Weare, NH
Default

well, i'd hate to live where hacking in an IRS from another make of car is the cheaper option.

BTW we have poutine here now.
240wagonguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:22 AM   #34
thessejway
Board Member
 
thessejway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Toronto
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240wagonguy View Post
BTW we have poutine here now.
Probably Garbo
You need to go to Quebec for real poutine
__________________
____________________________________________
1993 945t
thessejway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:27 AM   #35
poulrais
Board Member
 
poulrais's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Quebec, CAN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thessejway View Post
Probably Garbo
You need to go to Quebec for real poutine
Actually poutine originated from either Warwick or Drummondville, QC. There is somewhat of a feud about this subject.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poutine
poulrais is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:41 AM   #36
thessejway
Board Member
 
thessejway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Toronto
Default

Either way, still Quebec
thessejway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:19 AM   #37
240wagonguy
Board Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Weare, NH
Default

I did go there a couple years ago and tried it. It's fries, gravy, and cheese curds. I don't think even us Muricans can screw that up.

Maybe when I get my B6304s swap up and running I'll take a trip up for the real thing again. Once I get over this wiring hump. It's alot of wires.
240wagonguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:06 PM   #38
rb92673
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poulrais View Post
Since you have an IRS car you could use a modified G35/37 driveshaft. I paid $175 CAD for mine. I guess modifying it will be around $300. These are quite beefy.

I haven't tried shifting with the Serial Nine because I installed it loosely since it's a unit that was landed to me for measuring purposes. I'll probably end up buying it if he wants to sell or I'll order one from Serial Nine. They're in BC so shipping to Quebec shouldn't hurt much.

You want the actual measures for the tranny + unmodified drive shaft?
Cool that the Nissan shaft might work out.

If the Serial Nine doesn't work out, Yoshifab told me he will have 7/9 series production shifters soon and his target price is less.
rb92673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:28 PM   #39
thessejway
Board Member
 
thessejway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Toronto
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240wagonguy View Post
I did go there a couple years ago and tried it. It's fries, gravy, and cheese curds. I don't think even us Muricans can screw that up.
You'd be surprised
thessejway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:11 PM   #40
poulrais
Board Member
 
poulrais's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Quebec, CAN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thessejway View Post
You'd be surprised
I think that a company in Wisconsin is making curd cheese à la Québécoise now and shipping it to US restaurants that have poutine on their menus.

But anyway, we can write about that meal all day long in OT so lets get back on track guys!
poulrais is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:33 PM   #41
Vincent Gagnon
Board Member
 
Vincent Gagnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Quebec
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poulrais View Post
I think that a company in Wisconsin is making curd cheese à la Québécoise now and shipping it to US restaurants that have poutine on their menus.

But anyway, we can write about that meal all day long in OT so lets get back on track guys!
We were in Seattle this summer, the poutine was all wrong.

Poutine is objectivly more important than whatever this thread is about.
__________________



Vincent Gagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:35 PM   #42
Vincent Gagnon
Board Member
 
Vincent Gagnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Quebec
Default

Was you car IRS? (the 7xx/9xx)?
Vincent Gagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:34 PM   #43
poulrais
Board Member
 
poulrais's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Quebec, CAN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Gagnon View Post
Was you car IRS? (the 7xx/9xx)?
My 740?

It's a 1990 solid axle car. I want to make it IRS though.
poulrais is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:56 PM   #44
Vincent Gagnon
Board Member
 
Vincent Gagnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Quebec
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poulrais View Post
My 740?

It's a 1990 solid axle car. I want to make it IRS though.
Yeah, ok, I wanted to know if you were trying to swap some IRS to replace the Volvo IRS.

Also, your car, being a 1990, have all the mounting point for the Volvo 900 IRS.

Why not use a Volvo IRS I might ask...
Vincent Gagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:17 PM   #45
poulrais
Board Member
 
poulrais's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Quebec, CAN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Gagnon View Post
Yeah, ok, I wanted to know if you were trying to swap some IRS to replace the Volvo IRS.

Also, your car, being a 1990, have all the mounting point for the Volvo 900 IRS.

Why not use a Volvo IRS I might ask...
Nivomat?

I'm looking at an S14 complete rear subframe with the diff and all.
poulrais is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:01 PM   #46
Vincent Gagnon
Board Member
 
Vincent Gagnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Quebec
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poulrais View Post
Nivomat?

I'm looking at an S14 complete rear subframe with the diff and all.
Ah come on now!

Did I say a stock Volvo IRS?

You do know you can put whatever shocks you want right?

Same with the diff.
Vincent Gagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:14 PM   #47
poulrais
Board Member
 
poulrais's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Quebec, CAN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Gagnon View Post
Ah come on now!

Did I say a stock Volvo IRS?

You do know you can put whatever shocks you want right?

Same with the diff.
Yeah... You got me thinking there. I actually have a 1992 960 I could take the IRS from. This could be a easier option and I could spend the $500 on a good set of shocks.
poulrais is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:13 PM   #48
Vincent Gagnon
Board Member
 
Vincent Gagnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Quebec
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poulrais View Post
Yeah... You got me thinking there. I actually have a 1992 960 I could take the IRS from. This could be a easier option and I could spend the $500 on a good set of shocks.
Exactly.

MK1 Volvo Irs.
No stupid weird ass leaf spring thing.

And with a grinder and a welder (and a will to use them) you could put whatever diff you want to put in.











AND,
We know somebody who makes adaptors for the CV axles .

Vincent Gagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 04:36 PM   #49
poulrais
Board Member
 
poulrais's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Quebec, CAN
Default

Did you get to weight that thing?
poulrais is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:43 PM   #50
Vincent Gagnon
Board Member
 
Vincent Gagnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Quebec
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poulrais View Post
Did you get to weight that thing?
The whole assembly?

No.

The subframe itself is not heavy at all and the lower trailing arms (the big ones) are essentially the same.


Educated guess: It's probably a little heavier than the solid axle, but nothing substantial.
Vincent Gagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.